I am partially disabled playing on PC. I can program the keyboard to the lower right and all is wonderful, except the ESC key where I have to move my upper torso and far reach to the far left corner ALL THE TIME to go back or close. It makes the game almost unplayable for me. In most other games there always seems to be a window with an X to close a menu with the mouse rather than ESC.  Or the mouse works on BACK or ESCAPE which it does not do in this.   Thanx   Would seem an easy fix for next update... 

Hey, rrack

I'm so sorry for the accessibility issue you have run into. We have our development team looking into it and hope to have a fix for it shortly. In the meantime, to expedite your request, you can send an e-mail to our publisher, Private Division at support@privatedivision.com. This will get your issue into their queue and allow us to prioritize requests to ensure the fastest possible turn around time.

We apologize again and thank you for your patience while we work to resolve the issue.

On 10/26/2019 at 8:16 AM, rrack said:

I am partially disabled playing on PC. I can program the keyboard to the lower right and all is wonderful, except the ESC key where I have to move my upper torso and far reach to the far left corner ALL THE TIME to go back or close. It makes the game almost unplayable for me. In most other games there always seems to be a window with an X to close a menu with the mouse rather than ESC.  Or the mouse works on BACK or ESCAPE which it does not do in this.   Thanx   Would seem an easy fix for next update... 

Obsidian is one of those Devs who feels they will tell you how to use your hands to play their game, and that everyone LOVES WASD. How wrong they are!

If you're talking about just normal keyboard key remapping, you have to use an external utility at this time, like AutoHotKey. You can substitute any key on the keyboard for another.

I hate WASD and the left side of the keyboard, so I remap everything to the right size/keypad. Basically, I use the Arrows and everything around them. AutoHotKey makes this change easy.

Here's my config file. It's simple to change. I use Backspace as ESC

It's easy to understand what is happening here -  What You Want It To Be :: What It Is By Default

Up::w
Down::s
Left::a
Right::d
Enter::r
Home::i
End::e
\::LShift
RShift::LControl
RControl::Space
PgUp::TAB
PgDn::t
Ins::f
BackSpace::Esc
Numpad0::v
Numpad1::q
NumpadDot::j
Numpad5::f
Numpad6::x
Numpad9::z
Numpad3::c

Install AutoHotKey, then Copy and Paste the above into a txt file saved to your desktop, named TheOuterWorlds.ahk , and now just open this file to start the remapping.

They only thing you have to remember is, close AutoHotKey after exiting the game, otherwise you keyboard is all screwed up for normal use due to the remappings.

Here's the default PC Keyboard controls, as a reminder and to see what I've remapped to what in my config file shown above:

PC Keyboard Controls & Key Bindings
The default control scheme for The Outer Worlds for PC is:

Movement
Walk Forward – W
Walk Backward – S
Strafe Left – A
Strafe Right – D
Sprint – Left Shift
Jump – Space Bar
Crouch / Sneak – Left Ctrl

Gameplay
Quick Save – F6