Outer Worlds PC - Wireless Xbox controller not recognized or responding

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry for the control issues you're running into.  I put in a report for this so the team can investigate this.  I was curious if the game recognizes the controllers while they're plugged in and not in wireless mode or if they still have the issue.

If you notice any changes, please continue to post information about them here as I will be linking this thread to the report as a reference for the devs.

Thank you, and sorry for the inconvenience the controller issues are causing.

Perhaps this is a shot in the dark, but maybe there's a chance the info in this thread will help with this issue:

• Thanks 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

This was suggested in another thread:

41 minutes ago, Spleen-Splitta said:

When Using a Xbox One Controller for PC make sure your Steam is closed because steam loads the controller config and it conflicts with the Win 10 version of The Outer worlds. Hope this Helps.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

3 hours ago, ZakKa.dev said:

Not sure if this helps, but an xbox one controller with an USB cable works fine. Can't test bluetooth at the moment since my dongle is broken. Will report back once I get that fixed. 

Yes, same here, I used an xbox controller (non-bluetooth) wired USB and it works.  Will try wiring the wireless on in later.

23 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

This was suggested in another thread:

Thanks, but steam was closed.

3 hours ago, SChin said:

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry for the control issues you're running into.  I put in a report for this so the team can investigate this.  I was curious if the game recognizes the controllers while they're plugged in and not in wireless mode or if they still have the issue.

If you notice any changes, please continue to post information about them here as I will be linking this thread to the report as a reference for the devs.

Thank you, and sorry for the inconvenience the controller issues are causing.

Thanks, good to see you here!

• 2 weeks later...

I also cannot use my gamepad I use with no problems for every other game. I use a Wii U Pro controller with a mayfly adapter that makes it recognized as a 360 controller. Like I said, it works fine with every othger game I have but this game wont recognize it. Really, really disappointing that it works for low budget garbage games but not this.

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on this? I've tried it with a wired Xbox One and Xbox 360 controller and neither worked. The same controllers work flawlessly in many other games. I am playing the game with Gamepass if that makes a difference. I've tried running it in full screen. I've tried closing steam which other's reported as helping. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the controller. I've tried rebooting the system. Nothing seems to help. 

8 hours ago, JackTheGipper said:

Any update on this? I've tried it with a wired Xbox One and Xbox 360 controller and neither worked. The same controllers work flawlessly in many other games. I am playing the game with Gamepass if that makes a difference. I've tried running it in full screen. I've tried closing steam which other's reported as helping. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the controller. I've tried rebooting the system. Nothing seems to help. 

Mine wasn't working when connected via bluetooth, even though other games recognized it.  It did work when wired via USB.   

I ended up deleting and reinstalling my laptop's bluetooth/wifi driver, and now it works.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I assume this still hasn't been fixed yet, I've just got a Legion 5 Pro and started the game to find the controller doesn't work, also is there a issue with save games too? Luckily I've only just started the game and when I came back to it today I had to start a new game again as the Load Game option was missing. 

• 11 months later...

July 2022 and keep happening, you can play a while but when you change the windows o let it for a while it stuck,if you press a key in the keyboard it show the keyboard layout in screen after if you press a button it shows the button layouts on screen but not respond, you need to restart the game with the keyboard and mouse.