What the game could use

Things that patches/mods could enable easily :

•     Make the game moddable
  •     Ability to turn off chromatic aberration
  •     Loot all faster method
  •     Auto compare inventory weapons/armor to those equipped
  •     Better map! At least more hover info - like the green quest marker, shows no info in the map
  •     Default sleep time to the min 6 hours seeing as that heals you fully
  •     Rebind buttons that are hardcoded (why?)
  •     First planet: remove the silly giant planet from the sky, and the band of rings
  •     Third person mode

Some balance suggestions :

•     Less loot overall
  •     Nerf melee weapons a bit

Things that are difficult to add/mod :

•     Cover mechanic (would be really helpful)
  •     Give town NPCs less bland things to say

Edited by Muze

I think modding capability will come in a few months.  Some of the decision they made are interesting no auto move or third person has me scratching my head to the reasoning behind it.  The hold E to loot all would of probably worked better as a different button.  One fairly common thing in games I have seen that I would like is a separate window for both the equipped and the new item to display the differences.  I think their idea on loot is for a lot of it to be broke down then used to repair/maintain the equip you choose to use.  I have found I can use trees and rocks to block incoming fire, I am not sure what you envision as a cover system.  So far at least NPC's aren't talking in the same voices as each other ;-)!

2 hours ago, Ommamar said:

Some of the decision they made are interesting no auto move or third person

The decision about third person was explained pretty well a while ago.  It was more about managing the size and scope of the game than forgetting to add a feature.

2 minutes ago, Ethics Gradient said:

The decision about third person was explained pretty well a while ago.  It was more about managing the size and scope of the game than forgetting to add a feature.

Could you link to what you are talking about?   I only lightly followed the game, while there will be tons of information coming out most will be reviews and opinions on current game play.  Might be difficult to find what you speak of.

7 minutes ago, Ommamar said:

Could you link to what you are talking about?   I only lightly followed the game, while there will be tons of information coming out most will be reviews and opinions on current game play.  Might be difficult to find what you speak of.

Aside from some early expectation management from the developer team, there were a few knowledgable posters explaining some perspectives in this thread.  

It really came down to how the team wanted to limit the scope of the game, and the requirements to implement a third person camera was more than just programming an on/off switch.  It can affect level design, character modeling, and QA in ways they didn't have the resources to support.

7 hours ago, Muze said:

Things that patches/mods could enable easily :

•     Loot all faster method
  •     Auto compare inventory weapons/armor to those equipped
  •     Better map! At least more hover info - like the green quest marker, shows no info in the map
  •     Default sleep time to the min 6 hours seeing as that heals you fully
  •     First planet: remove the silly giant planet from the sky, and the band of rings
  •     Third person mode

Some balance suggestions :

•     Less loot overall
  •     Nerf melee weapons a bit

Things that are difficult to add/mod :

•     Cover mechanic (would be really helpful)
  •     Give town NPCs less bland things to say

I like the list. I vote against an official Third person mode, unless it's a 3rd party mod.
I'm unable to get the game to run yet, so I don't know what is needed beyond the bare necessities below:

•     PS4 Controller support for PC version.
  •     Add PS4 button prompts when adding PS4 Controller support.
  •     Ability to modify all keybinds
  •     Ability to disable or reduce head bob

1 hour ago, Ethics Gradient said:

Aside from some early expectation management from the developer team, there were a few knowledgable posters explaining some perspectives in this thread.  

It really came down to how the team wanted to limit the scope of the game, and the requirements to implement a third person camera was more than just programming an on/off switch.  It can affect level design, character modeling, and QA in ways they didn't have the resources to support.

I don't know what would need to happen in this game, but for any First Person RPG, you will likely find several people asking for a Third Person Perspective. This game is a first person shooter. It has guns. If it was third person, combat may feel more like Destiny. Obsidian is smart, I bet they tested both FPP and TPP and felt FPP was more fun.

A game can only choose one, FPP or TPP, not both. I know, Bethesda's engine allows both, but not really; Example: Skyrim, where many used FPP in Skyrim for bow combat as TPP bow combat never 'felt' right. Anyway, here's my take on some of the challenges developers would face by adding FPP to the game Kingdom Come Deliverance. I've yet to get The Outer Worlds working, so not a clue if any of the below is relevant.

• Framerate would need to be improved as TPP requires a larger FOV than FPP, this means optimizing the engine
  • Every single indoor environment would need to be tested with the new camera rig and some may need to be 'hacked' into the game
  • Every single outdoor environment would need to be tested with the new camera rig
  • I think the devs went for real-world realism with the map, maybe that would have to be abandoned? I dunno, I didn't design the map. Interior roofs may need to be raised to accomidate the camera. there maybe some outdoor foilage that constantly gets in your way, but could be fixed by raising the treeline or lowering the 'bush-height'
  • Every area and type of interaction of the entire game would need to be tested, to ensure the 'fun factor' is the same in TPP as FPP. This means combat may need to be redesigned from the ground up. AI would need to be redone as now you can see more than one enemy at once, making that 2v1 war feel more like a walk in the park.
  • The marketing of the entire game would need to be revisited as this game is being sold as a FPP game, and it is the best FPP RPG of this decade (CP2077 comes out in 2020).
  • I bet archery would be a pain to fix, Skyrim never did archery properly in TPP. Skyrim has magic and most think magic in Skyrim has the most well designed combat mechanics of the game. KCD doesn't have magic, so it's even more important that Archery is done right.
Edited by Blitz
  • Like 1