I really loved this game! The story, characters, world building, the art and game play is really top notch! Personally I prefer story, characters and world exploring in my games.

But it is true it was short. I got through all quests I could find with plenty of exploring within a long weekend and was surprised that the end was really the end of the game and not just of an Act.

On the one hand I liked that this was a shorter game I could actually finish and not something that takes to long so that RL interrupts it and makes jumping in again at a later point much more difficult. (I still have to finish the last DLC of Witcher 3 at some point...)

But on the other hand it still left me with the need for more, which is pretty much the same feeling I have after finishing a good book. I wish this game is just the start of a longer series of games with a continued story like Mass Effect.

Edited by PyroDevil

17 hours ago, VaultBoi2077 said:

@xzar_monty : sounds like you're purely an HD graphic player who needs high fidelity graphics to become vested in a video game.  Is it fair to say you'd probably hate GTA San Andreas because of it's dated 3rd gen graphics? And prefer GTA V over GTA SA because GTA V has superior, pretty HD graphics (an non existent character development and short story) compared to past GTA games? 

Then what you said is 100% right. Deep RPGs like New Vegas are definitely not for you. Seriously, why did you even bother creating an account just to post that?

Sounds like Fallout 76 would be a better fit for you. Or better yet, you should go check out Star Citizen.....🤣

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

Once again, you try to paint people in some portrayal based on nothing. GTA V wasn't even shorter than SA lol and how on Earth could you say it didn't have any character development??

New Vegas isn't a deep RPG and neither is TOW. You're full of **** lol but I'm sure you'll have some cop out statement saying I like multiplayer games instead right? You're a clown 

So I have read ALL text, walked everywhere , crafted all used items to level 35 , tried to equip my followers with the best fitting gear for them, talked with them until they haven't had to say anything and listened to conversations from them and on the streets ...

NEEDED 68 hours and haven't been bored a minute ,
but some weeks ago finished also Ghost Recon Breakpoint in 120h hours, where I was bored most of the time ...

SO PREFER 68 hours of fun and interesting gameplay with an epic endgame for me 
than 120h of half boredom !

Wooow JUST FINISHED it 

THANK YOU OBSIDIAN

just watched my 15 minutes or so PERSONALIZED ENDSEQUENZE with tears in my eyes  it was epic !

Only had this 4 or 5 times in my gamer time since 40 !!! years now 
What difference to a all that hundred of games I finished and most of the time it was WTF !

WISH THE WHOLE TEAM the best and love , thank you !
Looking forward for your next games
Keep it up that way 

yours ALEX

7 hours ago, Niklas Wood said:

First off I would like to have a new game+ variant. Playing on so much harder will be playing against a steep hill. And sure for some that is fun to get a really good challenge. Good for you. But I feel that the difficulty will be way too heavy.

Currently playing on Supernova and while being challenging and at times dying frequently, it really isn't all that bad, just requires added caution and planning.  The fact that you can boost group stats up to 50 before laser focusing on the specific type of character you want really helps progression and weeding out what works for you and what doesn't.

It took me 38h to complete the game for the first time. I did every quest and I did everything I could to avoid the fights. I explored Monarch before doing any quest there so most of the places on that moon I visited at least twice so there is my unnecessary time sink. Anyway this game is designed for multiple playthroughs thanks to reactivity, companions and gameplay choices so anyone who whines about Outer Worlds being too short - make another, different run. You know, it's like Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines or Fallout. First Fallout is about 13-18h length. I watched Tim Cain's postmortem on Fallout during GDC 2012. He said that slideshow at the end of the game was reason for many players to start the game over and over again to see different outcome of their choices. Because you know - it's computer (or console) RPG, so it's not like you play once and it's done. Maybe I'm partialy insane becasue there are games which I finished 20-30 times and I stil enjoy playing them. So judging the game about its length - stupid idea. There are open worlds RPG with less content than Outer Worlds because some designers thought that copy-paste question marks fillers are good. No, it's waste of player's time. It's good to see that Obsidian's dev team still know how to make interesting content. I hope that Leonard & Tim will stay with hub-areas design for sequel as he said during the interview with Eurogamer.

Anyway - the Outer Worlds is very good game. I didn't enjoy it as much as other Obsidian's title (mostly because of the combat, which is fun, but some areas could work better with less combat). I took XBOX Game Pass for PC for 1$. I could start second playthrough right now, but I don't want to spoil the fun. I will probably wait until the game launch on Steam and I need to buy better GPU because my gtx 1060 isn't enough to enjoy stylized visuals of this game with stable performance. When it hit the Steam - it's instant buy for me. I hope that DLC (if there will be any DLC) won't be time-exclusive.

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, Niklas Wood said:

II have also finished the game quickly even though I tried to read everything and do every side quest I finished the game in 20 hours of gameplay. But I will admit it was on “normal” mode.

It is a smaller game. And one of the best I have played so far this year. I am happy that obsidian is a company that has done it right and the game justice. 

But as the OP I too agree that the game needs more content.   

After skimming through the other posts I have a kind of response to why I hesitate to replay the game myself on hard or supernova.

First off I would like to have a new game+ variant. Playing on so much harder will be playing against a steep hill. And sure for some that is fun to get a really good challenge. Good for you. But I feel that the difficulty will be way too heavy.
In my opinion the only skills worth maxing out was persuade, lie, hack, lockpick and engineering.
The dialogue skills because they open up a great variety of options during  all dialogues ofc.
Hack and lockpick because the same goes there. Lockpick gives you a huge amount of scraps and Hack opens up a lot of main story as well as sidequest solutions.

Engineering because you HAVE to tinker with at least one weapon to get good enough to do some damage.

What I want to say with this is with a higher difficulty, if you read what changes, it is clear that combat is harder. Enemies do more damage, take less ect ect. Even if all the skills I have mentioned give some combat bonuses it is not near enough what you need or get in the range or melee section. 

So this sets me in at a crossroad. If I play again will I choose to max out the dialogue and all that just because I want to trigger another ending? Or will I be forced to go into combat skills just because I will die horribly otherwise not able to handle the enemies I must dispose of.
Many parts of the game is designed to be more about combat than the dialogue. You still have to kill monsters and marauders in order to complete the quests.

A new game+ would sort of fix this.

Also replaying the game is very much the same.
All companion quests will be the same, with little to change.
All side quests will be much the same with minor changes.
What will change is how you approach the main quests ofc.

I must say that I hesitate a lot to convince me it is worthwhile just to do almost all the same, talk to the same people but in a different way so that you just trigger another ending. I would want more changes in the game. That it would be clear the you only reach some major areas with some major choices. For example that if you help one town but not the other you will get quests that send you to a place you would not reach if you didn't help them. The same would go if you helped others instead. That would be a major change worthwhile replaying the game over, to experience new parts depending on how it goes.

As of now the changes are just to small in my opinoin

On replay value: Would suggest playing on supernova but with NO companions. Because after all, if gameplay involving companions is as linear as you suggest, then why bother punishing yourself with the deja vu? 

Just take the perk that benefits you for being a lone wanderer. And since you focused on charisma (I always opt for this regardless of what my ultimate role will be), then why not focus on being a charismatic sociopath? The type of guy who is cloak and dagger to his NPC faction allies. Doesn't have a problem smiling at Pavarati before bludgeoning her to death when she turns her back. Or quietly murdering their companions because Ada irritated him once too many times. Basically, the sort of PC who completely  lacks a moral compass or conscience when given the ethical choice to not kick a hapless puppy or steal candy from a baby.

Let your PC be a charismatic Hannibal Lector (or Jigsaw if more Melee type) who is pro board/corporation as long as it benefits him in the long run i.e. gives him the greatest amount of personal gain/monetary assets etc. And be uninhibited enough to let your PC's inner psychopath run wild in social situations in public. Or if you're the more sneakier type, preferably in dark alleyways away from prying eyes of the good citizens of Halcyon.  You could even make it your goal to antagonize all the factions. Drive your repuation with them to -100%. What impact does that have on the game ending in that case?

Edited by VaultBoi2077

10 hours ago, imitenotbecrazy said:

Once again, you try to paint people in some portrayal based on nothing. GTA V wasn't even shorter than SA lol and how on Earth could you say it didn't have any character development??

New Vegas isn't a deep RPG and neither is TOW. You're full of **** lol but I'm sure you'll have some cop out statement saying I like multiplayer games instead right? You're a clown 

What's your basis for your opinion in the first statement? I base my subjective view on the extent of replay value (number of hours playing heavily modded versions of  SA and GTA V).

First, Rockstar got lazy and decided to shorten the MQ by dividing it among 3 characters instead of one. Rockstar also decided to conveniently forget that the state of SA consisted of A THREE COUNTY AKA 3 DISTINCT MAPS by GTA lore. Yet somehow, GTA V was magically transformed into a SINGLE WATER BOUND ISLAND with MOST of the map being underwater. With ZERO game play by means of underwater mission or side quest associated activities. And has remained that way since game release over 5 years ago?  The fact Rockstar used GTA V as a $60+ tutorial and license key for GTAO. Where they locked away the best content (aka from drip feed to clothing, to DLC like Smuggers/MC/Gunrunners etc. that added much requested fan base business for single player the way SA did over a decade ago?  They way Rockstar cut critical features like the Doomsday Heists for single player and put that into GTAO instead?

All that sort of  tomf*ckery devs like Rockstar (and now Bethesda with F76) has smeared all under your nose, yet you still can't comprehend WHY ppl are still playing heavily modded versions of SA and New Vegas today??

On character development, the 3 protagonists in GTAV were completely forgettable. I had no desire to immediately replay the game (at least until mods could be made to add sandbox content) because the game and all 3 protagonists were that bland. Some degree of exception could be made for Trevor (who the devs clearly went over the top in characterizing as the game's resident psychopath). But the other two were completely forgettable.  

As the remaining fluff in your post: seems you're out of intelligent things to say.  So now you launch into juvenile personal attacks? I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not the typical minor who was born after the creation of Google. Because your assessment about New Vegas (assuming you ARE old enough to have played FO3 when it first came out) sure sounds like it.

Finally, you don't know me personally irl and so I don't give a flying f@ck what you think.  Particularly since I'm entitled to my opinions on this forum just like anyone else here. Go find someone else to flamebait. I'm simply not interested. 

Cheers.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Silvaren said:

It took me 38h to complete the game for the first time. I did every quest and I did everything I could to avoid the fights. I explored Monarch before doing any quest there so most of the places on that moon I visited at least twice so there is my unnecessary time sink. Anyway this game is designed for multiple playthroughs thanks to reactivity, companions and gameplay choices so anyone who whines about Outer Worlds being too short - make another, different run. You know, it's like Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines or Fallout. First Fallout is about 13-18h length. I watched Tim Cain's postmortem on Fallout during GDC 2012. He said that slideshow at the end of the game was reason for many players to start the game over and over again to see different outcome of their choices. Because you know - it's computer (or console) RPG, so it's not like you play once and it's done. Maybe I'm partialy insane becasue there are games which I finished 20-30 times and I stil enjoy playing them. So judging the game about its length - stupid idea. There are open worlds RPG with less content than Outer Worlds because some designers thought that copy-paste question marks fillers are good. No, it's waste of player's time. It's good to see that Obsidian's dev team still know how to make interesting content. I hope that Leonard & Tim will stay with hub-areas design for sequel as he said during the interview with Eurogamer.

Anyway - the Outer Worlds is very good game. I didn't enjoy it as much as other Obsidian's title (mostly because of the combat, which is fun, but some areas could work better with less combat). I took XBOX Game Pass for PC for 1$. I could start second playthrough right now, but I don't want to spoil the fun. I will probably wait until the game launch on Steam and I need to buy better GPU because my gtx 1060 isn't enough to enjoy stylized visuals of this game with stable performance. When it hit the Steam - it's instant buy for me. I hope that DLC (if there will be any DLC) won't be time-exclusive.

Well to be correct your not buying anything on Steam. Your renting it for full price. Valve can stop your access to your games at any given time. All you pay for is access to the game while Valve say you can. 

But it's come out recently you don't own anhthing you pay for on Steam whatsoever. 

On 11/4/2019 at 4:20 AM, daven said:

Hmm... how do you get the motivation to immediately replay a game you rushed through in a week? Takes me years to muster the will to replay games i've completed.

When those games change nothing on replay i agree: skyrim.

I have played multiple characters with completely different skillsets for a few hours each in the first area and the actual varying gameplay is obvious.

Thats why content locks, alternating choice/consequence, customization, restricted/quality dialogue content and deep rpg mechanics are what make an actual rpg.

Thats why The Outer Worlds is a true rpg.

Edited by thearmourofGod

On 11/4/2019 at 6:20 AM, daven said:

Hmm... how do you get the motivation to immediately replay a game you rushed through in a week? Takes me years to muster the will to replay games i've completed.

Usually its for me, but I did immediately start a new game after finishing (though I am now using a mod that turns off most of the HUD).

On 11/4/2019 at 7:20 AM, daven said:

I was curious to see how much difference the various choices actually make.  Early on in my second play through (no spoilers), I can say that I've had a new questline added and more options available to me by choosing the option I didn't pick my first time through.

On the flip side, the quests that *don't* change are a bit more difficult to push through because I know exactly how it's going to play out with very, very little deviation regardless of what choices I make to solve them.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)