AHK works great to get around my limitations.  The problem is when I remap sprint, crouch, or jump it doesn't reassign the key it adds that key to the other binds so now  different keys all jump.  In addition, when I restart the game it displays the default keys as the binds even though they've mapped onto multiple keys.

Are you using a controller?

If you're talking about just normal keyboard key remapping, you have to use an external utility at this time, like AutoHotKey. You can substitute any key on the keyboard for another.

I hate WASD and the left side of the keyboard, so I remap everything to the right size/keypad. Basically, I use the Arrows and everything around them. AutoHotKey makes this change easy.

Here's my config file. It's simple to change.

The left side is What You Want It To Be and the right side is What It Is By Default:

Up::w
Down::s
Left::a
Right::d
Enter::r
Home::i
End::e
\::LShift
RShift::LControl
RControl::Space
PgUp::TAB
PgDn::t
Ins::f
BackSpace::Esc
Numpad0::v
Numpad1::q
NumpadDot::j
Numpad5::f
Numpad6::x
Numpad9::z
Numpad3::c

They only thing you have to remember is, start AutoHotKey before starting the game and then to close AutoHotKey after exiting the game, otherwise you keyboard is all screwed up for normal use due to the remappings.

Here's the default controls, as a reminder and to see what I've remapped to what in my config file shown above:

PC Keyboard Controls & Key Bindings
The default control scheme for The Outer Worlds for PC is:

Movement
Walk Forward – W
Walk Backward – S
Strafe Left – A
Strafe Right – D
Sprint – Left Shift
Jump – Space Bar
Crouch / Sneak – Left Ctrl

Gameplay
Quick Save – F6
Quick Load – F8
Use / Interact – E
Weapon 1 – 1
Weapon 2 – 2
Weapon 3 – 3
Weapon 4 – 4
Inhaler – 5
Mouse Wheel Up / Down – Next / Previous Weapon
Attack / Fire – Left Mouse Button
Aim / Block – Right Mouse Button
Quick Melee – V or Thumb Mouse Button
Reload – R
Weapon Radial – T
Tactical Time Dilation (TTD) – Q
Companion – F
Companion Attack – X
Companion 1 Special Ability – Z
Companion 2 Special Ability – C

Menus
Pause – ESC or ALT + M
View Inventory – I
View Ledger – TAB
View Character Menu – L
View Journal – J
View Map – M

Well, AHK works fine, been using it for over a decade because my fingers don't work.  The game remembers all the key binds at once, so if I map Sprint to F5 and Jump to F6 and then switch them around. . .when I hit F5 I will Jump and Sprint.  In addition, the display of the current key maps reverts to the default.  It makes it unplayable.

Hello, iLkRehp.

I'm sorry you're experiencing an issue with the keybinds. We have our development team looking into it and hope to have a fix for it shortly. Please send an e-mail to our publisher, Private Division at support@privatedivision.com. This will get your issue into their queue and allow us to prioritize requests to ensure the fastest possible turn around time. We apologize again and thank you for your patience while we work to resolve the issue.

--Doug.

• 3 years later...

Having hardcoded keys made me immediately uninstall this game, it is UNFORGIVABLE to do this ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use M for crouch, and "," for left strafe.

........MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

........NO FORGIVENESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!