Can't Save - Option grayed out - Normal Difficulty

19 hours ago, ChronicThor said:

Any word on a patch for the Epic store version to fix this as I'm not willing to attempt 3rd party fix?

Nothing yet, but seeing as this is likely caused by having an irregular registry entry for "Saved Games" and it can be fixed by resolving said registry issue, I would be surprised if a blanket "fix" was released. Issues with that aren't caused by a release usually aren't high priority.

I would suggest the .bat fix posted previously. If you're unsure of the legitimacy, you can open the .bat file in a text editor first to see exactly what commands it will run to make sure that none of it looks suspect to you, or you can manually make the changes yourself in Registry Editor using the steps listed inside of it.

I hope this helps.

I've tinkered with my registry before and it messed everything up, I'm just not comfortable doing it again. I tried following the steps listed but I'm just not competent enough to have gotten them to work. A lot of these fixes seem to have a pretty high barrier to entry and I'm just non comfortable attempting them. If someone has a truly idiot proof methed I could probably give it a go but this is so far over my head its dizzying to even look at.

1 hour ago, ChronicThor said:

I've tinkered with my registry before and it messed everything up, I'm just not comfortable doing it again. I tried following the steps listed but I'm just not competent enough to have gotten them to work. A lot of these fixes seem to have a pretty high barrier to entry and I'm just non comfortable attempting them. If someone has a truly idiot proof methed I could probably give it a go but this is so far over my head its dizzying to even look at.

The .bat file fix is just to download the .bat file for the Saved Games folder and double click the .bat file to run it. That's all I had to do for the fix. Nothing complicated.

I paid for a game which is unplayable.  Any game like this which does not allow saves is unplayable.

48 hours - no response to ticket. A number of suggestions on here, which haven't worked. I am not prepared to download an unknown batch file to modify my system.

Obsidian/Epic - whoever wrote this junk either fix or give me a refund.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MarkEmm said:

I paid for a game which is unplayable.  Any game like this which does not allow saves is unplayable.

48 hours - no response to ticket. A number of suggestions on here, which haven't worked. I am not prepared to download an unknown batch file to modify my system.

Obsidian/Epic - whoever wrote this junk either fix or give me a refund.

100% agree. such a great game, I want to play it so bad. 

On 10/26/2019 at 5:52 AM, FLCL said:

Bought  the game via Epic launcher and had the same problems.

This will happen when the installer don't create the savegame directories.

Have a try :)

Windows     %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\The Outer Worlds\
Microsoft Store     %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\The Outer Worlds Windows 10\<user-id>\
Linux (Proton)     <Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/578650/pfx/[Note 1]

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Outer_Worlds#Game_data

Seriously .. why did you buy it through that S%^thole of a launcher? Even the Microsoft store is better than that piece of junk.

But still, rather sad to hear such problem. My bug was with the non loading of the sprite for Anton .... guess they didn't debug enough. Strangely these problem started for me only on the supernova mode, not when I played hard mode.

On 10/28/2019 at 5:16 PM, Navaar said:

Nothing yet, but seeing as this is likely caused by having an irregular registry entry for "Saved Games" and it can be fixed by resolving said registry issue, I would be surprised if a blanket "fix" was released. Issues with that aren't caused by a release usually aren't high priority.

I would suggest the .bat fix posted previously. If you're unsure of the legitimacy, you can open the .bat file in a text editor first to see exactly what commands it will run to make sure that none of it looks suspect to you, or you can manually make the changes yourself in Registry Editor using the steps listed inside of it.

I hope this helps.

As Navaar says, unlikely there will/can be a fix from Obsidian. It def looks like a registry issue. I have posted my experience separately below.

BAT FILE FIX WORKED FOR ME:

I couldn’t find the saved file anywhere – spent hours looking through my C and D drives.

Uninstalled, re-installed til my eyes bled :(

I am sooo non-techy, and had no idea what to do with this https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Outer_Worlds#Game_data

So, seeing several people had success with the .bat file thing, I did this:

I reinstalled making sure the game went into the Epic Games folder (no idea if that helped).

Then I took a HUGE leap of faith and went to Point 11, Bat File Saved Game Folder and followed OPTION 2. I just downloaded, double clicked – done.

Launched my game and OMG I could Save and Load finally!!

I’m not recommending anything, I don’t know enough to do that, I’m just reporting what worked for me after days of frustrating struggles.

Edited by Laimma

• 2 weeks later...

Still can't save or quick save anything.  What a mess.

This game installation broke my windows server folder redirection and deleted the saved games library.  How the heck can this pass QA.   I have the saved games folder on the server with the previous saved files intact, so I know the date/time of the last file written.  Nothing I have attempted has fixed the game saves or quick saves.  Re-installing the game to see if anything changes because playing permanent hard core mode is not fun.

So this is another game that doesn't support Folder Redirection.  I was able to play for a while last night and reload the save this morning but once in game saves were disabled.  I used 'Hard Link Shell Extension' to make  a hard link to the redirected location, rebooted and the game still won't save (will no failure notices).  This is unsatisfactory for modern game development.  

• 1 year later...
On 10/26/2019 at 5:19 AM, Venatoris78 said:

Windows 10, GamePass Version.

Same Problem here. No Auto Save, No Manual Save (greyed out)...

-> unplayable

EDIT: The bat file for the Saved Game Folder worked for me!

Point 11, Bat File Saved Game Folder

Just want to add: I had the Epic version. My saved games used to work, and it may or may not have been the DLC that caused an issue. However, I also upgraded my PC somewhere along the line, and my "saved games" directory had moved, and it must have been messed up in the registry. Other games have used it, but there must be something specific in the way Outer Worlds accesses it, and it stopped work.

Re-running the specific "save games folder" bat file (which creates the directory if necessary, and modifies the registry to point to it) did the trick! Saved me about 50 hours of play time (which frankly, I doubt I would have replayed) and can now enjoy the game! 

Thanks for sharing the fix -