Parvati was Killed Glitch (quest that gives cattle on the ship causes)

I have just had an email from Private Division support about the Parvati bug, reply may be useful:

"I'm sorry to hear that you've encountered a bug where your companion has been marked as dead in the quest log, despite them still being alive.

From what we've discovered, this bug can happen when your companion is climbing a ladder while you start a conversation with an NPC. This causes the companion to continue climbing the ladder forever, and then meet an untimely death when the conversation with the NPC ends. Make sure that your companions are not climbing any ladders before you enter a conversation and this should hopefully prevent this bug from happening to you again until this bug has been resolved.  Please note that we currently do not have an ETA as to when this issue will be fixed, but we are actively looking into it.

Sorry for the trouble, and please let me know if you run into any other issues. "

• Thanks 3

Just tested this in a way.
Pavrvati straight up vanishes if you talk to an NPC while she's climbing a ladder in the ship. Only way to get her back in the ship is to go outside and select her as a companion and then re-enter the ship.

Edited by SunshineGoat

That might be one of the causes but I think there might be others.  I have many builds all at different points in the story, the first one I made just finished the portion in the Lost Hope.  When I entered the ship ADA told me about Felix and Ellie having a drink together.  I went up and listened to their conversation then I went back down to the repair bay to speak to Pavrati who just had the two conversation options.  I remembered hearing about this bug so I decided to move on to Scylla (sp?) I could still choose her as a companion but she didn't appear to be with me until I took damage then she came running into combat.  Now even though it says the first portion was botched I can still advance the quest story line but I get no experience or notification of completion.

Same here. No idea when this even happened, as I did not seem to get any notification about it at all, I just noticed when Parvati talked to me about soap, no quest showed up. I just kept going where she mentioned and completing steps, but after the second step of collecting a certain sweet item, there was still no quest update or conversation prompts. Looked at the very bottom of quest list, quest failed because Parvati was killed. Not only was Parvati not killed, I don't think she has even fallen in combat. Default difficulty, no permadeath, XB1. Also, I never saw anything to do with cattle.

You will see the cattle if you ever come into your ship and hear ADA complain about someone ordering fertilizer then you will find a 5 or 6 in the repair bay.  I think it is just a random event that has nothing to with this quest or the related bug.

Same here. PS4, Normal difficulty. Travelled to Groundbreaker to do the quest, and found it in the botched list. I never encountered any issues with Parvati disappearing or not being acknowledged by other characters - Nyoka and Parvati had just finished a conversation about ammo spontaneously combusting when I discovered the mission was in Botched.

So, there is no rhyme or reason to this. Something happens that would flip a "dead" bit for Pavarti, and then she's dead, even if you aren't playing in Supernova. The best fix may be a sanity check that occurs before flipping a "dead" flag on a character, which will not set the damn flag if the difficulty level is != Supernova. Also, put the same damn check on game load to clear the flag if the bool is false.

No clue what "killed" her for me; I never saw a quest failure notification. I did notice that she was missing from the ship a bit, so I took her out on a mission, and then she was back in the crew as normal. She also responded to finding sweet cakes in Cascadia while the quest was "failed".

Same problem. Xbox One X. Started playthrough on Normal, switched to hard during it. Quest is marked as botched because "Pavarti was killed" even though she is alive and well. Only companion quest I have not completed. Hopefully they can get a patch out soon to fix this!

On the PS4. Don't Bite The Sun. Parvati killed.

Having the same issue. The quest fails no matter what I do. Tried diff. dialogue options, talking at different part of the ship, swapping armor, and if I ignore the quest completely, it still fails and just shows up as a botched quest. I just went to Scylla, haven't met Nyoka, no cows ever present. Tried to ignore the quest and went to Relay Station but it still ends up showing up as failed with Parvati listed as killed.

This is breaking immersion of the game for me and I won't be playing until this is fixed. To replay like 6 hours of quests again in the hope that it won't fail down the line is totally unreasonable.

Please Obsidian fix this quest line!

I love your game so far but this is a total bummer.

Parvati "dying" has absolutely NOTHING to do with cows on the Unreliable. I've NEVER had cows on there, and yet she's dead and the mission is botched. She was with me when we bought the soap from Gladys, but then after that, couldn't even find the quest until much later when I scrolled WAY, WAY down and unrolled "botched". Also can't buy the dustback thing in Stellar Bay. Talked to the chef, but no cake options.

4 hours ago, Jeffery Barr said:

Parvati "dying" has absolutely NOTHING to do with cows on the Unreliable. I've NEVER had cows on there, and yet she's dead and the mission is botched. She was with me when we bought the soap from Gladys, but then after that, couldn't even find the quest until much later when I scrolled WAY, WAY down and unrolled "botched". Also can't buy the dustback thing in Stellar Bay. Talked to the chef, but no cake options.

The cows are just a random occurrence you will see if ADA mentions fertilizer being ordered, I have had it occur on some builds and seen it happen on other players streaming with no effect on whether the quest glitches or not.  The root cause seems to be the gaming flagging Parvati as being dead when she is not, the patch mentions a fix that will hopefully stop the glitch from occurring.  I am not sure what it will do for existing play through where the glitch already happened but we will just have to wait and see.

• Thanks 1

My experiences with this Bug:

Done all the Quests on Monarch (none of them involved Cattles...). During all this time, I never returned to the Unreliable but once (don´t exactly remember when it was during my trip on Monarch) and got the Quest "don´t bite the sun". After I negotiated peace between the Iconoclasts and MSI, I finally returned to the Unreliable. First thing ADA wondered why there are cattles in the cargo bay (me too btw, as mentioned had no Quest involving cattles...). After talking to the crew for a bit, I suddenly got the message "don´t bite the sun" was botched. Cause in Log: Parvatti was killed.

After searching the whole ship and all crew for WHY WAS PARVATTI KILLED???? I reloaded an autosave just before entering the Unreliable (thanks god it made this save just at this time!!!) Reentered the Unriable: No cattles anymore, instead Ellie and Nyoka doing some target practice in the cargo bay.

No cattles, no problem :) Just get to Groundbreaker ASAP. Can the Bug happen after I got her the soap from Groundbraker or am I save now?

Edited by BigBo

Posted this in a similar topic but yeah, I had agreed to have drinks with her next time we were at groundbreaker and had left her on the ship while felix and vic went with me to the comm satellite.  During the comm sat mission, I got notified that she died.

After reading the ladder answer, wondering if it happens if you leave the unreliable while she's on a ladder? Couldn't see her from the door.

Win10, story mode.

6 hours ago, BigBo said:

My experiences with this Bug:

Done all the Quests on Monarch (none of them involved Cattles...). During all this time, I never returned to the Unreliable but once (don´t exactly remember when it was during my trip on Monarch) and got the Quest "don´t bite the sun". After I negotiated peace between the Iconoclasts and MSI, I finally returned to the Unreliable. First thing ADA wondered why there are cattles in the cargo bay (me too btw, as mentioned had no Quest involving cattles...). After talking to the crew for a bit, I suddenly got the message "don´t bite the sun" was botched. Cause in Log: Parvatti was killed.

After searching the whole ship and all crew for WHY WAS PARVATTI KILLED???? I reloaded an autosave just before entering the Unreliable (thanks god it made this save just at this time!!!) Reentered the Unriable: No cattles anymore, instead Ellie and Nyoka doing some target practice in the cargo bay.

No cattles, no problem :) Just get to Groundbreaker ASAP. Can the Bug happen after I got her the soap from Groundbraker or am I save now?

Hopefully the patch will fix this.  The cattle appearing are not the cause I have watched several streams where the cows had appeared but the streamers where able to advance the quest.  The cause appears to be initiating an event or object while the companion is climbing a ladder. While ADA receiving extra fertilizer as she puts it is an event it is not one the player initiates which is what seems to cause the glitch.   So this means that you wouldn't be safe as it could happen at any time during the quest.  Since transitioning out of the ship is an event initiated by the player if Parvati had decided to climb up to the engine room which she seems to do quite often then the quest would glitch out.

• 2 weeks later...

I also can't do the quest "Don't bite the sun". It gets botched as soon as I start it, talking to Parvatti in the ship. It says in the log that she was killed, but here she is in front of me. I did all side quests already, and I wanted to do that before "Brave New World". I will try to find a workaround while we don't have a fix.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigre said:

I also can't do the quest "Don't bite the sun". It gets botched as soon as I start it, talking to Parvatti in the ship. It says in the log that she was killed, but here she is in front of me. I did all side quests already, and I wanted to do that before "Brave New World". I will try to find a workaround while we don't have a fix.

I found that if I drop everything and focus on that quest I was able to complete it without it being moved into a botched state.  It seems like if I do anything else while finding things it has a good chance of failure.