The negative effect of targeting native 4K on Xbox One X

Well it seems the push for native 4K on the X has had some negative effects that I believe need to be addressed. After playing the game on PC and the X I immediately noticed a massive graphical gulf, that's not surprising, but after getting curious I took a look at the game on PlayStation 4 Pro.

To my surprise while it's running a lower resolution (it's a computationally weaker system obviously) it's running higher levels of foliage density than the Xbox One X, and even appears to have some locations of foliage the X does not at all. 

Why the push for native 4K while sacrificing foliage levels? Why not shoot for say 1800p instead and maintain the level of foliage on the Pro? Without the lushness of foliage the world appears more lifeless and less organic. It seems that negative graphical sacrifices were made to push up IQ, I'm hoping for some type of patch to address this.

If you can add the foliage back while maintaining performance and resolution, great. If you can't I think I can speak soundly for the community that a minute hit in resolution would be fine to further fill out the world. 

hesjat0.jpg

ZVuc2UP.jpg

FHbCRg2.jpg

Edited by DynamiteCop!
  • Thanks 1

Even with a 1080Ti I rarely go for full 4K resolution. When you're involved in playing, the game esp on a TV, its hard to really see the extra resolution but the GPU has 4 times the work of 1080p, and keeping 60fps is more important.

1440p isnt supported on every TV but some games can scale up to 4K output - Gears 5 does this.nicely. On Outer Worlds Ive settled on reducing the " 3D resolution" slider and that keeps 60fps at 4K res with Ultra settings.

What's sadly missing is HDR - the colour palette would really suit HDR. 

Interesting. But also the One X version is running ultra textures from the PC version as well. Not just a resolution boost. 

The textures on the PS4 Pro version are much worse than the X version. 

You can notice in the Pro version the actual foliage itself is missing certain details as well. 

5 hours ago, Selnor1983 said:

Interesting. But also the One X version is running ultra textures from the PC version as well. Not just a resolution boost. 

The textures on the PS4 Pro version are much worse than the X version. 

You can notice in the Pro version the actual foliage itself is missing certain details as well. 

Honestly after running the PC version I don't think it is running the Ultra textures, and if it is their appearance is absolutely being destroyed by a poor anisotropic filtering implementation. 

It definately is. The One X has 20 gb more install size than all other console versions. My friend has it on Pro, and he noticed it straight away when he saw my One X version. I haven't seen his version yet. But he said there is big graphical difference on mine to what he has been playing.