Hello Wiseude,

I'm sorry you are getting these stuttering issues during your playthrough of The Outer Worlds. Would you mind providing me a bit of information to help us look into this issue?

1. A few locations where this issue is occurring.

2. Platform (PC, Xbox, PS4).

3. System Specifications (If on PC).

4. Save file where the issue is occurring. (Instuctions to find save files can be found here.)

Thank you, and sorry for the inconvenience these stuttering issues are causing.

1 hour ago, SChin said:

Hello Wiseude,

I'm sorry you are getting these stuttering issues during your playthrough of The Outer Worlds. Would you mind providing me a bit of information to help us look into this issue?

1. A few locations where this issue is occurring.

2. Platform (PC, Xbox, PS4).

3. System Specifications (If on PC).

4. Save file where the issue is occurring. (Instuctions to find save files can be found here.)

Thank you, and sorry for the inconvenience these stuttering issues are causing.

Video of the issue.These spots are everywhere.

Platform:PC

Dxdiag for PC specs below in dxdiag

Save below

DxDiag.txt SaveGame.dat

Edited by Wiseude
better explanation

Hey Wiseude,

Thank you for getting that information to me.  The link to YouTube wasn't working for me, but I attached the rest of the information you provided to a report I created for this issue.  If you notice any changes, please add any additional information to this thread as I linked it to the report so the devs can see it during their investigation.

Thanks again for your help with this issue!

From what I've seen online that stuttering appears to show up specific when going through tall grass.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

1 hour ago, SChin said:

Hey Wiseude,

Thank you for getting that information to me.  The link to YouTube wasn't working for me, but I attached the rest of the information you provided to a report I created for this issue.  If you notice any changes, please add any additional information to this thread as I linked it to the report so the devs can see it during their investigation.

Thanks again for your help with this issue!

link work now?

1 hour ago, Pidesco said:

From what I've seen online that stuttering appears to show up specific when going through tall grass.

I've had spot stutters on random rocks and random paths.there doesnt seem to be any consistency from what I can tell.

Copy pasting from a different thread as this one specifically addresses stuttering as opposed to screen tearing. Save included below.

Having the same issues. I have G-Sync turned on and setup properly (as tested by Blur Busters -- in game V-Sync off, Nvidia control panel V-Sync on, G-Sync set for fullscreen only, etc.), I have the game running in exclusive fullscreen, I have the latest drivers, and I'm running an 8700K and 1080 Ti system with 16GB of RAM. Nothing is overheating, nothing is dangerously overclocked.

Some other details that may or may not help the devs:

• The game is running on an SSD.
  • Even when the game is set to fullscreen, I'm still able to quite easily alt-tab out and perform other actions, with the game still running and displayed on my first monitor. This seems to be somewhat abnormal behavior for fullscreen games, at least in my experience. Typically, alt-tabbing is quite an ordeal, and can risk crashing a game (or at least causing some annoying screen flickers). Is the game truly running in exclusive fullscreen?
  • I have two monitors, both 144Hz, but only one (the one the game's running on) with G-Sync compatibility.
  • I'm playing through the Xbox Game Pass for PC.
  • I've completely uninstalled my drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller (performed properly -- I ran it in Safe Mode and as an Administrator), and then re-installed the latest ones.
  • I do not have GeForce Experience. The only overlay tool I have is Rivatuner Statistics Server, for capping the FPS at 141. I've tried without that software as well.
  • I'm on the first planet, and it happens everywhere. In Edgewater, and out in the world.

At 1080p with my current system, I see frequent FPS drops into the low 80s, and out in the wilds, it's usually well above 100. However, even at high framerates, the stuttering is constant. I'm not exaggerating. Every few seconds, stutter. Standing still but turning the camera, stutter.

And yes, I've tried with G-Sync off, too, as well as with normal in-game V-Sync on (that just made things worse).

I would be more than happy to record a clip of the stuttering in action, or provide any other details needed by the devs.

SaveGameScreenshot.png

Metadata.dat SaveGame.dat

Edited by Polycount

• 7 months later...

I was suffering from stuttering and all-time 100% CPU usage.

As i suggest, the problem is related to the UE4 feature of world loading. The game might have the legacy of console optimisation with it's restricted amount of RAM. Every time you move around and turn the camera, the Engine loads and unloads the surroundings and LODs to/from RAM in order to do everything not to extend RAM load more than 4 Gb. This loads the CPU pretty much/ Current-gen PCs with 8+ Gigs of RAM have the opportunity to hold the surroundings in RAM without loading and unloading. This helped for me to get rid of the stuttering and all-time 100% CPU usage. Now the CPU loads to 100% only while loading new locations and there are micro-stutters. Other time CPU loads something about 60-90%. Still on Ultra.

This might be useful for all Unreal Engine 4 games:

-Locate Engine.INI (it might be different depending on your version of the game)

Windows %LOCALAPPDATA%\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\
Microsoft Store %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_hv3d7yfbgr2rp\LocalCache\Local\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\
Steam Play (Linux) <Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/578650/pfx/

- Open the file with text editor and add following strings:

[/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]
r.MipMapLodBias=-1
r.ViewDistanceScale=5
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-2
r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.25
foliage.LODDistanceScale=5

These commands force the engine to load the world further into the RAM, but this may be FPS-sensitive. 

You can play with these commands, as they are explained by the Link.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm having this on Xbox One X. It's ruining my experience. It's even worse on the DLC. I haven't played since launch and picked it up after the last update play through had some annoying stuttering issues got the DLC and it's like unplayable. It stutters when I run, when I turn. It's no good....

• 2 years later...

It yanks you out of the experience. Stuttering is to immersion what hiccups are to talking. It just rips you right out of the experience.

I'm on an RTX 4090 with my frame rate capped at 120 and still stuttering with low GPU usage. Unreal Engine 4 had a lot of problems with stuttering.

Let us pray that Unreal Engine 5 doesn't stutter as well. Although it probably will. And unfortunately, most developers don't know how

detrimental stuttering is to your experience while gaming. I have many games that I just never played solely because of stuttering.