It was known long before release that The Outer Worlds was a smaller game than Obsidian usually makes due to budget limitations. Hopefully we will see dlc, but if we don't it will also be due to the contract between Private Division and Obsidian. Or, rather, the fact that after the Microsoft acquisition of Obsidian the fact that a third party publisher no longer need fund Obsidian's work. If we don't see dlc it seems likely we will see a full blown sequel with a budget that allows for a larger game with more of the most popular fan requested features (like a 3rd person camera.)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

I know it's a difficult question to properly answer, but how much shorter/smaller is The Outer Worlds than the games that "Obsidian usually makes"? Any way to quantify this?

Here's the HLTB scores for each Obsidian game:

• Star Wars: Nights of the Old Republic 2 - The Sith Lords: 30-51 hours
  • Neverwinter Nights 2: 59-114 hours
  • Alpha Protocol: 13-25 hours
  • Fallout: New Vegas: 27-132 hours
  • Dungeon Siege III: 14-26 hours
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth: 11-19 hours
  • Pillars of Eternity: 35-99 hours
  • Tyranny: 20-42 hours
  • Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire: 40-76 hours
  • The Outer Worlds: 10-28 hours

Obsidian do seem to alternate between mid-length and long games based on the above, yet it's arguable that the games they're best known for tend to be the longer ones (i.e. Fallout: New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity, Neverwinter Nights 2, with KOTOR 2 being the outlier) so perception tends to skew towards those as the norm for them. In truth, it seems The Outer Worlds is no shorter than other games they've made like The Stick of Truth or Alpha Protocol, though it is quite a ways shorter than the two it's regularly compared to from their catalogue.

That said, I reckon I'm about 40% of the way through the game and I've so far player for 22 hours myself. I do recognize I tend to be *very* lax in my playthroughs however. Still, your mileage may vary.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I fired up the game the moment it was available in the UK, but yeah, I've only managed a couple of hours each night due to work, family time and sleep. I just reached Monarch last night.

Then again, I tend to spend a LOT of time in these games. Pillars of Eternity for example, I've clocked 150 hours so far but I don't believe I'm anywhere near to finishing. 😛

• Like 1

How you finished the game so soon?
Even if its quite smaller than FO4, you need serious time to explore the places. Unless, if you see the green map-mark and you sprinting towards that and you super-fast running here and there to continue further the quest. Sorry, but this is not a "RPG-like" gaming style, this is a... Fortnite style, to run like hell and kill the objective target.

Personally, I'm super slowly exploring the place, I love the alien-extra terrestrial places' look and I want to see more, to explore all the place, etc.

That's why it takes me MUCH LONGER to finish a quest (and I'm always finishing the SIDE-quests, leaving the main always last).

13 hours ago, daven said:

The game has been out less than a week. Have you done nothing else in this time? Don't you have a job to go to? People to see? Exercise? Things to do?

It's a pretty short game. Doesn't take much to get through it. I played the first two days while working from home and finished at just under 17 hours. The main quest was about 12 hours long. 

My Supernova (first run) playthrough took a little bit over 40 hours. This is was playing very cautious early on and exploring every nook and cranny. 

On my second run, I expect to finish in about 10-15 hours at the rate I'm going

I will definitely be doing a third melee focused run. And most likely will do more if any decent difficulty mods get released, I feel the game is too easy on Supernova to be quite honest. 

On 10/29/2019 at 5:21 PM, sjb10104 said:

Needs more content.  Fallout series took longer to complete.  I like the game but completed it way to soon.  Plus completed all missions, including side missions, but two.  Lets hope for a expansion pack.

To be honest I couldn't finish Fallout 4. I played about 25 hours and gave up. It just wasn't the RPG for me. It moved so far away from what I feel and RPG is and had so many mechanics I didn't like that I got bored of the empty open world it had. 

I actually prefer my RPGs to clock in from around 40-60 hours. I find this length to be almost perfect for great writing with in all quests. Going over that towards the 100 mark 99% of the time means I'll be bored doing repetitive fetch quests with next to no story impact or the writing is so bad because the developer has to much to write for. 

So far I'm at 30 hours in TOW and have plenty still to do. And I haven't felt at all that any of it is not worth doing. And so fsr all quests are written so well. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 1:21 PM, sjb10104 said:

Needs more content.  Fallout series took longer to complete.  I like the game but completed it way to soon.  Plus completed all missions, including side missions, but two.  Lets hope for a expansion pack.

So what you're bragging to everyone is that you completed ONE playthrough of the MQ? When the design of this game isn't linear AND you have several RP options to interact with NPCs? All of which may or may not lead to the same consequences of your actions? Are you even aware of the fact THERE ARE SEVERAL ENDINGS TO THE MQ OF THIS GAME?

I really wonder why players like you even bother to fool yourself into believing you're into RP games the caliber that Obsidian make.  

What was your record time for "beating" Fallout New Vegas (assuming you even played it) with ALL it's DLCs btw?   Just asking for a friend

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, thearmourofGod said:

lol at 12 hours

good grief 

how pathetic of you

its only short if you choose to shorten it

go buy call of duty and play multi

You beat me to it. Like I said, doesn't appear deep RPs like this (or even shallow Bethesda designed ones like Skyrim and FO4) are the sort of games the suit the OP. I seriously doubt the OP is really a dedicated PvE gamer. His post is completely indicative of a PvP gamer who got bored with the Pew Pew fest that is CoD/BF and hacker cesspool that is GTAO.  😂

OP should consider  becoming a fan boi for the dumpster fire that is F76. Sounds like OP would be in nirvana playing F76 tbh. Especially given the mindless bug infested grind, onging cheat player exploits, non existent replay value (thanks to lack of NPCs and delay of Wastelanders), crappy Nuclear Winter BR mode nobody really cares to play, and now featuring Private! servers (NOT), all which are poisoned by the toxic macro transactions of Bethesda's Atomic Store. 🤣

Edited by VaultBoi2077
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2019 at 2:35 PM, xzar_monty said:

I know it's a difficult question to properly answer, but how much shorter/smaller is The Outer Worlds than the games that "Obsidian usually makes"? Any way to quantify this?

Fallout 1 & 2 (they're the original creators of the fallout franchise NOT Todd Howard)

Fallout New Vegas

Neverwinter Nights

Baldur's Gate

Stick of Truth

SWKOTOR

Pillars of Eternity

too much to list here. Go play any of these legacy titles and then share your discoveries by posting back here.

as FYI, you could easily answer your own question. Google is your friend. One search hit this accurate list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian_Entertainment#Released

I must have tempered my expectations very well, because I haven't found Outer world's particularly short.  Mind you, I am reading all the terminals and exhausting most of the dialog options.  I must be at least 20 hours in and have just arrived at Byzantium.

If you skip dialog and don't interact with your companions.  Yes this game is short.  Though if that's the way you want to play, this game may not be for you.

Luckily there are a ton of games that are padded with endless fetch quests for you to sink your teeth into.  No judging from me.

Edited by Theonlygarby
  • Like 1

Yes I myself made the mistake of keeping the main story front and center on my first playthrough and once I finished it the central opinion I formulated was "phenomenal game" but "too short".

On my second playthrough, however, there was so much content and quests I missed that took me by surprise, especially the companion quests which net you loads of xp on completion, that I genuinely felt stupid (I usually play as solo chars, managing companion abilities and personal abilities simultaneously annoys me). 

Currently am playing on the hardest difficulty as a solo character and if you actually take the time to raze through the worlds and quests, there's still a whole bunch of side content that keeps you going, even w/o companions!

• Thanks 1

On 10/29/2019 at 12:35 PM, xzar_monty said:

The game can be as long or as short as you want it. I did all the main quests and all the companion quests and it was around 50 hrs. 50 hrs you say? This game is SOOO well written and the dialogue is utterly fantastic,  that I didn't want to miss any of it. The companion quests are fun and varied with some heart-wrenching moments thrown in for good measure.  It was abundantly clear to me the developers put an extreme amount of care and love into this game and it showed at every turn.  Just my ever so humble opinion but don't pass up the opportunity to play this if you like RPG's even a little. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Antonus said:

The game can be as long or as short as you want it. I did all the main quests and all the companion quests and it was around 50 hrs.

Well, no it can't. I know you were not being literal, but you were not making sense, either. It definitely takes a certain number of hours to get to the end or even get anything realistic done (thus, not "as short as you want"), and after a certain point, there is nothing but repetition and/or walking across content-empty maps in games like this (thus, not "as long as you want").

Anyway, I looked at the gameplay on a trailer-type video, and the graphics were enough to put me off. Just not for me. Doesn't matter.

@xzar_monty : sounds like you're purely an HD graphic player who needs high fidelity graphics to become vested in a video game.  Is it fair to say you'd probably hate GTA San Andreas because of it's dated 3rd gen graphics? And prefer GTA V over GTA SA because GTA V has superior, pretty HD graphics (an non existent character development and short story) compared to past GTA games? 

Then what you said is 100% right. Deep RPGs like New Vegas are definitely not for you. Seriously, why did you even bother creating an account just to post that?

Sounds like Fallout 76 would be a better fit for you. Or better yet, you should go check out Star Citizen.....🤣

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

• Haha 1

I have also finished the game quickly even though I tried to read everything and do every side quest I finished the game in 20 hours of gameplay. But I will admit it was on “normal” mode.

It is a smaller game. And one of the best I have played so far this year. I am happy that obsidian is a company that has done it right and the game justice. 

But as the OP I too agree that the game needs more content.   

After skimming through the other posts I have a kind of response to why I hesitate to replay the game myself on hard or supernova.

First off I would like to have a new game+ variant. Playing on so much harder will be playing against a steep hill. And sure for some that is fun to get a really good challenge. Good for you. But I feel that the difficulty will be way too heavy.
In my opinion the only skills worth maxing out was persuade, lie, hack, lockpick and engineering.
The dialogue skills because they open up a great variety of options during  all dialogues ofc.
Hack and lockpick because the same goes there. Lockpick gives you a huge amount of scraps and Hack opens up a lot of main story as well as sidequest solutions.

Engineering because you HAVE to tinker with at least one weapon to get good enough to do some damage.

What I want to say with this is with a higher difficulty, if you read what changes, it is clear that combat is harder. Enemies do more damage, take less ect ect. Even if all the skills I have mentioned give some combat bonuses it is not near enough what you need or get in the range or melee section. 

So this sets me in at a crossroad. If I play again will I choose to max out the dialogue and all that just because I want to trigger another ending? Or will I be forced to go into combat skills just because I will die horribly otherwise not able to handle the enemies I must dispose of.
Many parts of the game is designed to be more about combat than the dialogue. You still have to kill monsters and marauders in order to complete the quests.

A new game+ would sort of fix this.

Also replaying the game is very much the same.
All companion quests will be the same, with little to change.
All side quests will be much the same with minor changes.
What will change is how you approach the main quests ofc.

I must say that I hesitate a lot to convince me it is worthwhile just to do almost all the same, talk to the same people but in a different way so that you just trigger another ending. I would want more changes in the game. That it would be clear the you only reach some major areas with some major choices. For example that if you help one town but not the other you will get quests that send you to a place you would not reach if you didn't help them. The same would go if you helped others instead. That would be a major change worthwhile replaying the game over, to experience new parts depending on how it goes.

As of now the changes are just to small in my opinoin

• Thanks 1