Xbox Controller Alternatives

Bartimaeus

Anyone familiar with any Xbox 360/One controller alternatives that aren't junk? Should ideally be in the same style - analogue stick in the top left, analogue stick in bottom right, so no dualshock setups (where the left analogue stick is instead in the bottom left - I already have a Logitech dualshock-style controller, and while it's okay for some stuff, it's simply not what I want for general usage). The reason for "not Xbox" being that I've gone through three Xbox One controllers in about a year and a half total (not each!) and they all started having annoying malfunctions, so I'm kind of concluding that their reliability is hot garbage...and you can't really buy Xbox 360 controllers anymore. Additionally, there are serious driver issues with Xbox One controllers on Windows 7, which I'll be on for the foreseeable future, so that's just another annoyance on top of it.

(e): words

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The Xbox controller is so ubiquitous these days that the alternatives are basically cheaper knock-offs of it, or more expensive, sexed-up glowy RGB knock-offs of it. If you want to deviate from that, you could look into using a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, which works out of the box with Steam but a few hoops need jumping to use it more generally.

There are also some reported issues with the contacts wearing out relatively fast on some Switch controllers, so you may want to look up the "drift" problem that's sometimes reported.

8bitdo retro controllers are popular and well-regarded but none really have the shape you're after.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I went the other way, moving from Xbox controllers to Dualshock ones, and couldn't be happier with the move.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The problem I have with dualshock-type controllers is that they're rather uncomfortable and the left analogue stick being deeper into the controller makes it too difficult (...and aggravating to my thumb) to control. Seems like I'm stuck with these terrible Xbox One controllers...although the Switch Pro Controller is interesting, I might try one of those next just for the heck of it.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

For myself the quality of the dpad was a huge advantage of going with Dualshock. In fighting games in particular, it's so much better, and when I use the left stick my thumb reaches it just fine.

For a few years I had a Cyborg gamepad, a 360 gamepad variant that allowed you to switch the dpad and left analogue stick, at any time. Perhaps you can find one of those.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm not really playing anything that needs the d-pad - no fighting games or anything of the sort, mostly just an occasional indie and retro game (and if necessary, I have a cheap Logitech controller if I really need to exclusively use the d-pad). I have a physical condition with my hands that causes them to wear and get aggravated very easily, and the condition is only getting worse with time. Years ago, I remember playing Bloodborne on the PS4 and having to stop playing frequently due to the toll it was taking because of the dualshock controller. I am pretty sure I would not last for long at all today with something like that, unfortunately.

Edited by Bartimaeus

• 4 months later...

Four controllers in two years means I'm officially buying knockoffs in hopes for a more reliable alternative: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Xbox-One-Wired-Controller-Version/dp/B07D12RPHX/?th=1

3QF0l7b.png

to you, Microsoft. Xbox 360 controllers lasted way longer - really wish I could buy those again.

Edited by Bartimaeus