Post-release content?

Will there be any DLC or expansions? For how long the game will be updated?

While I understand the concept of continued post-release support in general and why some players like it, I'd rather have a complete and reasonably bug-free game, which does not change after a year in a way I do not like for reasons I hardly can control.

Edited by Hawke64

We know for certain there isn't a season pass being sold. Until we see official announcements, we don't have any certitude that we will see DLC or expansions.

My reasoning is, basically, we have no idea what stipulations are in the contract between Private Division and Obsidian. If Private Division takes the same cut from DLC they do from the base game, it might be better for Obsidian to just put together a full fledged sequel to the game fully funded by Microsoft than it would be for them to put together DLC.

As for support, Obsidian tends to offer support for their games until most issues have been resolved and they have reached a point they are happy with. Usually you can expect fairly regular patches for about a year after release, but with The Outer Worlds I encountered a few smaller issues and one fairly significant crash to desktop every time I tried a thing until I just shot the guy who was trying to trigger an event that wasn't being resolved correctly in the last few minutes of the game. This could mean that Obsidian will resolve most issues and reach a state they're happy with sooner, especially if no DLCs are forthcoming to introduce new issues and require balance changes. While I anticipate that the relationship between Private Division and Obsidian could affect DLC etc. I doubt that it will alter their plans to offer support for the game.

• Like 1

I was honestly a bit surprised how the game ended so quickly. looking at the planet map there was a lot of other planets i though i would get to visit. 

I had a really great time playing the game, although some more weapons and armors to choose from would be nice ;) I really hope they will make more content for this.  For now it seems to be more of a test game to see how people would like it. Here's hoping it will continue to be expanded upon :) 

The glorious thing about the hub based format of The Outer Worlds is that DLC can be very easily implemented. A distress beacon from a long lost starship. A mysterious landing pad beacon on an uncharted planet. A new corporation joins the fray and takes a region of Monarch by force. You can add any number of possible scenarios to a space faring game and all you need to is make it reachable from The Unreliable and you're good to go. Maybe make a few NPCs in the base game make references to it before and after depending on the outcome.

There are already hints in the game at a much larger universe, with some brands from outside of Halcyon and even other colonies being mentioned by name. I really hope they get to flesh the universe out with DLC and follow up titles.

On 10/28/2019 at 10:33 PM, daven said:

Do any modern games NOT have dlc anymore?

I would be surprised if there wasn't any.

GreedFall (excluding the pre-order DLC, currently available for purchase). It's been almost two months since its release and there was only one patch - the game is remarkably stable. Spiders (the developers) in general don't make DLC for their games, and I very much appreciate it.

On 10/28/2019 at 10:45 PM, Clawdius_Talonious said:

We know for certain there isn't a season pass being sold. Until we see official announcements, we don't have any certitude that we will see DLC or expansions.

My reasoning is, basically, we have no idea what stipulations are in the contract between Private Division and Obsidian. If Private Division takes the same cut from DLC they do from the base game, it might be better for Obsidian to just put together a full fledged sequel to the game fully funded by Microsoft than it would be for them to put together DLC.

As for support, Obsidian tends to offer support for their games until most issues have been resolved and they have reached a point they are happy with. Usually you can expect fairly regular patches for about a year after release, but with The Outer Worlds I encountered a few smaller issues and one fairly significant crash to desktop every time I tried a thing until I just shot the guy who was trying to trigger an event that wasn't being resolved correctly in the last few minutes of the game. This could mean that Obsidian will resolve most issues and reach a state they're happy with sooner, especially if no DLCs are forthcoming to introduce new issues and require balance changes. While I anticipate that the relationship between Private Division and Obsidian could affect DLC etc. I doubt that it will alter their plans to offer support for the game.

Thank you for the information. It seems that waiting for at least 6 months is the most reasonable approach.