RandOm vIDeo gAme newS

Amentep

At this point, GoG needs to separate the refund process from the studio pay-out, and to an extent just eat the refund out of pocket, and not screw over the studios.  They can see what games are crap, and they can easily track which accounts abuse their refund process the most. But would they then retroactively reimburse the studio for lost sales? (not a chance)

Instead, they should have something like a thirty strike rule —where if you refund every game you buy, then statistically it's you, and not the games at fault. This internal estimate could be affected by the raw dollar amount billed from the account, and catch accounts that always refund the expensive games no matter what; have a sixty dollar game count as six ten dollar titles, rather than just one on their list of returns.

These return policies are affecting the way games are now designed; meaning studios are not technically free to design the game (or narrative) in the way they might like.

• Like 1

Rimworld got surprise DLC. Price seems bit steep but otherwise might be fun

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1149640/RimWorld__Royalty/

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Shame Outer Worlds is not on GOG, now...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I've been curious about this game, but the graphics turn me off. I had trouble getting into Prison Architect for the same reason.

I got prison architect and I was not able to get into it either, but this is quite fun, try it on sale if you are not sure

• Thanks 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Shame Outer Worlds is not on GOG, now...

I have a hard time imagining TOW on GOG, TOW is like a perfectly refined "modern" game and not anywhere near a "classic" (in the current understanding of what a "classic" is).  If someone tries to sell it as a "classic" anywhere in the near future, they're being greedy and cynical, which further erodes their credibility.

I just had the realization that it's been 10 years since DICE and EA released a Battlefield game I gave a **** about. How has it been a whole decade since Bad Company 2 and why in the world haven't they made another one? To the best of my knowledge, BC2 sold really really well.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

5 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I just had the realization that it's been 10 years since DICE and EA released a Battlefield game I gave a **** about. How has it been a whole decade since Bad Company 2 and why in the world haven't they made another one? To the best of my knowledge, BC2 sold really really well.

Well, it's more investments than just making MP Battlefails, they'd have to hire quality voice actors and story writers.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

8 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

I have a hard time imagining TOW on GOG, TOW is like a perfectly refined "modern" game and not anywhere near a "classic" (in the current understanding of what a "classic" is).  If someone tries to sell it as a "classic" anywhere in the near future, they're being greedy and cynical, which further erodes their credibility.

You do know that GOG doesn't stand for "Good Old Games" anymore? There is nothing that prevents "modern" games to release on GOG.

• Like 4

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

15 hours ago, Lexx said:

You do know that GOG doesn't stand for "Good Old Games" anymore? There is nothing that prevents "modern" games to release on GOG.

Normally I wouldn't even pay a mind to it but I've run across people who consider GOG the antithesis to modern gaming, which kinda triggered me, so naturally I feel compelled to chime in my 2 cents to justify my position.

"Is Chaos Theory As Good As I Remember?" You bet your sweet ass it is.

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Looks like one more country is taking action against gambling

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Out of the Park Baseball 21 is in pre-order. It's coming out in three weeks! I buy this every year. If you love Football Manager and you love baseball (a yes for me on both counts) then this is your game:

They also make Franchise Hockey Manager. They are up to version 6. It's good... but flawed. I'd hold off until 7 comes out this August. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

^ Semi-related, admittedly hijacked:

As a non-American who's always wanted to get into baseball but struggles with the rules and the copious amount of data everywhere (seriously, it seems like 50% of the sport is tables, numbers, and ratios), how do I start? How do I make it comprehensible?

57 minutes ago, Skazz said:

^ Semi-related, admittedly hijacked:

As a non-American who's always wanted to get into baseball but struggles with the rules and the copious amount of data everywhere (seriously, it seems like 50% of the sport is tables, numbers, and ratios), how do I start? How do I make it comprehensible?

You mean watching it or playing a game like OOTP? If you are new to the sport I wouldn't recommend OOTP, It kicks you right into the deep end of team management. Stats and numbers a a huge part of the players success in managing a team.

But as for watching it and just enjoying the game I'm going to start the annual baseball thread in the Way Off Topic later today. We'll talk about it there if you like. It's one of my favorite subjects!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I meant it as in watching it, although I was thinking about buying the game sometime in the future, too.

57 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

But as for watching it and just enjoying the game I'm going to start the annual baseball thread in the Way Off Topic later today. We'll talk about it there if you like. It's one of my favorite subjects!

That sounds great, but like I said, I'm still at a phase where I look at stuff and have no idea what exactly is going on. 🤪

Any tips on how to, er, start (consciously, eventually) watching baseball? Or, well, get into the sport in general. However dumb that may sound.

Edited by Skazz

I love watching baseball. Just focus on the pitcher/batter relationship. You have a guy stepping into a box trying to hit a ball going close to 100 mph. Sometimes it dips and curves, sometimes it spins away and sometimes it ends up in your ribs! It is the most dramatic and tense moment in sports.

On 3/1/2020 at 12:57 PM, Skazz said:

I meant it as in watching it

Why do you want to hurt yourself?  Or are you suffering from insomnia ?

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Conan Exiles is getting an expansion, sounds like there might be a new map, so that's exciting news since, well, I kinda know the current one by now ;) Maybe we'll get some technical improvements too (server software is not particularly high quality, it leaks memory as if it were a sieve)

https://twinfinite.net/2020/03/conan-exiles-expansion-dune/

Oh yes, also Conan Exiles-style Dune survival game, but we already knew that one was in the works.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 4