Private Division dropping the ball not caring?

As for lack of marketing, I would agree if they were going for a different audience. I think they're going for fans of Obsidian RPGs, and I think all of those are aware of TOW.

As for releasing on the same day as COD, so what? Completely different games with completely different target audiences.

• Thanks 2

"Too much of the animal disfigures the civilized human being, too much culture makes a sick animal."

10 hours ago, PIP-Clownboy said:

Barely any marketing after the EGS deal. Have yet to release PC specs. Release day same as the new COD. 

What gives? 

What are you talking about?

- Pax-Panel, Previews, Prime XBOX E3 appearance (literary the first trailer of the show), a press tour covering half the world (including invited youtubers that have their own audience), Gamescom and Tokyo Game Show appearance,,,,,,

It's been quiet the last month, but thats about it.

No **** COD is inherently a different audience but there is still significant overlap there consider the massive playerbase. Especially when your less cultured friends/family are bugging you to play with them

>Prime XBOX E3 appearance (literary the first trailer of the show), 

Which has more to do with Microsoft now owning Obsidian (and paying for the privilege to put it on Gamepass day 1) than any actual effort Private Division put forth. Showing up at a com' is the bare minimum. 

It's been quiet the last month, but thats about it.

Quiet release month. Yup, no biggie

Edited by PIP-Clownboy

17 hours ago, PIP-Clownboy said:

Barely any marketing after the EGS deal. Have yet to release PC specs. Release day same as the new COD. 

What gives? 

It's almost as if when you get all the money for a product that you'll never be responsible for upfront, you don't really care how well the product does. Crazy, I know.

12 hours ago, Katarack21 said:

Yeah their not going to be stealing each others audiences like...at all. COD fans and Fallout-style RPG fans have some overlap, but not very much.

no, they only overlapped after fallout 4, before that we were aliens and i know why. I had enjoyed the fallout series since the good isometric turn based tactics controls, then 4 happened and i hated it because our protagonists were changed by HAWKE and all solutions to every single problem were either "gun and run" or "radiant repetitive quests", i could not make peace until depravity and project valkyrie mods appeared (well nuka world also gave me another reason to replay, too bad i can't send the pack against the institute)

No they've *always* had some degree of overlap, because almost nobody plays only one genre of game and never any other. Most people play select games from multiple genres but focus more on one or two, rather than *exclusively* playing *one* genre.

Honestly, given the ridiculous advertising budget something like a COD has, I could also say the same about their advertising strategy.  Apart from the recent news about 150+ GB installs, I've seen almost zero regarding the new COD.

It really just depends on whether your primary media sources are in the target demographic for the ad buys.  🤷‍♂️

I'd imagine that Private Division is kinda pissed about Microsoft releasing the game day one on their XGP, so they're not keen on dumping a ton of money into marketing the game, Epic already gave PD a fat check to make it Epic "exclusive" and this is all corporate gamesmanship that really won't benefit The Outer Worlds but likely won't harm it too much either in the long run.

45 minutes ago, ABearIsHere said:

I mean, I imagine that Microsoft and Private Division *negotiated* the release of The Outer Worlds on Game Pass day 1. Microsoft can't just do that on their own, given they don't own the publishing rights to The Outer Worlds.

Enough money can make anything possible.

2 hours ago, Katarack21 said:

Enough money can make anything possible.

I mean, yeah, but that would still imply some sort of negotiation and agreement on the part of the two publishers? Microsoft can't just sneakily insert the game on Game Pass without permission, is my point.

27 minutes ago, ABearIsHere said:

I mean, yeah, but that would still imply some sort of negotiation and agreement on the part of the two publishers? Microsoft can't just sneakily insert the game on Game Pass without permission, is my point.

Yeah no, I was agreeing with you.

• Like 1