Hi everybody!

I'm back to this game (I had almost finished it with a pally, almost 2 years ago I think). I'm planning to get POE2 soon, and would like to build a character to bring through the first and then import in the second chapter. I believe this is possible, yes? Now.. I'm very fond of monks in this moment, will they be performing in the 2nd chapter? Will the experience be rewarding in terms of good role play? I just don't value fights or difficulty too much, I value RP. 

Thanks for your help.

P.s. Ofc, I also own a paladin. It's a fire godlike iirc.. Worth taking to 2nd?

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

Monks are very good in Deadfire in general. Also because you can do lots of different stuff with them (see multiclassing) and it's all pretty great. Single Class Monks are also very good because they get really nice high level abilites. 

• Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

Monks are very good in Deadfire in general. Also because you can do lots of different stuff with them (see multiclassing) and it's all pretty great. Single Class Monks are also very good because they get really nice high level abilites. 

Thanks Boeroer, good to see you still lead the way here ;)

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

Sorry I'll double-post just to get some info about char-building 'cos I don't remember much... How should I build this monk? I was thinking of dwarf, but don't remember the right combinations of culture and/or starting things...

Well, I was thinking at initial setup.. stuff like backgrounds, stats, dwarf subrace etc.. I don't know if in DF something is gonna change... Why do you say I gotta have sabres? Is there any problem with unarmed attacks? And, other than that.. does dual wield affect fists? 

As a backup . You will meet some enemies who are immune to crush damage. You don't want to use your fists against them because you would deal 0 damage then.

I didn't say you got to have sabres. It was just an example for a non-crushing backup weapon. Hatchets or spears would be even better because they'd use the same weapon focus as your fists. So maybe just keep some hatchets in the second weapon slot just in case you meet crush immune foes. They also provide +10 deflection which can be good in certain situations (when getting overwhelmed for example).

You can also switch to them when you see that the enemies' slash DR is a lot lower than their crush DR. Then they'd do more damage than fists.

Dual fists just work like dual weapons (speed bonuses and all). No worries. 

Dwarf ist fine. But race doesn't matter much. Background same. Best to use what appeals to you. The mechanical differences are rather marginal. Boreal Dwarfs can be very good in the early game because of their bonus against wilders and primordials - you will meet tons of xaurips, oozes, trolls, delemgan and lurkers. So I'd say Boreal Dwarf is good. 

In Deadfire - when importing your PoE char - you are only importing your choices actually. You can totally reform the rest of your char: race, background, class. So don't be too strict.

Since the mechanics, classes and abilities changed in Deadfire a bit it's sometimes difficult to build a 1:1 character for it in PoE right away. 

Edited by Boeroer

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

In Deadfire - when importing your PoE char - you are only importing your choices actually. You can totally reform the rest of your char: race, background, class. So don't be too strict.

Oh, I thought any choice made during character creation stayed intact... Ok then, I'll try to build this char following my own taste. Is there a special stat I should invest most points in?

DEX and PER are most important. 

I wouldn't min-max too much.

Lots of INT is good if you want to use Torment's Reach a lot. It makes the cone bigger. If not then it's not as important.