11 hours ago, Wormerine said:

His writing can be descriptive and wordy which clashes with pacing of a game. Say what you want about amount of reading required for Grieving Mother quest, but he story thematically foreshadowed the "reveal" beautifully, potentially making you question morality of what Thaos is doing, depending on whenever you decided that what GM did was right or wrong. This is what I liked about his work, and this is what makes Planescape so excellent. 

I've never complained about the amount of reading required in computer games, believe you me. 😀

It just so happened, by the way, that I never got to the end of the Grieving Mother quest, because it was (was it?) rest-related or something like that, and I didn't get all the triggers. But what I did see was too ethereal and lavishly descriptive for my liking.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Wormerine said:

I found filler fights to be a problem in base game

Maybe I'm colored by the fact that I played PoE1 since backer beta, but I agree with Wormerine's take. There was just so many filler fights in base game on PotD. Like, basically an entire map would be covered with trash fights of no consequence: every time you reveal fog of war there would be more enemies to fight. Like WTF.

By the time WM1 came around, they had already started learning their lesson, and I thought WM2 was a great balance (and by then they had trimmed filler fights from parts of the base game). I espeically liked that WM2 had larger areas with more things to do in them, versus the PoE1/WM1/Deadfire(unfortunately) common approach of having small areas with a few things to do in them. Felt like there was more exploration. Reminded me of the better wilderness areas of BG and some of the best maps in BG2.

Deadfire did better on the trash side. If anything, until the DLCs came out, I thought there wasn't enough fighting.

Edited by thelee

2 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Don't forget that a lot of the base game's trash fights were removed with a patch some time after release. 

And the shocking thing is that this PoE1 I never experienced xD. Still I found myself clearing empty maps full of same time enemies, without interesting map construction or varied enemy compostition, only to delve into CaedNua and fight yet more of the same enemies. 

I enjoyed Deadfire pacing the most in TurnBased Mode. In real time its a bit too easy to just roll through most of the encounters without even looking what you are facing.  Which reminds me, I still have Deadly Deadfire to try. Hmmmm....

3 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Don't forget that a lot of the base game's trash fights were removed with a patch some time after release. 

This is probably the reason why I didn't experience the base game as being full of filler (sic). I waited a long long time before I started my playthrough.