2 Questions/Suggestions from an Obsidian Fanboi

Well met

Yes, I am a fanboi. Been playing your games since Black Isle Studios and have enjoyed all that I have played. I could go on and on about Alpha Protocol (was too short..I wanted more of that goodness).

My first suggestion/question is on the hunger/thirst/rest mechanic. Why have it only on supernova difficulty? Why not add an option to have it available on every difficulty? I play on Supernova because, like in every modern game, the normal difficulty is way too easy for me and I get bored quickly. I ask because I know not everyone likes to play the hardest difficulties of games, but would enjoy having that aspect in their play through. It also doesn't seem like adding the option would be overly difficult.

The second question/suggestion is on companion AI. Why do they not use the same or equivalent AI structure that the NPCs use?  I have yet to see one of them use cover.  My first supernova playthrough I downgraded to normal because I was tired of Pavrati just running into the middle of the enemies and getting melted. Reload save. Melted reload save. Normal was painfully easy. So I restarted on Supernova and I have (after learning many new game mechanics) kept my companions from dying too often. However, the use of cover would be a god send to the player, especially on Supernova, where their death is permanent. 

Really, all I had. I have been loving this game. I told my wife, who is also a gamer, that The Outer Worlds is the love child of Fallout, Bioshock, and Mass Effect.

And good on Obsidian for having so many strong female characters and representing the homosexual community in a natural way. The characters feel balanced and not forced with canned dialog that makes the player cringe.

13 minutes ago, daven said:

Here is a suggestion to you. Don't say 'fanboi' ever again.

Here's my suggestion for you: You understood what his meaning is, and that is the primary goal of language.  If you don't like the specific slang version that he used, you are free to keep scrolling.

• Thanks 2

To be fair, I am 47 and never use slang such as this and I hadn't read any posts before posting.  If I had I would have understood I was wrong on my assumptions.

I used the word fanboi because I assumed there would be fuming gamers here whining about Obsidian like they do with most of their games. I wanted to give them something stupid to flame me about before they cried about the game. They tend to go for the lowest hanging fruit. Simple minds.

I also wouldn't have made the post because I have read my exact thoughts in about 50 other posts at this point.  Which I am happy about. SO many Obsidian fans here that all want the same 2 things. Greatly increases the odds that Obsidian may make them happen.

Having not delved into Supernova yet, I really enjoyed the system that Fallout New Vegas had. For those not in the know, Hardcore mode required your to eat, drink and sleep and crippled limbs required the use of a doctors bag or to actually go and see a doctor. Consumables such as stimpacks and weapon ammunition also had weight values (though they were probably a little too generous without mods).

This was entirely unrelated to the difficulty selected. You could play hardcore mode on the easiest difficulty, so you could have a relatively straightforward time of things, but the hardcore system meant that you always had to make sure you had access to food and water and were able to find an unowned bed every now and then.

To be perfectly honest, that suited me down to the ground.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, UrbaNebula said:

Having not delved into Supernova yet, I really enjoyed the system that Fallout New Vegas had. For those not in the know, Hardcore mode required your to eat, drink and sleep and crippled limbs required the use of a doctors bag or to actually go and see a doctor. Consumables such as stimpacks and weapon ammunition also had weight values (though they were probably a little too generous without mods).

This was entirely unrelated to the difficulty selected. You could play hardcore mode on the easiest difficulty, so you could have a relatively straightforward time of things, but the hardcore system meant that you always had to make sure you had access to food and water and were able to find an unowned bed every now and then.

To be perfectly honest, that suited me down to the ground.

That would be a good way to go!

To original poster what was you opinion of the hard game level, or did you try it?  I will play supernova but I think it is wise to play on normal setting on a new game until I understand the game systems and if I have a party/companions how much I can do with them.  Each to their own and it is your time just has me scratching my head when I see people start the game on the hardest difficulty then say dang this is hard!

30 minutes ago, Ommamar said:

That would be a good way to go!

To original poster what was you opinion of the hard game level, or did you try it?  I will play supernova but I think it is wise to play on normal setting on a new game until I understand the game systems and if I have a party/companions how much I can do with them.  Each to their own and it is your time just has me scratching my head when I see people start the game on the hardest difficulty then say dang this is hard!

I find it very fun.  There is challenge in the play through, mostly related to the companion AI. Have had to reload saves several times, but nothing that is overly frustrating at this point.  My first attempt (which I quit just after the first main moral choice quest : wink wink) had me crying though. At this point I have played and am understanding the situation and how to manipulate the current AI. The single most important thing is to go into the AI choices and set them from "mixed" to "ranged". I also set them to follow close and give them weapons that force distance. Grenade launchers work very well at this. I also have one use a heavy machine gun at times because I can mod them for shock/plasma etc. 

Just know that there will be times that you enter a new space and they get mowed down for some reason. Just reload and go in with a plan next time.

Edited by Criimson

I can see the feeding/watering/etc Mechanics for supernova and hard mode but i would say leave it out of normal and story mode. Casuals do play this game so putting it in normal mode would just dampen game play. And keep it out of story cause no one playing for story is gonna want to spend most of their time feeding their character when they're only there for story.

18 hours ago, RobbedofLife said:

I can see the feeding/watering/etc Mechanics for supernova and hard mode but i would say leave it out of normal and story mode. Casuals do play this game so putting it in normal mode would just dampen game play. And keep it out of story cause no one playing for story is gonna want to spend most of their time feeding their character when they're only there for story.

If you read what I wrote: I said add an option to have it in other modes. Not mandatory. FNV had this.  Mods have done this in other games.  Not hard to add it.