Apparently Fallout 76 now has a subscription fee

daven

12 bucks / month to play solo and get few trinkets. No thanks. 😄

Apparently it is also required to play with mods later? Trying to make more money off of the modding community again. Hilarious.

Edited by Lexx
  • Haha 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Hm, suspect they'll make some decent money on it.  Gamer jihad aside.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think Bethesda is trolling us at this point. Well played, Todd, well played indeed.

On a serious note, the only way you can really justify that fee is the private server. These servers are not free to maintain and paying for private servers is not a new idea. That said, you can only have 8 players on a server (assuming there are still 8 players playing this game). Also, someone with a subscription has to be in the game at all times for the private server to function, so if 8 players want to play on a private server and be able to play any time they want, whether the other 7 are on or not, then all 8 would need to buy subscriptions. Also also, it would be one thing to do this for a game that was a smashing success and a media darling, it takes some balls to roll this out for a game that was almost universally panned by critics and gamers alike. Also also also, putting a quality of life feature like unlimited crafting storage that solves an artificially created problem behind a paywall is a super scumbag move.

tl;dr Activision/Blizzard: "Did you see how quickly we nuked our reputation?" Bethesda: "Hold my beer..."

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The most odd things about it:

1) There are people still playing Fallout76

2) There are people who will probably pay for the pass

It's pretty much whale hunting at this point. Game is doomed beyond a chance of redemption, so lets milk as much as we can from the few suckers who still play it. Microtransactions must still bring money.

• Like 1

16X times the details tho!

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

well still no GoG for outer worlds means no deal for me sadly

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

4 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

well still no GoG for outer worlds means no deal for me sadly

If I understood it correctly, it is Epic and MS store timed exclusive for PC. Correct me if I am wrong. We’ll see if MS will allow this on GOG at some point in the future or the Obsidian will be gone from there forever, like other MS games.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

7 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

If I understood it correctly, it is Epic and MS store timed exclusive for PC. Correct me if I am wrong. We’ll see if MS will allow this on GOG at some point in the future or the Obsidian will be gone from there forever, like other MS games.

I don't think they stated if its only timed exclusive or not, but I am done with other platforms, GoG or bust

20 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I think Bethesda is trolling us at this point. Well played, Todd, well played indeed.

On a serious note, the only way you can really justify that fee is the private server. These servers are not free to maintain and paying for private servers is not a new idea. That said, you can only have 8 players on a server (assuming there are still 8 players playing this game). Also, someone with a subscription has to be in the game at all times for the private server to function, so if 8 players want to play on a private server and be able to play any time they want, whether the other 7 are on or not, then all 8 would need to buy subscriptions. Also also, it would be one thing to do this for a game that was a smashing success and a media darling, it takes some balls to roll this out for a game that was almost universally panned by critics and gamers alike. Also also also, putting a quality of life feature like unlimited crafting storage that solves an artificially created problem behind a paywall is a super scumbag move.

tl;dr Activision/Blizzard: "Did you see how quickly we nuked our reputation?" Bethesda: "Hold my beer..."

Right I have never seen anyone say 'Hold my beer' then in the past few days I keep seeing everyone put it on comments and forums and what not. What the hell is all that about?

Another one as well... RIP. Everyone suddenly started saying it to any minor negative thing. 

Don't make me shake my walking stick at you young uns! Dammit them clouds are annoying me best go shout at them.

nowt

30 minutes ago, daven said:

Right I have never seen anyone say 'Hold my beer' then in the past few days I keep seeing everyone put it on comments and forums and what not. What the hell is all that about?

Another one as well... RIP. Everyone suddenly started saying it to any minor negative thing. 

Don't make me shake my walking stick at you young uns! Dammit them clouds are annoying me best go shout at them.

The hold my beer phrase started with this story ;)

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2015/07/hold-beer-story-tommy-fitz-drunken-bet/

It's just bet, that I can do much crazier ****, than you ;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

We’ll see if MS will allow this on GOG at some point in the future or the Obsidian will be gone from there forever, like other MS games.

MS expressed a while back willingness to release their games on more platforms. However, that was regarding their games not being locked behind MStore, and being released on steam. They did state they are willing to release on more platforms then steam, whenever it includes GOG or not I do not know. Gears5 didn’t come to GOG afterall. I don’t hold my breath that new releases will come to consumer friendly and DRM free store. 

3 hours ago, Wormerine said:

MS expressed a while back willingness to release their games on more platforms. However, that was regarding their games not being locked behind MStore, and being released on steam. They did state they are willing to release on more platforms then steam, whenever it includes GOG or not I do not know. Gears5 didn’t come to GOG afterall. I don’t hold my breath that new releases will come to consumer friendly and DRM free store. 

I understood it more in lin of Steam and Epic. The only MS games on GoG are from companies, which published their games on GoG, before they were bought out.

6 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

I don't think they stated if its only timed exclusive or not, but I am done with other platforms, GoG or bust

I'm pretty sure they stated a one year timed exclusivity but they did not mention where it might end up after that. I'm guessing Steam is probable but GOG is the big mystary even after the full first year Epic/MS Store run. 

Free games updated 3/4/21

7 hours ago, daven said:

"Hold my beer" is a phrase used when someone does something really stupid or crazy and then someone else comes along and seemingly tries to one up them by doing something even more stupid and crazy. The idea is that someone getting hammered drunk sees someone else do something really foolish that gets attention and, in a drunken stupor, decides to one up them and asks the person next to them to "hold their beer" while they proceed to do something even more foolish.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks