I have been destroying with a short-range high Resolve, Might, Constitution mage using the staff stated.  I don't know if I need it, or if it is worth it yet, but would getting the matching Weapon Focus apply to the summoned weapon?

Yes, it works just a quarterstaff in every way. It only has ridiculously high base damage and drains endurance. Besides that it's a "regular" quarterstaff.

You might want to wait for Citzal's Spirit Lance first and take Weapon Focus Soldier though instead of Peasant - because the lance is considered to be even better than the staff. But of course you can retrain when it's time. Or stick to the staff. Since it scales there's no harm. 

It works very well with anything that gives you bonus damage (Two Handed Style, Apprentice's Sneak Attack, Savage Attack and so on) due to its high base damage.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 2 weeks later...

Right. I forgot that soulbounds and summoned weapons are universal and work with every weapon focus (even with the priests' +10 ACC weapon talents). Didn't play PoE for quite some time now. :)

So best to take the weapon focus that fits your "backup" non-summoned weapon. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods