Parvati was Killed Glitch (quest that gives cattle on the ship causes)

As title says. Her quest is auto failing with "Parvati was killed." whenever I pick it up, but obviously that isn't the case because I'm speaking with her, and playing on Hard difficulty, where companions don't permanently die as far as I'm aware. I started on normal but changed to hard part way through my play through so I don't know if that triggered it. I'm playing on the game pass version on a regular Xbox One.

I also settled things on Monarch storywise just before picking up her quest if that's any information you need.

Edited by Zammick
  • Thanks 3

Same problem for me. Bite the Sun autofails as soon as she gives me the quest, with the message "Parvati was killed". I'm playing on "Story" difficulty on PC (EGS). I haven't done the Monarch content yet. Just got done with Scylla (Captain Irion). If I reload and speak with Parvati again, I get the same message.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ok so the quest that puts the cattle in the cargo hold bugs out parvati's companion quest. 

The moment that the cattle appear you get a warning that the date quest failed and when you open the quest parvati is listed as having died. 

But she's still in the ship and still able to be taken out on quests. 

There's a second part to this glitch as well though.

Part 2:

When you try to speak with her on the ship she'll talk but only have 2 options available. 

1. I think it's time you moved on. (basically dismissing her from your crew)

2. End the conversation. 

Also when other characters off the ship that she'd normally interact with speak they speak like she's not there. 

Banter on the ship per ada still takes place though.

Part 3: 

Also upon leaving the area and reloading back into the ship. 

The cattle are now gone. But the glitch remains and the quest remains as failed.

Edited by hnightshade

Merged a few posts about this for convenience. Any further details about the steps that led to the issue appearing are welcome.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

haven't done any cattle related quest but was checking my quest log and saw "don't bite the sun" was under botched not completed and saying parvati was killed even though I was playing on story. I take it junlei didn't like the rose scented soap 😝

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't think it's the cattle quest, as I've never seen them, but I'm having the same issue otherwise. Parvati "dies" as soon as she gives me the "Don't Bite the Sun" quest. Also, I've had her just randomly be dead on the floor when disembarking the ship a few times. A reload fixes that, but I never got the quest issue to fix that way.

Edited by thunderbird32
  • Like 1

Just want to say that I've gotten this bug before Monarch, during the "Sipping on Sapphic Wine" Quest-- I hadn't even talked to her on the ship yet, nor had I gotten the cows to show up on my ship either. (They DID show up the next time I got onto my ship though?) I noticed the quest was failed while running around and doing quests in Roseway for the Monach fly-card, but I'm not sure exactly when it happened. Same as everyone, the reason stated is because Pavarti was killed even though I'm playing on the Normal difficulty. I was still able to talk to her about Junlei's poem on the ship later, but nothing was available after that.

I don’t believe there is a quest that makes cattle appear on the ship, I think it’s just a random occurrence, such as Nyoka being drunk, or Ellie and Felix drinking together. I hadn’t experienced a single bug prior to this exact glitch happening to me. 

Just wanted to say I have also experienced this bug. was at the "Don't Bite the Sun" quest, on Monarch,  In the ship. I haven't met any of the before mentioned "cattle" though, not sure what that is. I reloaded an earlier safe, which seems to have fixed it for now. And I can't seem to replicate it either. 

Edit: Also after the quest failed and she died, she was no where to be found on the ship. No trace of her. When I got out of the ship, she was back. 

Edited by H40S

I am also running into the same issue.  I think it may be tied to Nyoka joining the crew.  After Nyoka joined in Monarch, I came back to my ship to swap some weapons out and switch companions.  I hadn't picked up the quest Don't Bite the Sun yet, and when I entered the ship there were cows next to Parvati and I talked to her.  As the quest was given to me, it automatically failed because "Parvati is dead" - and she clearly was not dead because I was still speaking to her.

I actually didn't see any notification of "Parvati was killed" during gameplay, she was with me throughout the entire game, and she was standing next to me when I reached the endgame.

But in the recap at the end it said "Parvati did not survive your adventure"... Which enfuriated me to no end. I liked her!

Cattle in the cargo hold?!? What quest is that?!?

23 hours ago, Vanillachai said:

I am also running into the same issue.  I think it may be tied to Nyoka joining the crew.

It can't be related to Nyoka. I have the bug and I haven't even met Nyoka yet.

Edited by thunderbird32

I am also experiencing this glitch. In the middle of talking to Pavarti on the Unreliable it says I failed "Don't Bite the Sun" quest, due to her having died, even though I am playing on Normal Difficulty. I am playing on Xbox Game Pass on PC, Windows 10. Storywise, I have not yet left the Groundbreaker, which was my first and only stop so far after Terra 2. I had just finished the quest "Happiness is a Warm Spaceship" on the Groundbreaker and headed back to the ship when this occurred. I have seen the cows at one point, but I have not encountered Nyoka so far.

parvatiFailure.png

I'm also experiencing this bug. I'm playing on normal difficulty. I just went to Byzantium to pick up her dress and when I went to make "Don't Bite the Sun" the trackable quest, it was showing up as botched and telling me Parvati was dead... even though she was standing right next to me. I can't pinpoint exactly when the game decided she was dead, I had her with me on Monarch and successfully completed her two quests there, that was before Nyoko joined the crew. My oldest save is just after I got Nyoko and the quest log tells me Parvati is dead at that point. I'm still able to interact with Parvati, I'm able to buy and give her the dress in Byzantium, but the quest doesn't progress.

I really hope this gets fixed up and a patch can bring her back. It's Parvati! I gotta finish the quest for her and I'd like her to be alive at the end.

You owe me an end credits movie showing her happy epilogue instead of just informing me she died and I've been wandering around with a ghost. I can't provide much additional information, other than PC/Win10. I noticed the bug before Monarch, but I didn't catch the exact time, just curiously looked at the botched missions part and was surprised. I liked her story a lot, so this is the one bummer of a bug I ran across.

Same issue on PS4 pro.

Just completed a few side missions after the main missions on Monarch, the last side mission was Slaughterhouse Jack when it popped out Pavarti had been killed (playing on normal and we were just stood in a corridor!).  Looked at the quest log and her crew mission is botched at the "Find Parvati Fancy Clothes" part.

Have tried to roll back to previous auto saved (I only use one main save) and the mission is botched on them all.

Real bummer as she is my favourite character and its the only bug i have seen so far in about 20 hours.

The cattle have shown up a few times (even earlier I think) so they may just be random?

This is pretty widespread.  Hopefully Obsidian can patch this up as it's a pretty major bug and a pretty major character to have considered "dead" for no reason.

I'm not sure whether to continue playing or wait for a fix because I don't want to play another 10 or so hours in only to find that Parvati is still considered dead and it ruins the ending state for me.

Edit: PS4 Pro version for me.  Happened after finishing the Hiram stuff at the radio tower on Monarch when I returned to the ship and engaged in dialogue with her.  She said she had something to talk about, and as that dialogue chain played out, a "quest failed" message showed up because of the bug.

Edited by GhostofAnakin

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)