most satisfying race, class, culture, background from a roleplaying perspective

consider playing as a paladin order or a priest subclass that has favored dispositions that forces you into things you might not normally do.

bleakwalker, steel garrote, skaen, and woedica, for example, both have cruel as a favored disposition. (bleakwalkers also have aggressive, for extra "fun" - you might end up getting into lots of extra fights).

start from there and do a build-around in terms of race and background.

i focused on cruel because cruel path is probably under-explored by most players, and being forced to be cruel for gameplay purposes leads to some interesting new outcomes.

• Thanks 1

Here are a few suggestions:

Race: 1. Island Aumaua  2. Fire Godlike  3. Moon Godlike

Culture: Deadfire Archipelago

Background: 1. Aristocrat  2. Clergy  3. Mercenary

Class: 1. Ghostheart/Fury   2. Magran's Priest/ Bleakwalker    3. Soul Blade/Blood Mage

Edited by Kaylon

Interesting. Do you mind explaining why you suggested those class combos (maybe with a spoiler tag even though this is a spoiler subforum)? 

When it comes to race I would also recommend Death Godlike.

Not only because you are the Herald of Berath but also because it's nice for "Eulogy for the Dead" and so on

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

4 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Interesting. Do you mind explaining why you suggested those class combos (maybe with a spoiler tag even though this is a spoiler subforum)? 

When it comes to race I would also recommend Death Godlike.

Reveal hidden contents

Not only because you are the Herald of Berath but also because it's nice for "Eulogy for the Dead" and so on

These combos have many special interactions and are easy to roleplay - one is close to the nature (draws his power from it), one to the gods (draws his power from them) and one to the real world (draws his power from himself). They are also representative of some of the most important traits of the Deadfire Archipelago. For the third option I think Soul Blade/Blood Mage is a more interesting combo.

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 2

Cruel / Rational is standard because priest of woedica always in my party, also these are usually the best dialogue options rational if you want to keep it friendly and cruel if you are about to slaughter the npcs

The only times I don’t pick woedican as priest subclass is when I am building priest multiclass that is not a healer/support then sure I go for Wael or Skaen or Magran but if I want a support character I can’t think of anything better than Woedica/X 

Edited by Blunderboss

I'm kinda torn between the magran priest-bleak walker char suggested by Kaylon and a death godlike priest of berath, I have 0 experience with priests ( I usually play Xoti as a buff bot and not much else) how do they play? Any cool multiclass for priest of berath or is it better a SC?

Death godlike priest have easy and safe access to racial bonus PL. Get brilliant from team cipher, cast BDD and prolong it with SoT. For RP multiclass i'd use bleak or garrote paladin with SI or bloodmage (can spam blood sacrifice without worries). Both mc also get high benefis from additional PL.

52 minutes ago, stronzolo said:

Any cool multiclass for priest of berath or is it better a SC?

one of my very early builds with a berathian + ghost heart itinerant. A priest of berath gets a lot of extra DoTs, which synergizes with ranger's predator's sense. (flavor-wise it seems to work pretty well to have a "ghost pet" as a priest of berath)

since then, the ranger part has gotten better with new abilities and balance changes, and we recently figured out that takedown combo (from ranger) will boost DoT damage, so long as the combo happens after the DoT lands, and the berathian, in addition to having lots of DoTs, also has Cleansing Flame, which is a short-duration-high-damage DoT that would benefit a lot from takedown combo.

Edited by thelee