Outer Worlds, a mediocre Fallout

15 minutes ago, Selnor1983 said:

Bethesda is on the way down. Consumed by Corporate greed. The irony? That's what Fallout was actually about. 

Bethesda have become the very thing they wrote a story against. 

The irony is that Obsidian was just consumed by Corporation and game's writing is on the way down comparing to older products.

How much time you think they got until they become the very thing they write stories against?

Edited by Daidre
  • Like 1

New here also, and I have to say I could not wait to get TOW.  I even pre-ordered it, which was a first for me.  I planned my weekend out to be nothing but TOW, and started playing release night.  After starting the game, I thought the graphics are outstanding, even on my mediocre PC.  No lags, no crashes, and no FPS drops really make me happy.  I like the story line, I like that it is a silent protagonist, and I like the abundance of areas to explore.  The perk system seems ok, as does the companion system.   That being said, by Sunday evening I was playing my "Dead is Dead" FO4 character a couple of different reasons.  The first is the dialogue sessions with NPC's is excruciating to me.  I can read the dialogue, comprehend it, and craft my response long before the NPC finishes speaking.  I can't shut them up by pressing a button just shutting the voicing off.   Next it seems that everything hinges on a fetch quest, which isn't a game breaker for me, but that really gets tedious, fast.  The crafting is dull to me on the normal setting, as is there seems to be an over abundance of parts to repair with. 

Honestly, I think I got bored with slow pace of the game, and needed a little gaming excitement. I am not going to give up playing TOW, and after I finish the MQ the first time, make my next character a jackwagon and play on Supernova settings.  That may be a little more interesting, hahaha.

19 minutes ago, Selnor1983 said:

Sorry it's clear trolling. Everyone is saying including the reviewers that the writing is fantastic. One of the best written games in years. 

There are going to be trolls from Bethesda around here. The pure fact he compares it to Fallout in the OP says that. 

Every point he is trying to make is why TOW is so much better than Fallout 3 and 4. 

Just let him be. 

This won't be the last thread someone tries to downplay the game in comparison to Fallout. 

Bethesda is on the way down. Consumed by Corporate greed. The irony? That's what Fallout was actually about. 

Bethesda have become the very thing they wrote a story against. 

The real irony here is that they didn't write the story, some of the guys currently at Obsidian did. And then they were bought my Microsoft of all companies. If you're gonna try a dig against corporations, you failed here. 

The game is far from fantastic. There's tons of areas for improvement. It's a solid 7/10

14 minutes ago, Selnor1983 said:

Sorry it's clear trolling. Everyone is saying including the reviewers that the writing is fantastic. One of the best writte

Bethesda have become the very thing they wrote a story against

It wasn't Bethesda's story to begin with, they never really understood it. It was all about guns and explosions to them.

I wouldn't let the trolls get you down. "bad writing" is not a particularly meaningful critique. There are objective standards for writing. When I say for example that I think some of the quests in dragon age 2 and dragon age Inquisition were badly written I can point to specifically what about those quests were badly written. I don't say **** like "clichéd dialogue" and other such vague criticisms that don't actually mean anything. 

I have seen some criticisms of this game that are legit and I have some myself but a lot of them are just moaning about certain characters or the tone of the game or making up stuff that isn't even true. 

You don't have to like something just because it's good, or hate something just because it's bad. I like all the dragon age games despite the sequals having a lot of issues. 

7 minutes ago, Daidre said:

The irony is that Obsidian was just consumed by Corporation and game's writing is on the way down comparing to older products.

How much time you think they got until they become the very thing they write stories against?

ironically, it was not so long, the game was announced on December and EGS timed exclusivity was the first nuke

8 minutes ago, DekarServerbot said:

Private Division is no better, it failed in this game

How has it failed. The general consensus across the board is TOW writing is fsr superior to Fallout. The choices and morality is far far deeper and richer than Fallout. The focus on KOTOR 2/Mass Effect hub areas as opposed to boring open worlds filled with nothing is a huge bonus over Fallout. 

Slow Mo is so much better to use than the terrible Vats system. 

I can literally go on. And this is what most reviews say. It's not like TOW isn't loved. It's a huge success. 

So I can only Imagine your a Bethesda fan that really is hurt by how amazing TOW is. 

5c0d503502b2b.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Daidre said:

Hahahaha. But it isn't. It's praises on over 70 reviews that the writing is some of the best this entire generation. I'm guessing everyone is wrong and a select few hardcore Bethesda fans who are hurting are right. 

God help us. 

3 minutes ago, Selnor1983 said:

Hahahaha. But it isn't. It's praises on over 70 reviews that the writing is some of the best this entire generation. I'm guessing everyone is wrong and a select few hardcore Bethesda fans who are hurting are right. 

And I am even ready to admit that writing is excellent for a casual console game aimed at the widest audience.

Edited by Daidre
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Selnor1983 said:

So why are PC reviewers saying the writing is awesome as well? 

PC's Metacritic score for TOW is 82 vs 86 for consoles. 82 is quite mediocre in the age of over-inflated review scores next to Fallout: NV 84 (so bugged on release it was unplayable), Pillars of Eternity is 89 and Deadfire at 88.

And yes, Bethesda sucks.

But Fallout 4 score is 84 for PC and Fallout 3 is proud 91.

Edited by Daidre
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daidre said:

PC's Metacritic score for TOW is 82 vs 86 for consoles. 82 is quite mediocre in the age of over-inflated review scores next to Fallout: NV 84 (so bugged on release it was unplayable), Pillars of Eternity is 89 and Deadfire at 88.

And yes, Bethesda sucks.

All PC games get lower scores than console games. That's been the case for over a decade. Quite often it's more down to the PC version having more technical issues due to the fact it has to work across a multitude of hardware. As opposed to the fixed hardware of Consoles. 

Regardless of the game being 4 points lower. If you Read the reviews. They all love the writing. Which is what you were against. No?????? 

• Like 1

All PC games get lower scores than console games. That's been the case for over a decade. Quite often it's more down to the PC version having more technical issues due to the fact it has to work across a multitude of hardware. As opposed to the fixed hardware of Consoles. 

Regardless of the game being 4 points lower. If you Read the reviews. They all love the writing. Which is what you were against. No?????? 

The writing is good, nothing amazing or something that is GOTY worthy. I don't see the overinflation here. It's humorous and varied well but the story itself is not compelling and pretty poorly planned. It crashes to an end before it really gets off the ground. I don't think Bethesda's writing itself is better, so you can't fall back on me being a bethesda fan here. I just am not impressed with TOW's story. The same complaints have been made for years about New Vegas. The main quest with poor, with the side quests and companions well written. 

13 minutes ago, Selnor1983 said:

It is... competent is the best word I can find, and most PC reviews admit that is not as fresh or inventive as in Fallout: NV.

I would rate TOW around 7.5, but I actually find combat repetitiveness with low weapon and enemy variety in later stages of game more detracting than writing. This and extremely low difficulty.

Edited by Daidre
  • Like 1

Just now, imitenotbecrazy said:

The writing is good, nothing amazing or something that is GOTY worthy. I don't see the overinflation here. It's humorous and varied well but the story itself is not compelling and pretty poorly planned. It crashes to an end before it really gets off the ground. I don't think Bethesda's writing itself is better, so you can't fall back on me being a bethesda fan here. I just am not impressed with TOW's story. The same complaints have been made for years about New Vegas. The main quest with poor, with the side quests and companions well written. 

That's absolutely fine. There is going to be a small minority that disagree. Just as an example here are the sorts of things reviewers say about TOW writing. 

"More than just Fallout in space, this action-RPG is a delightful sci-fi romp with razor-sharp writing, lashings of humour and enough content to entertain you for months."

"Dizzyingly deep, painstakingly polished, remarkably replayable, and marvelously moreish, The Outer Worlds is one of the most refined and well-written RPGs of the generation."

"With the best writing of any game thus far in 2019, any fan of RPGs needs to play The Outer Worlds."

"With full character development, a wonderful companion system, and a spirit all its own, The Outer Worlds is everything I had hoped it would be and more. From the excellent writing to the beautiful environments, each new world is vast enough to feel expansive without being desolate and wasted space. The gameplay and combat is fantastic and handles great, with the only downside being its occasional dip in frame rate or issues loading textures. The Outer Worlds fulfills the promise every other RPG makes of putting you in control and I can’t wait to try the game over and over again with different styles and tactics."

"In the end it's the freedom of choice, and how those choices impact the world Obsidian has created that makes The Outer Worlds so great. You can be and act almost as you please, and do as little or as much for the people around you. Great writing, creative quest lines and solid voice acting makes the 40 hours a great experience." 

And there's another 50 reviews that say the same thing. 

The writing in TOW is absolutely amazing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Selnor1983 said:

Hmm:

Metacritic, PC: The Outer Worlds: 82 Generally favorable reviews
based on 17 Critics.

And I refuse to be dragged in father quote war.

Edited by Daidre

6 minutes ago, Selnor1983 said:

That's absolutely fine. There is going to be a small minority that disagree. Just as an example here are the sorts of things reviewers say about TOW writing. 

"More than just Fallout in space, this action-RPG is a delightful sci-fi romp with razor-sharp writing, lashings of humour and enough content to entertain you for months."

"Dizzyingly deep, painstakingly polished, remarkably replayable, and marvelously moreish, The Outer Worlds is one of the most refined and well-written RPGs of the generation."

"With the best writing of any game thus far in 2019, any fan of RPGs needs to play The Outer Worlds."

"With full character development, a wonderful companion system, and a spirit all its own, The Outer Worlds is everything I had hoped it would be and more. From the excellent writing to the beautiful environments, each new world is vast enough to feel expansive without being desolate and wasted space. The gameplay and combat is fantastic and handles great, with the only downside being its occasional dip in frame rate or issues loading textures. The Outer Worlds fulfills the promise every other RPG makes of putting you in control and I can’t wait to try the game over and over again with different styles and tactics."

"In the end it's the freedom of choice, and how those choices impact the world Obsidian has created that makes The Outer Worlds so great. You can be and act almost as you please, and do as little or as much for the people around you. Great writing, creative quest lines and solid voice acting makes the 40 hours a great experience." 

The writing in TOW is absolutely amazing. 

And that's fine if you choose to take those reviews to heart. I don't bring up review scores or quotes usually because I feel they rarely reflect my personal thoughts on games. I will outright laugh at the freedom of choice quote though. Here's a snip from my thread from earlier 

Choice and consequence (HAHA) is largely a farce. I've save scummed a bunch of situations only to find out they had the same outcome anyway. Maybe one line of dialogue was different and addressed my choice but it's largely meaningless. In fact, they've gone out of their way to make your choices seem less meaningful. I killed the named leaders of a faction and their whole base in my second playthrough, got a simple line of dialogue about it, then still ended up in the same fight with that faction (that I wiped out) with "Faction Leader" as a replacement for the named NPC that I killed. Absolutely disappointed in how meaningless the choices are here. 

• Confused 1

the writting is pretty good IMO. I was villified by one of the corporations that i had to hunt secrets to progress and I somehow managed to get all what i needed from that company to progress. To make things worse, i evem sold one of their secret research stuff to a competitor and it took that other corporation to see me as an ally instead of "just the stupid guy who ruined our cannery by pressing colorful buttons" (decision that made me feel sad after seeing the real outcome of this option and ignoring my companion's advice). I missed this kind of writting since original fallouts, new vegas and dragon age origins. It makes me think that regardless being a 1 int stupid bruiser character I can get stuff done, not because i was told to, but because i had to, and i did it my way, not Hawke's "yes man" way or Max's "pessimistic" Way. And if i want to see what happens if I play as Nora or "not me" I can always replay the game and do a different role and it will never be the same.

Now I am wondering if i can do an "Anders the inquisitor" run by playing a Mr House expy, but first i need to finish the game once

1 minute ago, Daidre said:

Hmm:

And I refuse to be dragged in father quote war.

You know those 17 reviews aren't the only ones right? 

I've included quotes from Xbox, PC and PS4 reviews. 

Even the User Reviews on Meta critic for PC, Xbox and PS4 are all so positive for the gane and its writing. Then you have a small selection of 0/10 reviews which all mention Fallout being better. 

Which is laughable as they are all Bethesda fans troll rating TOW on Meta critic with 0s. So sad. 

I used to love Bethesda. But since they took over Fallout, they have gone downhill big time.

So sad there is some left in the Bethesda community which are attempting to troll TOW. 

Bye bye Bethesda. Nice while it lasted. 

2 minutes ago, imitenotbecrazy said:

And that's fine if you choose to take those reviews to heart. I don't bring up review scores or quotes usually because I feel they rarely reflect my personal thoughts on games. I will outright laugh at the freedom of choice quote though. Here's a snip from my thread from earlier 

Choice and consequence (HAHA) is largely a farce. I've save scummed a bunch of situations only to find out they had the same outcome anyway. Maybe one line of dialogue was different and addressed my choice but it's largely meaningless. In fact, they've gone out of their way to make your choices seem less meaningful. I killed the named leaders of a faction and their whole base in my second playthrough, got a simple line of dialogue about it, then still ended up in the same fight with that faction (that I wiped out) with "Faction Leader" as a replacement for the named NPC that I killed. Absolutely disappointed in how meaningless the choices are here. 

As I said. There will be a small minority who disagree with the majority. 

You know those 17 reviews aren't the only ones right? 

I've included quotes from Xbox, PC and PS4 reviews. 

Even the User Reviews on Meta critic for PC, Xbox and PS4 are all so positive for the gane and its writing. Then you have a small selection of 0/10 reviews which all mention Fallout being better. 

Which is laughable as they are all Bethesda fans troll rating TOW on Meta critic with 0s. So sad. 

I used to love Bethesda. But since they took over Fallout, they have gone downhill big time.

So sad there is some left in the Bethesda community which are attempting to troll TOW. 

Bye bye Bethesda. Nice while it lasted. 

And on the other side of the coin you have people rating it a 10/10 which it in no way deserves. Very VERY few games deserve a 0 or a 10. This is another reason why those sites and ratings are bull****. Hell, there were reddit threads made to ratingbomb Fallout 4 and 76. There's losers on both sides that just want to see the other fail. 

People who leave such 10/10 reviews:

Signal boosting this game with a 10/10 because of all the haters. Listen guys, if this game doesn't get great reviews, developers won't continue to develop games free of microtransactions, Day 1 DLC and loot boxes.

Does not help the game either. Truth, as always, somewhere in middle.

Edited by Daidre
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, imitenotbecrazy said:

And on the other side of the coin you have people rating it a 10/10 which it in no way deserves. Very VERY few games deserve a 0 or a 10. This is another reason why those sites and ratings are bull****. Hell, there were reddit threads made to ratingbomb Fallout 4 and 76. There's losers on both sides that just want to see the other fail. 

TOW wasn't made when Fallout 4 came out. 

My point in showing those reviews is the absolute consensus is TOW writing is fantastic. Across the board. Both with players and reviewers. 

We aren't talking about a small amount of people who say this. It's like 90% of people who have played it rate the writing so highly. 

I was challenging the point in this thread that the writing is mediocre. 

That's fine if people really think that. But when these same people try and say the writing in Fallout 3 and 4 is better or even on a par, then I'm sorry that just Bethesda fans trolling. 

The writing in Fallout 3 and 4 was never considered that great. Even by reviewers. 

Edited by Selnor1983

Just now, Daidre said:

Nobody says that writing in Fallout 3 and 4 is better or even on a par with TWO.

But TWO is not on par with Fallout: NV. It is more competent but less interesting game.

Again I'm going to have to disagree. Alot of players and reviewers say it is better than New Vegas. In fact quite alot say it's the best written game Obsidian have ever made. 

My other theory is there is some PS fans that will downplay this IP because the next game with a AAA budget under MS is going to be exclusive to Xbox Ecosystems. 

Personally TOW is a AA game. With a small budget like Hellblade was. 

With a AAA budget for their next games, Obsidian has the world at its feet.