Is every quest a fetch quest??

1 hour ago, PUBG2055 said:

Seems like the majority of quests are just fetch quests ... 

Not to mention INSANE amounts of experience points for the simplest tasks. 

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Spoiler

I mean, even the quest where you are supposed to fetch 3 research reports from a planet has a ton of different moving parts to it. You can manipulate one of the experiments and you have multiple options on what to do with the research once you have it. What more are you looking for? 

No, but I somewhat understand this criticism in that most of the quests in this game are pretty steroitypical RPG setups. 

I just don't think it matters, the focus here was on making the NPC's interesting, sending you to a location to explore and giving multiple ways of solving most quests. Still some of the quests could be a bit better. 

4 hours ago, Mikeymoonshine said:

No, but I somewhat understand this criticism in that most of the quests in this game are pretty steroitypical RPG setups. 

Aren’t all quests in RPGs fetch or kill quests? I can’t think of the quest in an RPG which would revolve around bring something or kill someone. The question is how interesting it is to get it done. So far it’s been pretty good.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Aren’t all quests in RPGs fetch or kill quests? I can’t think of the quest in an RPG which would revolve around bring something or kill someone. The question is how interesting it is to get it done. So far it’s been pretty good.

Well there would also be "go talk to someone" quests but sure all quests are basically fetch quests or similar. 

I was talking more about how the setups and twists of some of the quests in the game are a little clichéd. No more than any other RPG I can think of though. 

Some of the criticisms I've been seeing of this game are odd. Complaining about fetch quests implies "collect ten of random item that has nothing to do with anything to advance plot" there's nothing like that in this game I can think of. The closest is bounties I guess and even those quests provide exposition. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mikeymoonshine said:

I was talking more about how the setups and twists of some of the quests in the game are a little clichéd. No more than any other RPG I can think of though. 

It’s true that Outer Worlds isn’t subversive as Obs games tend to be. Was it ever supposed to be?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Wormerine said:

had you only played Bethesda games and Dragon Age inquisition? RPGs have several kind of quests

1 hour ago, Bilskirne said:

F:NV had quests that ppl talk about even today and is fun to play over and over. In TOW it´s like questdesign was outsourced to another company. It got so tedious and booring I quit, the story and quests are so soulless and dead im sad.

What? Spoilers for the first major questline.

Spoiler

That seems pretty subjective. The first main quest in the game asks you flip a switch between a corporate town dying of the plague and a garden town full of dissenters. Seems pretty straightforward as to the better choice, and I was about to choose the garden town, but then my companion convinced me to save the corporate town. It was a very complex situation. Then I had to go to the garden town and explain to them why they lost power and that they need to return, but the leader of the town refused to go back if the leader of the corporate town was still in power. So I go to the corporate town and convince the leader to step aside and let the garden town leader take over, because she is clearly the better choice. I mean, aside from her choice of fertilizer. This is a very complex questline with a ton of options, moving parts, and engagement. It is as good as anything that was in F:NV. 

• Like 2

Honestly, I never loved this much doing quests in any game until TOW. Not only because I love the universe and the critics behind jokes and satire, but because, unlike most Rpgs I've played these past years, you can do quests in various ways that will impact the story and evolution of your character and companions and the places you visit.

I mean, take Witcher series, which was my most favorite number 1. Someone hires you to kill a monster, okay. You go and track it down, and maybe 3-5 times, in the 3 games, you can chose to spare the monster you've been paid to kill. Most of times, the only thing you can do is follow the quest, kill, and ask more money for reward.

Pick almost any quest from TOW, and you'll find different ways to complete it. You can even never complete it by finding a better bidder for doing the task.

No matter which quest you get, you can do it in various ways during combat, during dialogues and decide to screw everybody in the end and go for another side in the end.
Also, you can make a faction believe you work with them and think the same way they do, then screw them in the long term.

I've never seen this field of possibilities in any other 3D Rpg game so far.

Quests may not be the most original, but nowadays that is pretty difficult to invent new quests that we'd never have seen anywhere else.

W3 earned its medals for the universe, for the have-sex-with-each-girl-you-meet-if-you-want feature, and the overall writing way above what we usually find in usual rpgs, along with a dark and uncensored view on heroic fantasy, impressive graphic engine mixing poetry and beauty of fairy tales with humans inner darkness and talking about real world mature subjects behind all of it.

TOW has great writing, with ton of humor at different levels, and give you the opportunity to chose how you will do a quest from start to end, also letting you chose to fail it for a more suitable outcome in your opinion, all this in a world filled with clues, secret paths, and little fun or less fun stories to read and learn, sometimes very useful for some quests, sometimes just to make you laugh.

They've invented everything, and made very fun characters and companions which make the game immersive and give it this special taste you don't find at each corner, with all qualities w3 has, except for the density, the scope, and all the boring stuff all over the map.

They don't reinvent how a wheel will roll, but they make it roll in various ways that gives it pepper and sugar all together.

Edited by Merzhinhudour
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DekarServerbot said:

had you only played Bethesda games and Dragon Age inquisition? RPGs have several kind of quests

Pretty much everything but those. Never got too deep into any Bethesda game aside from Fallout3, and never touched Inquisition due to it being on Origin which I am yet to install on my new laptop. 

3 hours ago, DekarServerbot said:

What else is there? Go here, Talk to this person, Go kill these people, Go collect this item....I honestly can't think of anything else quests in RPGs boil down to.

• Like 1

Honestly fetch quests are just a rpg mechanic to lead you to another area or area suited to your level. And also to more quests. Most of the other rpgs that don't have many fetch quests also kind of leave you hanging as far as where to go and what to do next. Your left to wonder about and likely run into areas that your not ready to be in.

Time to beat this dying horse.  If TOW only has fetch quests, then all RPGs are fetch quests.  Dragon age Inquisition was way worse for quest variety.  Collect 500 shards collect paintings, collect collect collect. The only part of inquisition that I think of as different is the masquerade party... Even that you have to collect secrets but at least it seemed to diverge from the straight forward quests the rest of the game had.

This game isn't perfect.  If you want to criticize the AI for being pretty bad.  I'll take that point. Or the general length of the main story, yup got a point.  Most negative reviews I've seen, really seem like they either played for an hour and quit, or they just watched an hour of a playthrough.

Edited by Theonlygarby

42 minutes ago, Theonlygarby said:

Time to beat this dying horse.  If TOW only has fetch quests, then all RPGs are fetch quests.

If people are wanting to critique TOW for having "fetch quests" they should go back to the 90s cRPGs (or just play some MMORPGs or "rpg-like" grindy games) to find out what "fetch quests" were/are really like and why people hate them and use them perjoratively. Incredibly low-value, no-story, no-narrative, low-impact, low-reward, "go pick up this random item or X random items" from an unclear location or unclear enemy. Back when I first started hearing the phrase a lot it was in BG, they were literally filler (admitted as such by bioware) because they didn't have enough content going on (BGEE makes it better because they updated the journal tracking into something semi-modern so you don't have to dig through random journal updates just to find out that you were supposed to not sell that random bottle of wine you found in that house).

BG2 still objectively had "fetch quests" in that you had to go to locations and retrieve something, but bioware pretty much solved most of the "fetch quest" criticism because they interweaved with the main story, had reactivity, developed your companions, meaningful outcomes or rewards, had something interesting going on, etc. You could say "boy that just sounds like fetch quests with extra steps" but in terms of cRPGS it's those "extra steps" that make all the difference.

edit - also for some of the comparisons I see to borderlands for aesthetics (and the marauders running at you in TOW do seem very borderlands-y), the borderlands franchise has tons of fetch quests, and some of them in an extremely grindy capacity. No, "random voice over that chimes in after you collect X out of Y widgets or animal body parts" doesn't count as "interesting quest design" to me.

Edited by thelee

It is kind of funny that I am hearing people complain about how short the game is (I am hearing 20-25 hours if you just focus on the main quest) but then there are complaints about side quests that have people asking to get this item or that item with a valid logical motivation behind the request.  None of these are required but I think they add flavor to the game along with an additional reason to go places I probably would as I like to wander and find any nook or cranny that I can.

Tangent thought: I have been thinking of The Wheel of Time series (great books you should try them) mostly because of Amazon getting ready to butcher a great story in a filmed media  The more I think about it the more it occurs to me that is just one big series of "fetch" quests for the characters involved.  Yet I as a second hand observer thoroughly enjoyed watching the characters go through the process of growth and overcoming obstacles.  In the OTW I get to choose how the world is approached and what path the character goes through their fetch quests (the main quest is a fetch quest also so probably no getting away from it)