Head bob problem - background layers desync

Just installed the game and started playing. And everything seemed fine until the first night, when I noticed a rather big visual problem (visible more at night because of the contrast, and also that's when I came out into a more open space). Head bobbing weirdly affects the sky and horizon, causing every layer to bob kind of separately. It's only visible while walking/jogging. Doesn't happen at all while sprinting. I can link a video if anyone wants to see exactly what I mean, but it can really make one dizzy. Anyway, did anyone else notice this particular problem?

Edited by leafofsteel
  • Like 3

Moving the thread to technical support.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

An option to turn off bobbing  would only be a temporary fix, but it would work for me. Sprinting seems to be free of head bobbing, and thus causes no problems. I really like the world and all the colours. It's a shame being forced to sprint past everything. I'm also surprised that more people don't complain about it. I wonder if the problem depends on a rig.  If it isn't  then people either are completely immune, or sprint by default :)

Edited by leafofsteel

Yes, few mentions of this yet. But this is literally a first thing i noticed when got out into the open world. Dunno why but its very distracting for me now.  It seems like it shakes not the camera but the whole world around you. The problem also that this thing kills the depth of the world. Far mountains and 2d cloud decals a like fve meters away.

Hope for the fix 😃

A little update - it happens only when walking. I don't notice such thing when running too as a poster above.

Edited by lordzaon
  • Like 1

I am on standard PS4 and turning the camera in general gives a horrible subtle stutter or flickering effect that induces motion sickness and headaches. Not sure if it's a setting or what but it's nigh impossible to play the game for long like this.

Edited by Greyboy

Took me a few hours to notice this odd head bobbing glitch but now I can't unsee it and am unable to continue playing. When a whole planet or moon is moving up and down while you walk around it looks broken. As if the background is the foreground and the foreground is the background. -.-

On 10/25/2019 at 7:00 AM, Shawn Morries said:

Yes, the items in the skybox are shaking with head-bobbing.  Pls just remove head bobing, or add an option to turn it off. 

Obsidian decided to make a FPV only game, and with head bobbing not an 'option' to turn off, made a significant portion of players who get FPV-motion sick guaranteed to get sick... 

Hello!?!  Do any of you read your own forums???  You knew this would happen.  I cannot buy it no matter how much I want to...

• Like 1

It's not just head bobbing, me and other PS4 users experience horrible motion sickness and headaches because turning the camera in general has a subtle flicker or stutter. There is definitely something going on with the settings but not sure what it is. 

• Like 1

This is in the top 3 issues with the game, along with camera panning stutter even with Freesync (with & without vsync) enabled and lack of Ultrawide support, which are gonna stop me playing for a while.

Shame as from the 3-4 hours I've played there's an amazing game there underneath the problems

Edited by Weathers

Ah I thought it was my imagination - it reminded me of some paralax scrolling game from the 80's

As above its not a deal breaker as its such a great game- my #1 is not being able to switch off or dial down HUD elements. I turn the HUD off but then lose even transient pop-up quest messages.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, thedarkcloak said:

Is this being looked into yet? It's a pretty big problem for many people, it seems. :(

Nobody knows I guess. Well the game has been a success already, according to the publisher. So I guess a patch is not high up in their priorities right now. I can't tell if this is normal Obsidian behaviour or if it has changed since they belong to MS.

Well, I finished it yesterday evening. I was able to ignore it by mostly not looking at the sky during normal walking. I leave it for Obsidians consideration whether this is something they want their players to avoid...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I just finished the "tutorial" section and noticed this god awful problem exiting the ship. How is this not fixed yet? It's literally unplayable. The sky is bouncing around like a rabbit on speed. And I can't find a fix or tweak anywhere? Is this because of my ultrawide and high FOV?

1 hour ago, Svelemoe said:

I just finished the "tutorial" section and noticed this god awful problem exiting the ship. How is this not fixed yet? It's literally unplayable. The sky is bouncing around like a rabbit on speed. And I can't find a fix or tweak anywhere? Is this because of my ultrawide and high FOV?

No, this is also true for users of normal resolutions. It isn't fixed? This is rediculous. After all this time...