So I hit level 12, and went to go assign my skill points, but they were greyed out and I couldn't click on them. Thinking maybe it was because I was in a combat zone, I left the planet. Still couldn't. I have since leveled up, stripped naked, etc in game, reloaded the save, and I still can't assign skill points. Worse, I tried respeccing thinking that would help. I now have 120 skill points I can't assign. So basically, my character has become unplayable :(

Edited by AspenScythe
Adding some tags
  • Like 1

Hey, AspenScythe

I'm sorry for the UI issue you have run into. We have our development team looking into it and hope to have a fix for it shortly. In the meantime, to expedite your request, you can send an e-mail to our publisher, Private Division at support@privatedivision.com. This will get your issue into their queue and allow us to prioritize requests to ensure the fastest possible turn around time.

We apologize again and thank you for your patience while we work to resolve the issue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue here. I'm at level 4, and I can assign my perk point but not my 10 skill points (I can choose where to put the points, but the 'E' key to accept does not work). Interestingly, I had no problem assigning skill points at earlier levels, and 'E' works just fine elsewhere, e.g. looting corpses. Very annoying. I've tried restarting twice. Respeccing had the same result for me as for AspenScythe -- I was left with all of my skill points which I could not assign. Thanks.

• Like 1

Same issue, hit level 8 after leaving the first planet and all skills are greyed out, not able to assign any of the available points. Game is essentially unplayable and I'm definitely not going to repeat the 10 or so hours I have already played to get around a bug. No excuse for releasing something with game-breaking bugs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FirstSilhouette said:

So reached level 10....and now I can't assign skill points at all either. Please don't tell me this is a game breaking bug...

Unfortunately It is. I've already uninstalled and won't be playing again.

• Like 1

Just started playing The Outer Worlds last night and I encounter this bug (or similar) very early on -- my character had just hit level 2 and was on Hawthorne's ship and got the notice that I could spend 10 skill points and 1 perk point.

I navigated to the correct tab(s) and chose the skills (and perk) that I wanted and when I hit the X button (on xbox one controller) nothing happens. Hitting Y or holding Y down works (clears a single skill/perk chosen ; clears all skills/perks chosen). B works taking you out of the skill/perk window, but X just will not save your choices.

If you move around the various tabs and windows, you eventually get a warning that leaving Skills/Perks windows will result in your choices being lost, and it gives you the option to go back (B) or continue and leave the window, thus losing everything.

I eventually got the 10 skill points to save, but I have no idea what I did to get it to save, but the Perks situation is ongoing -- I have yet to be able to get that one pesky perk to save by hitting the X button.

• Like 1

I've just hit level 21 and its doing it to me now, I cannot spend any Skill Points as they are 'greyed out' I started a new game and they are 'greyed out' from the beginning. Even completely purged all evidence of the game from my system and re-installed. No help there as it's still happening. Anyone know if this is being worked on?I've just hit level 21 and its doing it to me now, I cannot spend any Skill Points as they are 'greyed out' I started a new game and they are 'greyed out' from the beginning. Even completely purged all evidence of the game from my system and re-installed. No help there as it's still happening. Anyone know if this is being worked on?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

Sorry for this issue with the leveling system.  What platform are you all using to play The Outer Worlds?  From what I've been able to see so far it seems like it's mostly an Xbox One issue but I want to be sure to help us narrow this down.

Unfortunately the delay on this has been that we have yet to get a reproduction in-house to be able to see what is happening to the game in the background so we can fix it, but we are still looking into this.

Thank you, and sorry for the inconvenience this has been causing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SChin said:

Hey Everyone,

Sorry for this issue with the leveling system.  What platform are you all using to play The Outer Worlds?  From what I've been able to see so far it seems like it's mostly an Xbox One issue but I want to be sure to help us narrow this down.

Unfortunately the delay on this has been that we have yet to get a reproduction in-house to be able to see what is happening to the game in the background so we can fix it, but we are still looking into this.

I'm using a PC to play The Outer Worlds

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem at level ten, I can't assign an skill points, I can't click on an skills & I get no promts, only just happened yesterday, first play in a long time, after a lengthy update.  This is on the PC version.

Edited by eba78

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 11:07 AM, SChin said:

Hey Everyone,

I am also playing "The Outer Worlds" on a PlayStation 4.  I just reached level 2 while on Hawthorne's ship and am unable to save either skill points or perk points.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm playing on the PC, I bought the game from the EPIC Store, the game is in version: Rell.2.0.418 and I'm having the same problem. I played for 14 hours and I'm at Lv 15, but I can't distribute 25 skill points on my character. Any patches to fix this?

Hello again everyone,

We are still looking into this issue but are having a bit of trouble getting a reproduction case so that the programmers can see what is causing the issue.  From what I've seen in other threads online, some players have been able to bypass this by tapping the assigned input commands quickly.  It's not a fix, but I'm hoping it'll help some of you so you can continue your adventure while we try to sort this out.  If anyone is also able to get a video of what is happening here, that would be amazing as well.

Thanks again for letting us know about this issue and for helping us get to the bottom of it!

• 2 months later...

I have a save game I can offer - at level 11, less than a minute before hitting level 12 - at which point skill points cannot be assigned - but it's over the filesize limit

Mine was also the case where I've come back to the game after a long break... though I guess it will be an even longer break if this doesn't get fixed.

I've also loaded back to levels 10->11 and I have the exact same problem so this whole character is useless

Edited by ADarkHorse

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I had this issue and realised that I was actually clicking the wrong things. It may be that this isn't the same problem everyone else is having, but I realised after some frantic clicking that you need to click the skill header, not the skill itself.

So say you wanted to assign points to 'Hack', you need to click the 'Stealth' heading, NOT 'Hack' itself. The skills below the header will then all upgrade by a point.

Obviously as I said this may not be the same thing thats stumped everyone else but it sounds like this might help some people.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got this for xmas just started playing, steam version  windows 10 pc , reached level 2  game won't accept upgrade points or perks , this is a major bug if you cannot advance your character the game becomes unplayable, any sign of this being fixed? or should try to get my money back

• 8 months later...

So it's September 20, 2021 and apparently this is still a problem. I'm on PC with Version Rel1.5.1.696 and am unable to assign skill points. So yeah, unplayable. No matter where I click on the skill tree (skill group or individual skill, nothing happens and there is no option to apply)  :(

Screen-Shot-09-20-21-at-02.jpg

Edited by LaDragonista