RandOm vIDeo gAme newS

Amentep

At any rate I appreciate getting out of the police station and out in the streets of Raccoon City (even if Jill does spend a spell inside of RPD headquarters; developers after all capitalise on re-using old assets whenever they can) so that the player can appreciate the scale of the zombie apocalypse. RE2 Remake gave us a tantalizing view of that in the intro, but sadly still confined its scope to no more than two city blocks. 

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

Well, RE3 *was* more action-oriented than previous titles of the franchise. For me it was pretty much the beginning of the downfall, because it was clear from then on it'll be more and more shooting stuff and less of what RE1 was.

"Action-orientated" actually started with 2 and went full bore with 3.  I did like the custom ammo though, I never made anything but magnum rounds.  However yes, I miss the atmosphere of RE1 1996 and was one of the few westerners who preferred that over focusing too much on action.

On 12/6/2019 at 8:21 AM, algroth said:

Riot Games announces RiotForge, a new subsidiary dedicated to single-player games, which will be unveiling a new "story-driven game" next week at the Game Awards.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/the-game-awards-will-include-around-10-new-game-reveals/

https://riotforgegames.com/

Turns out the first game is Ruined King: A League of Legends Story, and will be a turn-based RPG.

Edit: and there's a second single-player League-based game announced called Convergence, which will be an action platformer based around Ekko, playing around with time-warping mechanics and so on. Sounds cool.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

7 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

"Action-orientated" actually started with 2 and went full bore with 3.  I did like the custom ammo though, I never made anything but magnum rounds.  However yes, I miss the atmosphere of RE1 1996 and was one of the few westerners who preferred that over focusing too much on action.

That's why I never even really liked RE2 as much as anyone else. It got praised so hard but I was always like "meh".

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Disco Elysium was the big winner of the night, going 4 for 4. Would have liked to see some more love for The Outer Worlds but I'm glad the former's getting the recognition it's getting. The biggest robbery of the night is Perkz being denied best esports player over some Fortnite kid, what the **** was that about, seriously?

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

33 minutes ago, Hawke64 said:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/950670/Gothic_Playable_Teaser/

Gothic. I am unsure, if it is possible to recreate the original game and make it accessible for wider audience, but it does look interesting.

Finished the demo, it gives about 2 hours of gameplay. What I don't like is the change in atmosphere, everything is to shiny and colorful compared to the old Gothic. Approach to combat is interesting, but buggy in the demo. I think it's to much similar to the Witcher 3 to appease the hardcore fans.

166215__front.jpg

Am I the only one excited over The Wolf Among Us 2 news?

• Hmmm 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

1 hour ago, Skarpen said:

Finished the demo, it gives about 2 hours of gameplay. What I don't like is the change in atmosphere, everything is to shiny and colorful compared to the old Gothic. Approach to combat is interesting, but buggy in the demo. I think it's to much similar to the Witcher 3 to appease the hardcore fans.

I gave up as soon as the combat started.  Tries to focus too much on finesse at the expense of practicality. 

2 hours ago, Skarpen said:

Ever since I played Dark Souls I started to wish for a Gothic game using something similar to DS system - in many ways DS combat reminded me of what Gothic tried to achieve, but was quite horrible at. Still G1&2 are probably the best open world RPGs I have ever played. 

3 hours ago, Hawke64 said:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/950670/Gothic_Playable_Teaser/

Gothic. I am unsure, if it is possible to recreate the original game and make it accessible for wider audience, but it does look interesting.

Jesus Christ, wtf. Checked out some gameplay and I'm cringing so hard.... What is this? Gothic as written by a 13 years old edge lord? I feel seriously bad for the writer, because he/she clearly is a worse writer than I am, and I'm sure as hell no writer.

Edited by Lexx
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On 12/13/2019 at 12:07 PM, Wormerine said:

Uuuu... Ex-Arcane people

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/12/13/arkane-veterans-announce-weird-west/

so like Hard West, but hopefully good. 

I always say that the best RPGs don't try to satisfy fans of a certain classics but stand on their own feet. This one has potential. Let's hope the developers will make a good game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Isn't being a Civ clone the point? Civ games vary their mechanics too, so this really looks just like another variation of it.

It’s certainly tackling the same theme as CIv, but there is inherent way Civ games progress. It’s all about positive feedback loop. What I am most interested to see is, if it is something they will try to tackle. Civ6 tried to fix some of Civ inherent problems, especially with Rising Storm expansion but I didn’t feel like they quite succeeded. 

RPShas written a nice article about it a while back.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/03/15/all-rise-and-no-fall-how-civilization-reinforces-a-dangerous-myth/

• Thanks 3

22 hours ago, Wormerine said:

It’s certainly tackling the same theme as CIv, but there is inherent way Civ games progress. It’s all about positive feedback loop. What I am most interested to see is, if it is something they will try to tackle. Civ6 tried to fix some of Civ inherent problems, especially with Rising Storm expansion but I didn’t feel like they quite succeeded. 

RPShas written a nice article about it a while back.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/03/15/all-rise-and-no-fall-how-civilization-reinforces-a-dangerous-myth/

For me what matters is if the game will have an option to turn on that removes the "extermination" X from 4X. I love playing Civ as a civ builder only, without the going to war with each other part. And even when this is not inherently built into the game, someone always creates a mod for it, as is the case with Civ 5 which is what I currently play.

I love Civ, it as also refined it's problems to an incredible extent. It's a rich game. I don't want them to throw out all that history. Which makes it hard to get a drastically different experience out of a similar premise.

Hopefully Humankind offers a fresh take on a niche that is dominated by a single series.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, injurai said:

Hopefully Humankind offers a fresh take on a niche that is dominated by a single series.

Pretty much this. I love my Civ, but the “genre” has potential for more designs. For one humankind seems to go classless - as if no Civs. Either way, humankind goes against a juggernaut, so they better to something interesting really really well.