Question

Gorgon

My mom has a network connector in her, I think it's a chrome book - one of those slim laptops from when that was the thing - I'm trying to order an adapter that can go from her wall socket internet to her laptop. 

What is the smaller standard of network connectors used for laptops called  ?

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

49 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

What is the smaller standard of network connectors used for laptops called  ?

USB.

Chromebooks typically don't have ethernet ports at all, and there is no standard for a mini-ethernet port. Typically you'd just get a USB ethernet adapter, some notebooks might have a proprietary port instead which might connect to a custom dock or whatnot. If you're feeling a bit fancy there are combination dongles that act both as an ethernet adapter and a USB hub at the same time, e.g. this thing.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Yeah, there are way too many different kinds of ports on laptops to know what a "flatter ethernet"-looking port actually would be, especially not knowing the age of the laptop. Most likely, it is not anything network-related at all. I'm kind of curious to see it nonetheless, because I'm unable to think of anything that really looks like an RJ-45 (ethernet) port besides an RJ-11 (modem) port - RJ-45s are a totally hollow port, which basically nothing else on a PC is or really even looks like it is.

(e): Picture that might help:

computer-port-chart.jpg

Only the RJ-11 looks anything like an RJ-45 to me, but you said "flatter", not "thinner", which doesn't jive with that.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.