Feature Request (Accessibility) - 3rd Person View Toggle

I would like to get my wife playing this game, but she has a general type of nausea when playing any 1st person games in general.  If the game had a 3rd person view, she could play it no problem.

I wanted to take the route of accessibility with this feature request, because it is stopping her from playing this game. (And I REALLY want her to play this wonderful game)

49 minutes ago, amallica said:

Sorry but all the replies defending this not being in 3rd person are complete bull****! The game already has a 3rd person mode. it was just closed off. I have listed a single key point that prove this.

1. Let the game idol long enough and it automatically enters 3rd person mode where the camera rotates 360 degrees around your character. This happens anywhere in the game which means 3rd person has already been programmed in.

Borderlands, the Left 4 Dead, Dying Light, and Dead Island series, and even Bulletstorm were all programmed in 3rd person, then the camera is adjusted to hide the character. So people need to stop defending first person view as if developers have some massive undertaking.

2. The character customization screen has entirely way too much detail and for what? The game is in first person, it's single player, and has no multiplayer mode SO WHO THE HELL IS SEEING YOUR CHARACTER?

Edited by TL Gamer
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, amallica said:

I would like to get my wife playing this game, but she has a general type of nausea when playing any 1st person games in general.  If the game had a 3rd person view, she could play it no problem.

I wanted to take the route of accessibility with this feature request, because it is stopping her from playing this game. (And I REALLY want her to play this wonderful game)

Pal, I feel the same way. This was already oft spoken of when the game was first announced and the devs said no back then IIRC.

Some first person games cause crippling nausea for me as well, hoping this one will not. Will wait for my brother to get the game first and try it out at his.

nowt

This has been a requested feature since before release, but it wasn't in the budget for the game. There are a variety of bugs and jank this would have added that Obsidian in particular needed to avoid at launch. It's not entirely impossible for it to be added in an update, but the ability to e.g. clip the camera through a hole in the wall and activate an object, or target enemies with companion special attacks without putting yourself in danger, as well as less obvious and predictable side effects would have been troublesome. Obsidian has a reputation for bugs, and it is in their best interest to avoid that. Since publishers are responsible for hiring QA and determining the amount of time a game will have being QA'd etc. the only way for them to address this on their side was to limit the scope in ways that would make it easier to squash bugs and be more certain that you could avoid bugs cropping up (if by nothing else, shooting the NPC with/causing the issue. I myself had to shoot an NPC who was triggering a load/crash cycle instead of a conversation or whatever was planned for that point.) 

That said, it's likely to be one of the first things people mod into the game, since modders don't mind a little jank and if it introduces balance affecting bugs it's a self inflicted problem.

Also, I'd like to ask, has she tried to adjust the Field of Vision (available in the Gameplay menu) to see if a larger Field of Vision helps with her nausea? From: https://www.howtogeek.com/241285/why-video-games-make-you-feel-sick-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

"Your video game’s field of view (FOV) is, hands down, one of the most common causes of video game nausea and headaches. The source of the problem is a disconnect between the field of view of the actual viewer (the player) and the field of view of the game (the in-game camera)." ... "One great trick for adjusting your field of view to a comfortable level is to find a location in the game with close-range objects like a store room, inside of a cell, or any sort of room that is roughly the size of a room you’re used to being in. Back yourself into a corner and then adjust the field of view so that the room looks natural to you. If you feel like the walls are pinching in on you, then the field of view is too high. If you feel like you’re zoomed in or uncomfortably close to an object across the room, then you’ve adjusted it too low."

I'm not sure you are aware of how huge an undertaking this would be.  Not only does it change how the world is rendered, it adds player animations for EVERYTHING the player might do in the game, and adds in a camera that has to have it's own physics.  Bad camera movements and controls alone can be enough to sink a game. 

I like to have a third person view too, and I empathize with those that can't play due to motion sickness, but changing the game would likely cost far more than they might recoup from the sales of those gamers who won't or can't play it without a 3rd person view.

this bring me memories when my options were reduced to "pre-order" or "buy at day zero" instead of "don't buy it", "harm private division" or "pirate it".

I had been training myself by playing house flipper, pc building simulator and car mechanic simulator running all the time. My motion sickness was reduced from half hour to 1 hour, then i went afk and tried again. In the end i managed to get 2 and quarter constant hours of gameplay without the need of alt+tab or go afk. A bit sub optimal for RPG games but i guess i can still play it casually

13 minutes ago, DekarServerbot said:

this bring me memories when my options were reduced to "pre-order" or "buy at day zero" instead of "don't buy it", "harm private division" or "pirate it".

I had been training myself by playing house flipper, pc building simulator and car mechanic simulator running all the time. My motion sickness was reduced from half hour to 1 hour, then i went afk and tried again. In the end i managed to get 2 and quarter constant hours of gameplay without the need of alt+tab or go afk. A bit sub optimal for RPG games but i guess i can still play it casually

Role Playing Game games are best played casually. Not unlike Trading Card Game games. First Person Shooter shooters are completely different, though.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

1 minute ago, Pidesco said:

Role Playing Game games are best played casually. Not unlike Trading Card Game games. First Person Shooter shooters are completely different, though.

the issue is i really hate first person shooter games, that's the main reason i skipped both bioshock and borderlands and will never touch them. It is also the reason i utterly hated fallout 4 combat. I suck at puzzles but i find them entertaining, i am good at slashers but i dislike them, with FPS i both suck and dislike them so, why should i even play them? I hate minecraft too and while i loved playing ark, i hate that various servers restricted me to first person view.

And no, it is not "look from your character's eyes", that would only be valid if instead of being humanlike creatures we were MODOK. First person view lacks of peripherical vision, like if i had some kind of helmet blocking my POV and other senses, i play in third person because i can see  what's on my side or even detect that noisy zombie/supermutant/dinosaur that is pursuiting me from behind not being stealthy at all.

4 hours ago, TL Gamer said:

Sorry but all the replies defending this not being in 3rd person are complete bull****! The game already has a 3rd person mode. it was just closed off. I have listed a single key point that prove this.

1. Let the game idol long enough and it automatically enters 3rd person mode where the camera rotates 360 degrees around your character. This happens anywhere in the game which means 3rd person has already been programmed in.

Borderlands, the Left 4 Dead, Dying Light, and Dead Island series, and even Bulletstorm were all programmed in 3rd person, then the camera is adjusted to hide the character. So people need to stop defending first person view as if developers have some massive undertaking.

2. The character customization screen has entirely way too much detail and for what? The game is in first person, it's single player, and has no multiplayer mode SO WHO THE HELL IS SEEING YOUR CHARACTER?

Well said! 

I would love third person view

First I support there being a third person view and not really buying the it would cost to much or add to much developer time.

One interesting comment on here mentions it feels like my view is restricted by a helmet that limits my peripheral vision, I always wear a helmet in the game so from that logic it would make sense.  Since we have a total of 2 armor pieces I am going to guess most will wear a helmet throughout the game, I am not saying this would be an acceptable reason.  But a more acceptable in game reason then what the developers gave to limit it to first person.

10 hours ago, TL Gamer said:

And I am sure you have experience in game development to back it up?

displaying a model in third person, isn’t equivalent to having a functional third person camera, collision and movement.

Obsidian stated they would love to add 3rd person, and it is something they would love to make for sequel, but due to limited budget they didn’t pursue it for the first installement. One of devs did respond, saying that developing third person mode would be a substantial addition as it differs quite a lot from FPS. 

EDIT: https://imgur.com/a/0Ty2I24

Edited by Wormerine

Wait for this game for serval month, and end up in motion sickness.

What I am required is a third person view toggle that barely playable to play this game. I don't care about view bugs or even character walk in a ridiculus way.(That is pretty normal in FNV, and I have already get used to it) 

It is OK to put that in ini files and marked as "for test only, experimental" or something like that. I don't really care about perfect graphic or anything like that. I just want to play this game instead of fall into motion sickness after 30-60 minute playing, which ruins my entire day and fill me with regret for not being able to play it.

We just want a patch for third person to PLAY this game.

Edited by Unhappyrefrain