Need help with transfer loot mechanic

I want to store my stuff. I read that you stand next to any container that is lootable and press the transfer key which is the R on PC. When I do that an empty window comes up (the container is empty) and I point my equipped weapon at it. I see no means to transfer inventory contents into it. Please help this newbie understand what she is missing.

Unsure if this is exactly your issue, but I was trying to transfer stuff into the lockers on my ship and it didn't give me the option. It turns out the option to transfer to containers on your ship only appears once you've successfully powered it. I'm pretty sure you're meant to be able to stash things in other containers outside the ship, although I didn't try.

3 minutes ago, Clawdius_Talonious said:

e will transfer one item at a time from your inventory to the stash.

Thank you for your reply. My problem is that I cannot get the transfer window to come up. I would press e if I could get the transfer window to come up.

2 hours ago, Raventhe said:

Unsure if this is exactly your issue, but I was trying to transfer stuff into the lockers on my ship and it didn't give me the option. It turns out the option to transfer to containers on your ship only appears once you've successfully powered it. I'm pretty sure you're meant to be able to stash things in other containers outside the ship, although I didn't try.

Perhaps that is the problem. But I have not ever been able to get that window to come up. I have watched a youtuber doing it and he has not powered his ship yet. I think I just don't understand what key to press to get that window to come up. I will try again on a container outside the ship.

/edit to add: Thank you, Raventha. You were correct. Not sure I understand why items cannot be stored on the ship before power up but that is the way it is.

Edited by Barbara917
update rather than post new