Love the game, but...

I absolutely adore the game. However, one major criticism I have is the horrendous choice of color palette for outdoor environments. It's an absolute eyesore. I don't know if someone on the team worked on No Man's Sky, but that's what it looks like. It's so bad, I've been trying to adjust the color on my TV to make it bearable. Please don't do this in the future. A patch to correct this would be great.

The other major knock I have on the game is the betrayal of PC players who want to play on Steam. Selling out to Epic was a pure greed move. I bought the game on Xbox to avoid supporting Epic's anti-consumer practices, but Obsidian just as guilty as Epic in this matter. Please show that you care about your customers next time by not complying with Epic's immoral antics. Thank you.

I love the colour palette, though I also don't think a saturation slider on the graphics settings would be a bad idea. Personally I feel it fits the pulpy space adventure feel really well, and also really helps it stand out against the plethora of drab AA/AAA FPSes out there. Generally speaking the game's aesthetic is wonderful for me.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Betrayal?!?!? Hahaha! These comments about steam and epic just get sillier.

But about the outdoor areas, from the footage I've seen yeah I kind of agree it looks like someone threw up all over everything. Maybe that's the point?

nowt

Obsidian likely had little or no say in the epic deal, its Private Division you should be mad at and to be honest they just did what was financially in their best interest. While I think that was a bad descisions it's epic offering these silly deals that are difficult to refuse because it's pretty much a gaurentee that you won't make a massive loss. 

I like the colour palette but I agree that a saturation slider would have been a good idea. 

Edited by Mikeymoonshine
  • Like 1

It's a bright color palette, I'm not entirely sure people are aware of why everything was grey and brown for so long, but it was an issue with lighting technology at the time. We've actually got the ability to have decent refracted light simulation so bright colors don't look "wrong" in a difficult to define way. Personally I like the style, but there are already mods that strip out the color for people who don't care for it. https://www.nexusmods.com/theouterworlds/mods/16

Amusingly the mod authors assume you'll be using the Epic Store version. I personally only have the Gamepass version so I don't know if Microsoft lets people who bought the game instead of those of us who are just renting it access and change files.

Also, Obsidian was updating the Steam store page an hour before the news that The Outer Worlds was going to be Epic "exclusive" broke, game publishers do the job of e.g. getting your game on Steam. This actually used to be a selling point for mid-small developers to sign on with smaller publishers before anyone could pay 100 bucks and put anything they wanted on Steam. If you dislike the fact that it's an Epic exclusive, take it up with Private Division and be glad that Microsoft has no need to trade customer good will for a quick check from Epic's Fortnight fund so this was already not going to happen again before you complained about it.

Edited by Clawdius_Talonious
  • Like 1

I absolutely love the colours of the game. It's what make it different and unique and NOT another Fallout game. 

I suppose you can fiddle with control panel colour settings if you're on PC or your TV maybe if you're on console. Make a custom profile and you can pretty much have it the way you want. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheRoadstar said:

I absolutely adore the game. However, one major criticism I have is the horrendous choice of color palette for outdoor environments. It's an absolute eyesore. I don't know if someone on the team worked on No Man's Sky, but that's what it looks like. It's so bad, I've been trying to adjust the color on my TV to make it bearable. Please don't do this in the future. A patch to correct this would be great.

The other major knock I have on the game is the betrayal of PC players who want to play on Steam. Selling out to Epic was a pure greed move. I bought the game on Xbox to avoid supporting Epic's anti-consumer practices, but Obsidian just as guilty as Epic in this matter. Please show that you care about your customers next time by not complying with Epic's immoral antics. Thank you.

You might want to check out some reshade mods and then tweak on your own, perhaps reduce saturation on the colors, that should tone it down quite a bit.

12 hours ago, TheRoadstar said:

-Hey, your game makes my eyes bleed, but I love it. Also, I love it so much that I'd prefer to give more money to the people selling it than people who actually made it, because they invented anti-consumer practices and became rich thanks to it since decades.

Edited by Merzhinhudour

I love the colors in this game! My first step out of the pod and I was " The colors, omg, the colors!" You've played Fallout and other games with depressing lack of color environments for too long if this makes your eyes bleed. And it has places in it with lesser colors so it's not like you are made to look at non stop bright colors.