When you first get companions, it says they can help by transferring your stuff to them when you are over encumbered.

I have spent an age trying to but cannot, I have also scoured the net but to no avail.

If anyone knows how you can transfer items to your companions, give them new weapons and armour, or take weapons/armour off them, please enlighten me!

If, for some illogical reason none of the above is possible please also enlighten me.

Many thanks

Your carry weight goes up by 40 (IIRC) when you have companions along with you. You don't have to micromanage them, they just help you carry more stuff. Later another 40 per companion is available from a perk.

If you're carrying too much stuff, try breaking down extra weapons or armors for parts. Selling consumables is also a good way to free up inventory space, Rapt meat weighs 1 per, so that will stack up PDQ.

Your carry weight is increased by simply having companions with you. You also gain buffs to certain skills based on their area of expertise.

If you want to swap out their weapons and armour, you do this via their tab. When you have companions in your party, open your inventory. You should then see that along the top of the screen, where you see your character. inventory, journal, etc, you have a tab for each companion currently travelling with you.

Thanks for the reply's guys, I am a veteran of the fallout games so I am well acquainted with how it all works but, you cannot actually remove anything from them or give them anything can you?

if I wanted to give them a certain weapon, or take one from them, you cannot (at least, I cannot), the only thing you can do is just change what weapon/armour they are using from the selection that they themselves are holding. If I wanted to take a pistol from them that I don't want them using so I can break it down, how can I do that?

You can just drag and drop from their tab, it defaults to weapons but you can click the armor tab and drag and drop as well. If you just want to take what they have and leave them nothing, AFAIK you can't, but you can drop in a different weapon (they have a slot for melee and a slot for ranged.) In The Outer Worlds you could equip your followers with the heaviest armors you have (some weigh as much as 15 units) and they won't count against your carried weight.

I'm really not sure what having played the Fallout games has to do with anything. No game in that series has automatic inventory weight distribution, necessitating a micromanaging of ally equipment. This is completely different, it just increases the cap you see in your inventory by a set amount for each follower you have. (20 initially I think, then 60 later if you get the pack mules perk.)

4 hours ago, Clawdius_Talonious said:

You can just drag and drop from their tab, it defaults to weapons but you can click the armor tab and drag and drop as well. If you just want to take what they have and leave them nothing, AFAIK you can't, but you can drop in a different weapon (they have a slot for melee and a slot for ranged.) In The Outer Worlds you could equip your followers with the heaviest armors you have (some weigh as much as 15 units) and they won't count against your carried weight.

I'm really not sure what having played the Fallout games has to do with anything. No game in that series has automatic inventory weight distribution, necessitating a micromanaging of ally equipment. This is completely different, it just increases the cap you see in your inventory by a set amount for each follower you have. (20 initially I think, then 60 later if you get the pack mules perk.)

Thanks again for your further reply.  As regards to your remark about whether the fallout games having anything to do with the outer worlds, the outer worlds is made by most of the people who made the good fallout games (all of them up to the abysmal fallout 76 or whatever its called) and the similarities and mechanics are near identical and the way they regard weight restrictions for the player and companions are different in the outer worlds but extensive knowledge of the fallout games means the differences are mitigated by previous knowledge. My post wasn’t about the weight mechanics, just on how to move items from me to them and thanks to your reply it seems as though clicking and dragging from my tab to the companions’ tab (and vice versa) might be the winner.

Will check tonight and if that’s the winner I owe you a beer.

Thanks in advance for the (hopefully) correct answer.

ah, I get it now!

You can't take their weapons/armour because it is a shared inventory between player and companions.  Any weapon/armour not being used by the player will used by your companions, you can obviously choose what they wield/wear . It occurred to me when the (companion) was using the gun that I was trying to equip.

When you want to repair/tinker/modify their equipment, be sure to deselect it from their load out.

I'm sure it was obvious to some people from the start but, if you end up here seeking the knowledge above, I'm glad it helped someone else.

and don't forget, it's not your choice, it's spacers' choice