What are you talking about? You CAN eat, sleep and drink in all the modes. It's only in hardcore mode where doing all 3 of these is mandatory. You need eat/drink at least once a day. And restricted to sleeping in the bed in your ship.

I'm currently on normal mode and haven't had any problem doing any of these. I do them on the fly whenever I feel like it (for RP) or need to (in combat/after combat to heal etc.

• Like 1

This... Currently, there is no need to do any of these I haven't used a single item or slept and don't see any reason too. Making an option that made needing sleep and to eat/drink would make all the tons of food potions etc some use other than items to sell...

On 10/27/2019 at 10:32 PM, Wafflemarine said:

I think he was referring to having them be mandatory. Giving an extra level of complexity to the other 3 difficulties. I really don't feel like playing on supernova because of the companion perma death but survival mechanics would be fun addition.

Food and drink do have a use other than selling them in the base game, you can slot them into your inhaler and the game will search for and use others with the same effect (e.g. 200% natural recovery increase or 25% total health increase.) 

That said, I would like to see the "greater needs" as an option to the base game outside of Supernova mode. Unfortunately the needs themselves are a bit wonky IMO, you get hungry and thirsty about twice a day and then you need to sleep. It's not really very immersive or interesting to have to return to my ship and sleep every time I need a second drink, so honestly many of the people who aren't able to use them and think they would like to would probably not be able to enjoy them. There aren't any real positives to the system as it currently works, being well rested or sated or quenched does nothing at all for you and you can't top up past the point where you're not thirsty no matter what you drink (or... swallow? How does dehydrated water work, I assume there is a team of skilled hydrophobic magicians at work somewhere in Halcyon?).

So, you're not missing much as it stands. These systems can be done well, but this one is currently not particularly enjoyable at the moment.

• Like 1

I wish Obsidian had the time to add a fully complete feature needs system to environment and personal character survival needs. Environmental needs/response features like your PC character body temperature response to the harsh, cold and wet environment of Skyrim.

Chesko's Frostfall & Campfire mods account for this. And then needs mods the likes of Imp's More Complex Needs or Real Needs & Diseases. Both of these mods make it necessary for your character to eat, sleep, drink on a daily basis. Overeating and under eating adversely affect PC combat readiness skills and malnourishment. Poor hygiene, untreated body/head injuries from combat with other NPCs, animals/flora and extended environment exposure increases the PC susceptibility to disease.  Which can become fatal if not remedied through sleep, healing (by PC means or at a professional NPC healer, or by vanilla prayer at a shrine. Or even more complex religious mod using prayer to the Gods (if you have  one installed).   Other more complex mods like Private Needs gave the player a bladder and bowels so your Dovahkin had to do #1 and #2 on a daily basis (or suffer health issues like constipation etc) Lol.

anyhow, I'm glad that Obsidian repeated the same features they did in New Vegas with the existing needs system in the Outer Worlds. Even though it's the most superficial level of a needs feature as food acts like medicine/stat boosters instead of actual means of nourishment), at least we can eat, drink and sleep to maintain stats. Too bad your PC can't use all the bathrooms or showers around the towns and on ship though. Would've been interesting to see if your PC could recycle their biowaste and/or any animal corpses they kill on a recycle module on the ship. Then sell --I mean hustle--the biowaste to the different corporations to make some money.

On 10/28/2019 at 10:26 PM, Clawdius_Talonious said:

Food and drink do have a use other than selling them in the base game, you can slot them into your inhaler and the game will search for and use others with the same effect (e.g. 200% natural recovery increase or 25% total health increase.) 

That said, I would like to see the "greater needs" as an option to the base game outside of Supernova mode. Unfortunately the needs themselves are a bit wonky IMO, you get hungry and thirsty about twice a day and then you need to sleep. It's not really very immersive or interesting to have to return to my ship and sleep every time I need a second drink, so honestly many of the people who aren't able to use them and think they would like to would probably not be able to enjoy them. There aren't any real positives to the system as it currently works, being well rested or sated or quenched does nothing at all for you and you can't top up past the point where you're not thirsty no matter what you drink (or... swallow? How does dehydrated water work, I assume there is a team of skilled hydrophobic magicians at work somewhere in Halcyon?).

So, you're not missing much as it stands. These systems can be done well, but this one is currently not particularly enjoyable at the moment.

I'd say mods are about the only way to rectify any inconsistencies and omissions Obsidian lacked the time and resources to implement in the existing system. Hopefully the PC modding community will be able to accomplish this on the scale of a Chesko's Frostfall or RND food needs mod several months from now.  Or perhaps Obsidian might be able to offer some guidelines on how to go about modding the game engine in the future. Or even enhance the feature in a later update