Jump to content
DonnyViper

Game crashes to desktop on start

Recommended Posts

Wanted to join the chorus of people that are having this similar issue.  Running the game, either through the Epic Launcher or by directly clicking the .EXE file results in a black screen for a split second, and then a return to the desktop.  I have not got farther than that since downloading the game 32 hours ago.

I have tried several fixes recommended by others to no avail, including (but not limited to):

-Downloading the Media Feature Pack (which does not help because I do not have an "N" version of Windows)

-Updating NVidia graphics drivers (even rolled back to previous version as well, no change)

-Updating Windows 10

-Utilizing system file check from the Windows command prompt

-Downclocking my CPU

-Disabling any program running that has a screen overlay, including Geforce Experience

-Disabling GSync via the Nvidia control panel

-Disabling or enabling any "Xbox" related services in the Task Manager

-I do not have MSI Afterburner installed

-Disabling then re-enabling "Set Time Automatically" via adjusting date/time in Windows

-Disabling background services

-Disabling startup videos

-Re-installed the game and re-verified files several times

I'm sure there are other things I have tried but these are the ones I can remember off-hand. 

Yes, my system is more than equipped to run the game, with a RTX 2080 Ti, 32 GB Ram, and an Intel i7-6700K 4.0 Ghz CPU.  Any help would be appreciated.

 

UPDATE: I installed the game on my work computer this morning and it works right out of the gate.  However my home PC, which is much powerful and up-to-date than my work computer, still will not run the game at all.  Could it be some sort of software installed on my home PC that is preventing the game from launching at all?

Edited by DonnyViper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you checked if the system uses your geforce card and not the integrated one? What about windows event logger?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try changing the display mode and resolution directly in the INI files:

 

 

User Config Files Location
Windows (Win64 Version)
%LocalAppData%\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\

Microsoft Store (UWP Version)
%LocalAppData%\Packages\PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_hv3d7yfbgr2rp\LocalCache\Local\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\

 

 

Create or Edit the file GameUserSettings.ini

 

This is an example of some of the settings you can configure. This is generic to all Unreal Engine games.

fetch?id=1113876&d=1471416130

FullscreenMode=2
0 is fullscreen
1 is windowed fullscreen
2 is windowed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Pilda said:

Have you checked if the system uses your geforce card and not the integrated one? What about windows event logger?

My system is using my RTX 2080 Ti, as I do not have an integrated card.  All other games run fine on my PC without any problems (including newly released games, such as Modern Warfare).  All other games I have installed via the Epic Games Launcher run fine as well. 

As far as the windows event logger, I'd have to check when I get home this evening.  I'll reply back with any info then.

3 minutes ago, TheDON3k said:

Try changing the display mode and resolution directly in the INI files:

 

 

User Config Files Location
Windows (Win64 Version)
%LocalAppData%\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\

Microsoft Store (UWP Version)
%LocalAppData%\Packages\PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_hv3d7yfbgr2rp\LocalCache\Local\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\

 

 

Create or Edit the file GameUserSettings.ini

 

This is an example of some of the settings you can configure. This is generic to all Unreal Engine games.

fetch?id=1113876&d=1471416130

FullscreenMode=2
0 is fullscreen
1 is windowed fullscreen
2 is windowed

I will try this when I am back at my home PC this evening, however the .INI files are blank as of now, as the game has never properly launched.

Edited by DonnyViper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What version of windows are your running? If you type "winver" into the search bar. I have the same issues and I am on Windows 10 1909 ( OS Build 18363.449)

 

Event Viewer says this

Faulting application name: IndianaWindowsStore-Win64-Shipping.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: xgameruntime.dll, version: 10.0.18363.8098, time stamp: 0x62107ebd
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000002502a
Faulting process id: 0x3a18
Faulting application start time: 0x01d58dd547b476bf
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_1.0.369.0_x64__hv3d7yfbgr2rp\Indiana\Binaries\Win64\IndianaWindowsStore-Win64-Shipping.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\xgameruntime.dll
Report Id: 7992c512-ebf7-485a-84ef-2fe726188ad7
Faulting package full name: PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_1.0.369.0_x64__hv3d7yfbgr2rp
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

 

Which leads me to believe this is an is with Gaming Services with 1909 update.

Edited by Breadwinka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Breadwinka said:

What version of windows are your running? If you type "winver" into the search bar. I have the same issues and I am on Windows 10 1909 ( OS Build 18363.449)

 

Event Viewer says this

Faulting application name: IndianaWindowsStore-Win64-Shipping.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: xgameruntime.dll, version: 10.0.18363.8098, time stamp: 0x62107ebd
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000002502a
Faulting process id: 0x3a18
Faulting application start time: 0x01d58dd547b476bf
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_1.0.369.0_x64__hv3d7yfbgr2rp\Indiana\Binaries\Win64\IndianaWindowsStore-Win64-Shipping.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\xgameruntime.dll
Report Id: 7992c512-ebf7-485a-84ef-2fe726188ad7
Faulting package full name: PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_1.0.369.0_x64__hv3d7yfbgr2rp
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

 

Which leads me to believe this is an is with Gaming Services with 1909 update.

I'll check when I'm back at my home PC, but I'm positive it is completely updated so it's probably 1909.  In contrast, my work PC is build 1809 and the game runs fine.  We may be on to something here.


If this happens to be the issue, I'm willing to bet we can roll back to 1809 so we can play until this issue is fixed, which I will test tonight.

Edited by DonnyViper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You do have integrated graphic card according to the fact you have that intel processor. Sometimes games try to use the integrated graphic card instead of the dedicated and it can causes problems since the integrated card is weak and often doesn't have all the important instruction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So after checking last night, my home PC is also Windows verison 1809.  I went ahead and updated to 1903 and still no change.  Game will not launch.

I tried the additional steps last night, to no avail:

-Reinstalled to another drive

-Uninstalled all run time libraries and reinstalled (via the All In One Runtimes Download)

Still cannot launch the game.  I've e-mailed both Obsidian and Private Division with my dxdiag info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone still having problems getting the game to run at all and are having similar crash to desktop issues on startup, this is the solution that finally worked for me, which was suggested by Private Divisions: create a new Windows User Profile and run the game from there.  As soon as I tried this, the game ran immediately.  It still doesn't run from my primary Windows profile, but I can run it.

Still no idea what caused the issue in the first place.  Could be a corrupted file or something running in my main profile that is conflicting with the game.  Private Divisions said they are continuing to investigate but they're unsure of what caused it as well. 

Might be worth a shot for anyone still having this issue to try the above solution.

Edited by DonnyViper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...