Bugged Quest: Don't Bite the Sun

So I'm about ten hours into the game and talking with Pavarti aboard the Unreliable. It gives me dialogue indicating she's starting a quest, but then it pops up midway through and tells me the quest failed, because she died.

Except she isn't dead.

I can still complete the quest objectives, but they're no longer marked and I'm worried they won't be registered in later parts of the game. Anyone have have a fix?

• Sad 1

Hey, Bowsette Gone Wild

I'm sorry for the quest issue you have run into. We have our development team looking into it and hope to have a fix for it shortly. In the meantime, to expedite your request, you can send an e-mail to our publisher, Private Division at support@privatedivision.com. This will get your issue into their queue and allow us to prioritize requests to ensure the fastest possible turn around time.

We apologize again and thank you for your patience while we work to resolve the issue.

On 10/28/2019 at 6:54 PM, oei_um said:

Hey, Bowsette Gone Wild

I'm sorry for the quest issue you have run into. We have our development team looking into it and hope to have a fix for it shortly. In the meantime, to expedite your request, you can send an e-mail to our publisher, Private Division at support@privatedivision.com. This will get your issue into their queue and allow us to prioritize requests to ensure the fastest possible turn around time.

We apologize again and thank you for your patience while we work to resolve the issue.

Thanks for the response.

I was actually able to bypass the issue by completing as much of Party Tea's questline as I could before going to Roseway, as suggested by a couples users on Reddit. That seemed to solved the issue.

I kinda realized this when I bought the soap in Groundbreaker, the quest was already gone before that, but I bought it and Parvati still talked about it on the ship. I'm guessing the next step is to wait for her to talk to me, but it'll never happen because the quest is already botched.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing on Xbox One X, with the patch that was released today (version 1.1.1 - 11/19/2019) - same issue here. Pavarti is alive, and offers this quest, but halfway through speaking with her, the quest fails because she is dead. Would really like for this bug to get fixed so I can complete this question - and also so I can re-complete the game and not have it tell me she's dead at the end. 😎

On 11/16/2019 at 7:54 AM, alliedcvil said:

Ran into the same issue, hope this doesn't effect my ending. :(

No spoilers, but this bug does affect the ending, unfortunately.

Edited by FredFredrickson

Unfortunately I have stopped playing the game because of this. I really hope Obsidian puts in a fix for this soon as I really liked the game but I see no reason to put in additional time if I have to go back and redo hours of gameplay. Pavarti is my favorite companion and I want to see her actual storyline.

Edited by Karlkolchak

I emailed support@privatedivision.com about how the latest patch did not fix this quest and Friendship's Due and explained how Pavariti is still alive and I can talk with Cyde, yet I am unable to continue these quests because it's still saying they are botched.   I never asked them to complete the quest for me or modify a save file.  Are they saying that the developers released a patch that only works if you restart a game that you have invested 30+ hours in??

Here is their response:

"Thank you for contacting us!

I'm sorry to hear that you ran into the dead companions issue. Now, although this issue has been addressed with the latest patch (in the sense that it should not be happening again), we unfortunately do not have the ability to retroactively complete the quest for you or anything of the sort, as our tools do not allow us to tinker with a user's save file. 

I apologize for the inconvenience. If there's anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

All the best,
Andrei

Private Division Support"

It still happens in the latest patch. 

I didn't buy the game until after the patch was out.  I'm playing on PC, on 'Hard' difficulty.  I  haven't done a lot in the game yet.  I'm level 14, having cleared the initial locale, Groundbreaker, and Roseway.  I return to Groundbreaker and turn in the Distress Signal mission.  I return to the ship and talk to Pavarti in the cargo hold.  She asks for help, I agree, she explains she wants to buy soap on Groundbreaker.  The 'Don't Bite the Sun' mission appears and auto-fails before the conversation has ended.  Now if I were playing on 'Supernova' rather than 'Hard', she would be dead --there were a couple of fights on Roseway I barely scraped through, but the difficulty setting has never been altered.

Edited by sillyrobot
typo

2 hours ago, sillyrobot said:

It still happens in the latest patch. 

I didn't buy the game until after the patch was out.  I'm playing on PC, on 'Hard' difficulty.  I  haven't done a lot in the game yet.  I'm level 14, having cleared the initial locale, Groundbreaker, and Roseway.  I return to Groundbreaker and turn in the Distress Signal mission.  I return to the ship and talk to Pavarti in the cargo hold.  She asks for help, I agree, she explains she wants to buy soap on Groundbreaker.  The 'Don't Bite the Sun' mission appears and auto-fails before the conversation has ended.  Now if I were playing on 'Supernova' rather than 'Hard', she would be dead --there were a couple of fights on Roseway I barely scraped through, but the difficulty setting has never been altered.

Similar situation here.  I am playing on PS4 version, Normal difficulty.  Nothing in game that I have tried has worked, and that includes:
- changing difficulty setting
- changing dialog options selected
- changing party members outside the Unreliable and coming back in to initiate the conversation
- shooting at Parvati in the Unreliable (trying to see if that could change hp count)

She has gone to 0 hitpoints before this point (and, of course, gotten right back up after combat since I'm not on Supernova difficulty), so I'm wondering if that somehow flags her as 'dead' no matter the difficulty setting.  If that is the case, I'd have to start the game over or wait for another patch.

After reading the patch notes, I attempted to use this feature to fix the problem:

Existing Botched companion quests will have their status reset to Active allowing the player to add them to a party when leaving the ship in order to un-botch the quests, unless the death occurred prior to unlocking the companion quest

Now, I find language convoluted, but I think it means I should add Pavarti to my group and leave the ship to reset the mission back to Active.  I guess the non-existent death occurred prior to unlocking the quest since it does nothing.  Adding Pavarti to my group does nothing to change the status on Don't Bite the Sun from botched.

How can one have a death of a companion prior to unlocking the quest anyway?  Either you're playing Supernova and thus the character stays dead (and you don't get the quest) or you are not in which case the character never dies. 

Edited by sillyrobot