Hey! Just curious what people are going to play as their 1st build. I’m personally thinking of a charming sneak thief that is high in leadership. I’m wondering if I can do a totally pacifist play through. I’ll sneak everywhere in disguise and if I get caught try to talk my way out of it, and if all else fails my companions can get their hands dirty. I’m just curious if this is even plausible early game... can you befriend marauders? Not kill aliens or robots? Thoughts please! Thanks! 

In Obsidian games and similar RPGs, I usually play as high INT, high CHA smooth talkers who use small guns/sniper rifles. (or daggers/bows) So naturally in the Outer Worlds I'll be playing against type, and my first character will be a low INT, high STR melee character who kills everyone he is annoyed by. I'm gonna see if I can turn him into a dumb brute juggernaut that smashes his way through every problem with a two handed hammer.

Edited by LydiaBrauner
  • Like 5

Average strength and temperance. Good dex, very high intellect and perception. Below average Charisma. Primary skills ranged and technology. Perks gonna focus on Tactical Time Dilation, with secondary priority being an even split between science weapons and carrying capacity.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LydiaBrauner said:

In Obsidian games and similar RPGs, I usually play as high INT, high CHA smooth talkers who use small guns/sniper rifles. (or daggers/bows) So naturally in the Outer Worlds I'll be playing against type, and my first character will be a low INT, high STR melee character who kills everyone he is annoyed by. I'm gonna see if I can turn him into a dumb brute juggernaut that smashes his way through every problem with a two handed hammer.

You had me at high INT high CHA sniper.  My Fallout mains were *always* fast talkin' science guys.  However, maybe I should go against type.  Maybe not the *exact* way, but something different.  Maybe.

• Thanks 1

"Not for the sake of much time..."

Playing a thiefy sort of character is a given because that's my preferred type of character in any RPG since forever. However I think this time I'll ditch the social skills and rely instead on technical skills ...and violence.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I think I'm going to take a crack at leader right out of the barrel, give myself some versatility based upon my companions, and hopefully gain additional benefits from being charismatic. I might wind up doing a stealthy goody two shoes intelligence focused hacker type though. I never really know until I fire the game up just what I'll wind up doing first, because I know I'll eventually do it all.

I've had a good while to think about it and I still wind up thinking "Leadership sounds neat" and you always want some kind of persuasive ability IMO, and personally I like being able to convince people of the truth without having to break things or shoot people. Call it personal preference, I have a strong tendency toward playing "Myself in this situation" my first time out in a new RPG. Although what that says about my Cipher in Pillars is anyone's guess. Good things? I'm going to go with good things.

Beef up Intelligence, Perception, Temperment.

Focus on Long Guns, Medical, Engineering, Determination

Probably go with High Maintenance and Precision as level 2 and 4 perks, after that, dunno yet.

EDIT:

https://nukesdragons.com/outer-worlds/character?v=1&a=00220251-0&s=-r2O0-700---kO0O-y0O&p=24201a32333b1516212b3436172a2d&f=&n=

Something like that

Edited by ComradeMaster

I started two characters, one on PC with Very High Intelligence and Very High Charm. Everything else Average. Only just got to Edgewater and the girl wanted me to go to bed with her. After she fell asleep I streamed my Xbox to my iPad (using the app OneCast) and played until 6am. This time my build was High Intelligence and High Perception. I noticed I was killing people a lot easier. But I really want to do a nice Min/Max build, but going below average on anything seems like it hurts so bad! Thoughts?

Thanks for showing the build calculator site!

Was going for a cowboy / Captain Malcolm Reynolds build.  Wanted to be able to run n gun up close with a pistol.  Almost a melee pistol, just without the melee.  It's mostly Ranged/Dodge based with some Dialog thrown in to help talk my way out of trouble or into it as needed.  Dialog also helps by adding Cower/Scramble/Terrify to some of your attacks so it helps with gunplay.  Playing with the Build calculator site I came up with this.  Pistol / Dodge Build

I'd love the option of poison/plague/corrosion area attacks. My favorite build would be a tank, shrugging off attacks while the enemies succumb to my dots. N-rays working on myself would help somewhat or being able to use the inhaler to aoe-gas enemies around me.

3 hours ago, lewe said:

For those who want a science build. Although, according to the description, science should increase plasma, electric damage and science weapons, science does not affect it in any way.

I haven't started the game yet. Is it easy to obtain science weapon early on in the game?

2H melee tank on Supernova with max STR/TEM, everything else average. Heavy armor, lots of regen, and respectable damage between high Strength and Power Attacks. Main companion is Ellie for team survivability, with Max/Nyoko as ranged DPS. A key consideration for companions is that they have ranged ultimates; companions like Parvati with melee ultimates pull themselves out of cover and risk permadeath as a result.

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

10 hours ago, kris84 said:

I haven't started the game yet. Is it easy to obtain science weapon early on in the game?

Define "early". Science weapons show up in the second "area". They are pricey to keep leveled, can't be modded, and are almost universally gimmicky. I'm sure they are fun to use, but I think I'd rather just shoot things.

https://theouterworlds.wiki.fextralife.com/Science+Weapons

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

11 hours ago, Achilles said:

Define "early". Science weapons show up in the second "area". They are pricey to keep leveled, can't be modded, and are almost universally gimmicky. I'm sure they are fun to use, but I think I'd rather just shoot things.

https://theouterworlds.wiki.fextralife.com/Science+Weapons

Ok thanks. I guess second area is early enough that makes it worth putting points into science from the beginning of the game. 

I see in tour link that science weapon also has a specifik weapon type like handguns, longrange and so on. Does is it mean that i need to invest in both science and handguns to make the shrink weapon to work effectively?