The Outer Worlds character creation revealed at last

13 hours ago, DekarServerbot said:

i just don't understand why is there a character creation in an one player first person only game, seems like a waste of resources.

I have always been appalled the lack of customization options for characters' backs in 3rd person games. Let me choose how big my shoulder blades are. Do I have a scar in the back of neck? How firm are my buttocks? That's what I'll be watching for 99% of the time so why no options for it? It's a ****ing disgrace!

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

13 hours ago, DekarServerbot said:

i just don't understand why is there a character creation in an one player first person only game, seems like a waste of resources.

...really? You don't understand why an RPG has a character creation system? Really?

• Like 3

You see your character's face in the inventory and when the camera goes into demo mode spinning around the character model (this happens, IIRC, when you leave the controls untouched for a while). Plus, in general, people like to customize their characters. It's something you could even do in Daggerfall, way back when.

Don't most people in real life style their hair, choose clothing etc. Yet 99% of the time you're not looking at your own face/body.

My only concern is why does every character look like a lesbian?!!??!

Edited by daven

nowt

That cyberpunk/space marine mixture surely? Nothing new to the genre, but a bit hammed up from the trailers, intentionally so, seemingly. Just hope the game hits that sweet spot of fun/interest and isn't just non-stop laughs. At times I get reminded of that Old World Blues endless geek humor, and I hope Obsidian managed to avoid that this time around.

Oh COOL! So this game will be like Skyrim were you can choose what type of person you are but in a more futuristic scene. Nice, I love this kinds of games especially when different choices gives out different endings. Thanks for that

22 hours ago, Katarack21 said:

I don't understand. Please explain what a lesbian looks like to me, so I can examine it myself and see if you are correct.

They look like women. I haven't watched that many of the videos, but I can only assume that there are almost no male characters. Bold choice.

2 hours ago, Chairchucker said:

They look like women. I haven't watched that many of the videos, but I can only assume that there are almost no male characters. Bold choice.

There are just as many male charachters shown so far, if not more. -.-

What videos were you watching?

Edited by C2B

1 hour ago, C2B said:

There are just as many male charachters shown so far, if not more. -.-

What videos were you watching?

Like I said, not many videos. But since we've been informed that every character looks like a lesbian, and lesbians are women, we can safely deduce that all the characters are women. QED.

• Gasp! 1

On 10/15/2019 at 11:55 AM, DekarServerbot said:

Any single player game that has a character that has no real backstory or look will have a character creation. If the character is specifically made up by the creators for the story-line then no it doesn't make sense. Like Shepard in mass effect, I understand being able to choose male or female for that game but the character creation beyond that didn't make sense to me. But for this it makes since because your a random person with a random name that this guy thinks will serve his purposes. On another note I do wish if they are going to do character creation they would have body sliders but then I guess it helps avert collision problems with outfits if your body is a given shape and size.

On 10/21/2019 at 12:10 AM, Anhur said:

Any single player game that has a character that has no real backstory or look will have a character creation. If the character is specifically made up by the creators for the story-line then no it doesn't make sense. Like Shepard in mass effect, I understand being able to choose male or female for that game but the character creation beyond that didn't make sense to me. But for this it makes since because your a random person with a random name that this guy thinks will serve his purposes. On another note I do wish if they are going to do character creation they would have body sliders but then I guess it helps avert collision problems with outfits if your body is a given shape and size.

I disagree. In Mass Effect choosing the appearance of Shepard was the one simple thing that you could do to make the character your own. The other thing was to opt for Renegade or Paragon but that took time and was more of an ongoing process but choosing how the character was going to look was immediate and did convey a lot more information. 

Shepard was always something of a blank slate. You could pick up an origin and it would come into play at times but Shepard was never a fully defined character but more like a series of templates and as such it made sense to create a character. 

I would go as far as saying that the possibility to create your own Shepard is the one thing that made Mass Effect a CRPG. You're not limited by a protagonist that already exists, you create your Shepard just like in Fallout New Vegas you create your own Courier. We're not talking about The Witcher in which you're playing a predefined character with an existing background, a personality and very little wiggle room to make it your own. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gloomseeker said:

I disagree. In Mass Effect choosing the appearance of Shepard was the one simple thing that you could do to make the character your own. The other thing was to opt for Renegade or Paragon but that took time and was more of an ongoing process but choosing how the character was going to look was immediate and did convey a lot more information. 

Shepard was always something of a blank slate. You could pick up an origin and it would come into play at times but Shepard was never a fully defined character but more like a series of templates and as such it made sense to create a character. 

I would go as far as saying that the possibility to create your own Shepard is the one thing that made Mass Effect a CRPG. You're not limited by a protagonist that already exists, you create your Shepard just like in Fallout New Vegas you create your own Courier. We're not talking about The Witcher in which you're playing a predefined character with an existing background, a personality and very little wiggle room to make it your own. 

I agree with you on that. My thought was along the line that he/she had a default appearance and name. And those were used on game covers and such. But otherwise, yes, clean slate. But anyways this was all to say that characters that are not predefined usually get a character creator.