Vulcan's Hammer side quest issue. (Spoilers)

Spoilers obviously for this part of the story.  

So In Roseway with the three scientists you can either give them their research or sell it to Gladys to complete the quests and with the other two there are ways to resolve their quests with them and still selling their research. This quest though it seems like you either give it back to him or the quest is marked as "botched" it just seems odd to me. Even though there are interactions for refusing to give it back to him or reporting him. You can even get the force pistol off him and sell the research but the quest still shows up as botched. Am I missing something or is this just how it is for this quest? It's not even that much of a bother to me I just find it odd that the other two have alternative ways to end the quest. 

Edited by Mikeymoonshine

On 10/28/2019 at 4:15 PM, Mikeymoonshine said:

Spoilers obviously for this part of the story.  

So In Roseway with the three scientists you can either give them their research or sell it to Gladys to complete the quests and with the other two there are ways to resolve their quests with them and still selling their research. This quest though it seems like you either give it back to him or the quest is marked as "botched" it just seems odd to me. Even though there are interactions for refusing to give it back to him or reporting him. You can even get the force pistol off him and sell the research but the quest still shows up as botched. Am I missing something or is this just how it is for this quest? It's not even that much of a bother to me I just find it odd that the other two have alternative ways to end the quest. 

That sounds about right.

You did 'botch' the quest if you don't give them the research. You sold it off to someone else, which ends up being another quest-line entirely. So in this case you failed the quest to support the scientists and gave back the research.

If I understood correctly.

29 minutes ago, Devilangel58 said:

That sounds about right.

You did 'botch' the quest if you don't give them the research. You sold it off to someone else, which ends up being another quest-line entirely. So in this case you failed the quest to support the scientists and gave back the research.

If I understood correctly.

But the other two scientists you have alternative ways of ending the quest. One of them you can say the data was stolen and the other you can use science skill to make twice as much of the stuff he was making and only give him half. 

It's just odd to me cos most quests have multiple ways of completing them but that one doesn't seem to. 

I think this is for the sake of tracking for game logic sense.

In this case, you only complete those quests when tech would be handed to them (I presume).

That two-batch quest sounds the most interesting though as you do 'technically' give him half, which was the batch he was expecting. Though, I still think this comes down to game logic. It's how the game will determine whether or not you will need to buy from Gladys or not - assuming they did some sort of "if this, then that, else this" kind of logic in the coding. This is event-based, at least I would think. I'm not well-versed in the programming world to know the different types of coding and all, so it beats me how they coded it.

Best I can say is it is like a cooking recipe and checking what is crossed off the list and what is 'checked' on the list so you know what to do next. So while technically, you can increase the ingredients in your recipe to make something bigger, or shrink it accordingly, it's still a checklist.

Yeah, it's weird but it works. Like it actually works! 🤣

• Like 1