Can't Save - Option grayed out - Normal Difficulty

24 minutes ago, FLCL said:

Bought  the game via Epic launcher and had the same problems.

This will happen when the installer don't create the savegame directories.

Have a try :)

Windows     %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\The Outer Worlds\
Microsoft Store     %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\The Outer Worlds Windows 10\<user-id>\
Linux (Proton)     <Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/578650/pfx/[Note 1]

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Outer_Worlds#Game_data

I love you! 

Worked for me. Thank you so much. 😃

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, FLCL said:

Bought  the game via Epic launcher and had the same problems.

This will happen when the installer don't create the savegame directories.

Have a try :)

Windows     %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\The Outer Worlds\
Microsoft Store     %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\The Outer Worlds Windows 10\<user-id>\
Linux (Proton)     <Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/578650/pfx/[Note 1]

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Outer_Worlds#Game_data

What is the user-id for microsoft store and where can i find it? Because i have tried with both the email and gamertag and it still does not work.

1 hour ago, Auricle said:

I was able to make a new "Saved Games" folder into my "C:\Users\"My User Name"\Saved Games".

From there I moved the full folder "The Outer Worlds" which only had the file called " achievement.dat " into that saved games folder. (Not the game folder which is also named "TheOuterWorlds" with different files like Indiana and Engine and where the .exe is.) At this point when i launched the game on the epic launcher it asked if i wanted to sync data and looks like my in game save button is activated again along with F5 quicksave.

I HOPE this works for everyone else as well.

I had hope but this did not work for me unfortunately. I was neither prompted by the launcher to do any syncing and I also did not have any save functionality.

I also add that I exited the game when I posted it was fixed then relaunched after and changed the screen setting to fullscreen.. it then didnt work again. I then changed it back to its default screen setting, windowed fullscreen, and exited the game and relaunched it. Now it works again. Maybe try that first.

I was having the same issue not being able to save my game. I have the microsoft store version.

All I did was go to C:\ and there was a folder called The Outer Worlds Windows 10. For some reason it was set to read only. Right click the folder and at the bottom theres a box that says read only. Make sure the box is empty and apply. 

Hopefully this helps someone. 

12 hours ago, TribesShazBot said:

What is the user-id for microsoft store and where can i find it? Because i have tried with both the email and gamertag and it still does not work.

I would like to second that, cause I have tried these options and it does not work.

For example: (BlaBla name is made up)

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\The Outer Worlds Windows 10\BlaBla#1630

or

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\The Outer Worlds Windows 10\BlaBla1630

or 

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\The Outer Worlds Windows 10\BlaBla

Thanks

37 minutes ago, Crackonosh said:

I would like to second that, cause I have tried these options and it does not work.

For example: (BlaBla name is made up)

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\The Outer Worlds Windows 10\BlaBla#1630

or

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\The Outer Worlds Windows 10\BlaBla1630

or 

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\The Outer Worlds Windows 10\BlaBla

Thanks

Ok Guys!

I got it worked Thanks to a "Obsessive Power" from Microsoft forum

Mine game created _LOCAL_ folder, where I could find all saved games, so I just moved things

from _LOCAL_ to folder with lots of numbers (in his case 2533274794592237, in mine case 2535414204401863)

and it works like Miracle!

Here is a picture:

383632235_outerworldsavespic.JPG.731fe0e3b4f599e31ec2ed01574dbc57.JPG

5 hours ago, Venatoris78 said:

Windows 10, GamePass Version.

Same Problem here. No Auto Save, No Manual Save (greyed out)...

-> unplayable

EDIT: The bat file for the Saved Game Folder worked for me!

Point 11, Bat File Saved Game Folder

This worked for me! It seems that "Saved Games" is one of the Windows default directories, like Desktop, Documents, Music, etc. Apparently my registry was not set up to point to this Saved Games folder so Outer Worlds was just placing it in the base C drive directory since it couldn't see it. After running the .bat from that website to fix the registry entry for Saved Games, the saving worked properly. I was also asked if I wanted to sync my cloud saves when attempting to launch it from the Epic Games Store.

Edit: This was also likely the case for multiple others who were using the Epic Games Store installation since reinstalling Windows or updating it probably fixed the missing registry entry.

Edited by Navaar

Frankly, I think this is a right mess up.

Looking at all the different fixes we players have tried, and the broad variety of the ones that worked, tells me we have paid £45 for a game that can’t even install itself correctly.

And not one word on their own forums from the Obsidian devs to acknowledge they are trying to fix it.

To those of us who are not that techy and unable to understand half of the fixes suggested here, just a one line reassurance from Obsidian that they are working on it would help lessen my frustration.

That “Try Not To Break It” dig has now probably got Bethesda rofl.

21 minutes ago, Laimma said:

Frankly, I think this is a right mess up.

Looking at all the different fixes we players have tried, and the broad variety of the ones that worked, tells me we have paid £45 for a game that can’t even install itself correctly.

And not one word on their own forums from the Obsidian devs to acknowledge they are trying to fix it.

To those of us who are not that techy and unable to understand half of the fixes suggested here, just a one line reassurance from Obsidian that they are working on it would help lessen my frustration.

That “Try Not To Break It” dig has now probably got Bethesda rofl.

TBF, the issue I had was on Windows (maybe mine, since I've done some odd redirecting stuff w/ the default folders) side since the registry was not set up properly.

5 hours ago, Skyline45 said:

Can confirm! Running the bat file and making sure the correct directories where created under my user account did the trick!

Windows Store Game Pass version for me as well.

Epic Store game. Windows 10.

How do I "run the bat file" please?

51 minutes ago, Laimma said:

WHY IS THIS MARKED AS SOLVED?

It is marked as solved because a workaround has been found that allows users to save their game, not because a patch has been deployed to address the issue. Note that it was the OP who tagged it as "solved", not Obsidian or moderators.

You can run a .bat file by double clicking on it or executing it from the command prompt. You'd need to download it first, of course. Keep in mind that those are external files and not provided or endorsed by Obsidian.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I am playing on Hard, Epic Store release, and had the game completely lose all saves / game progress and gray out the save / load options, WHILE PLAYING - After about 6 hrs of gameplay, while playing, the save menu shows no previous saves, and load is now grayed out.

Also, again, if I press Quicksave, I get the Save Unsuccessful message.

The Save Game folder is there, contains lots of folders / files, but I cannot continue, load, and even if I do select Save, it says Save Successful, but if I chose Save again, no previous saves are listed and Load is still grayed out.

So all gaming progress has been lost, and I'm REALLY not feeling like starting over again.

You can watch my gameplay here, and see how I have saves, am able to save, then suddenly while playing, saving shows no previous saves, and no LOAD option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjOInpMNZSQ

1 hour ago, 213374U said:

It is marked as solved because a workaround has been found that allows users to save their game, not because a patch has been deployed to address the issue. Note that it was the OP who tagged it as "solved", not Obsidian or moderators.

Ahhhh, thanks for the clarification.

22 hours ago, Venatoris78 said:

Windows 10, GamePass Version.

Same Problem here. No Auto Save, No Manual Save (greyed out)...

-> unplayable

EDIT: The bat file for the Saved Game Folder worked for me!

Point 11, Bat File Saved Game Folder

I THINK this worked for me too, but have tried so many things I've lost track lol. SO SO relieved I can now finally play :)