Hi guys!

I've been doing some testing about to make a character that can tank Dorudugan Megaboss and kill him in PoTD upscale solo. His accuraccy is 164 so you need 239 deflection to avoid all attacks and it's possible to permanently have that deflection without casting all the time wizard spells, the only wizard spell you need is Wizard's Double, because you can reach to 199 deflection with equipment, stats, passives, all the no rest bonusses... Wizard's Double will last forever if you never get hit.

There are some problems:

- You need every item that can raise deflection in the game, including Gladiator's Sword (+5) to reach 199 deflection. With that sword, will be a looooong fight (about 15% to hit), including avoiding the meteors that heals him.

- He can hit you with a spell that targets fortitude instead of deflection (I think cleave, that lowers 15% hp) and you will loose Wizard's Double, because I didn't find a way to raise deflection, fortitude and reflexes up to 239 (reflexes nearly 239 with wizard spells).

- You can go up to 269 deflection with other wizard spells (arcane veil, safeward)

I thought about to forget all about to try to permanently have that numbers and lower a bit with a better weapon like Animancer's Blade and spam spells with Bloodmage. The problem is Bloodmage have -15 to all defenses when target is bloodied and you need also to harm yourself to get back the spells + the damage of the megaboss... I don't think I could survive only with exalted endurance and Bloodmage regeneration.

I thought about a solution: using Wall of Draining to increase duration of spells and recast it with blood sacrifice, but with only 1 enemy, the duration didn't increase. Maybe they stack if I cast more than 1 at the same time? The idea is to have all the Wizard Spells active for unlimited time.

With other enemies you can be stand still with Whispers of the Endless Paths and counter all attacks to enemies, because they always miss.

Any clue to make the perfect tank? :)

You can only have 1 wall active at any times. Wall of Draining was an exception but I thought that got fixed at some point...?

There is no perfect tank I guess - it depends on the situation. 

I guess a Herald with all the regneration gear and healing bonuses might be able to passively outheal Dorudugan's attacks if you play smart. He can't stack as much deflection but it's good enough to make the passive healing outheal the incoming damage I believe. Only my guess though - I didn't do too much testing on this. Others ae more proficient here with solo chars vs. megabosses.

You can always try to use the Shroud of the Phantasm in order to trigger Brilliant in combo with Wall of Draining (or Salvation of Time if you pick a Priest instead). 

Also a Tactician/Wizard with Arkemyr's Brilliant Departure will trigger Brilliant against Dorudugan as soon as he goes invisible. Wall of Draining (or Wall of Many Colors) will not break that special invisibility by the way. Again: not that much Deflection (because Refreshing Defense and Llengrath's Safeguard won't stack) but endless resources - but lower PEN and ACC due to solo.

If you need more enemies in order to mak Wall of Draining worthwhile you can use the Belt of Magran's Chosen. It will summon a hostile Flame Blight once in a while (chance on your hits) which can be used to drain durations. Burning lashes do NOT heal Dorudugan (luckily). Only direct burn damage.

Did you check Gipon Prudenso as armor? Afaik it's the one with the potentially highest defense increase (if you don't want to invest heavily in Intimidate for Casita Samelia's). Also Bronlar's Phalanx has a deflection-raising enchantment (if health drops). I don't kno from the top of my head if it outperforms Cadhu Scalth with high Athletic skill - but you wouldn't be bound to athletics then.  

Against Dorudugan you might also want to check Rekvu's Scorched Cloak. Makes Dorus burn attacks heal you. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

1 hour ago, Tetsu said:

You can go up to 269 deflection with other wizard spells (arcane veil, safeward

Arcane Knight can go much higher(don't remember exact number but somewhere 310ish) with Wall of draining and items .  

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

Fighter/wizard with unbending trunk, wall of draining, maxed mig and some healing bonuses could do too. It should outheal any damage if you manage to survive enough time, to build high ticks. Especially unbroken with good ar and wizard buffs. Use magran belt to spawns hostile blight for better WoD. 

Is Draining touch one handed? If it penetrates, could be another good source of healing with grimoire switching exploit. 

Or, if only unbending is enough healing for first phase od the fight, when you build stacks, use voulge for shock dmg.

Edited by Powerotti

Thank you so much guys! You have a lot of ideas that could work.

Nice find with the Magran's Chosen belt! I think it could work to extend WoD duration. Also it could work too with Tactician/Bloodmage or Shroud of the Phantasm to trigger Brilliant Inspiration. I will do more tests with them.

I don't know how you can reach 310 def, I’ve used everything that I know in the game to get to 269, maybe I'm missing something? If you can go to that level, maybe I could other items to increase regeneration or something to increase damage :)

If you want to use draining wall, then just drink potion of the final stand. Its duration is prolonged by the wall. But it's like cheating 😉

32 minutes ago, Tetsu said:

I don't know how you can reach 310 def, I’ve used everything that I know in the game to get to 269, maybe I'm missing something?

Have you checked it on the battle log? Equipment chart doesn't counts buffs, that have conditional influence, like arcane veil.

Is your reputation maxed for faith and conviction?

Which pet do you use?

1 hour ago, Powerotti said:

If you cast draining touch from grimoire and then switch for another, it won't disappear after one hit, if i remember correctly. 

If it's oh weapon, unbroken can use it with shield

Damn! I tested the heck out of that weapon but that I didn't discover. That's awesome. It's the best assassination weapon. :)

Edit: just tested it and it's true. But you have to make sure that you don't take it as ability. It has to be cast from grimoire and the grimoire you switch to shouldn't have it - then it stays after hit or crit (until combat ends). This is so cool... Assassin/Bloodmage incoming! ;) 
Tank with it also sounds nice. Maybe even Steel Garrote 'cause it not only drains (which stacks with Steel Garrote draining) but also weakens on hit. 

Edited by Boeroer

269 deflection:

20 start
57 level
15 paladin
12 res (start with BB)
10 food
7 bracer
7 cape
10 armor (casita)
2 res (neck)
1 res (boots)
2 ring
2 ring
12 shield
10 shield mythic
6 shield (talent)
9 shield (cadhu)
2 eder
10 res (no rest) = 35 total res without Inspiration

5 sword (gladiator)

199 def + 40 Mirrored Image = 239. + 10 veil (doesn't stack)+ 20 safeguard = 269

You can use pet with 2 resolve but you already have 35.

With warrior instead of paladin will be 11 less def (15 paladin passives - 4 superior deflection), with lower armor (+4 gilted enemy) and not unlimited regeneration. 5 def from Warrior stance also doesn't stacks.

How you can reach 310 def? 😛

You can use Entonia Signet Ring to gain +10 (stackable) to all defenses - but only if you get engaged by 5 enemies. So not much use against single boss enemies.

A dagger + modal should give you +10 against melee (at the cost of damage dealt).

Bronlar's Phalanx can give you up to +20 deflection (at 0 health, so usually a bit less ;)).

Instead of RES pets you could use Misty (self) & Comet (Edér) which would lead to +6 deflection against melee. 

Edited by Boeroer

My initial idea was to build an inmortal Arcane Knight with Whispers of the Endless Paths with enough deflection and defenses that all enemies will miss you and you could counter them with the upgrade that gives you +4 def (against melee attacks) and counter attacks that miss you. A good mix about damage/defense but more focused in defense.

With wizard spells I can get up to 231 deflection without a shield for a very limited amount of time (arcane veil): 269 -37(cadhu) -5(gladiator) +4(Whispers)

You don't need stellar deflection to make that work. It also works very well if not every thinkable enemy misses you 100% of times. :) Because you can also use Miasma, Chillfog and stuff to lower enemies accuracy a lot, giving you a lot more "virtual" defense. So - you can easily use an Arcane Knight for that, sure. 

But actually a Paladin/Soulblade is much more fun for this. Borrowed Instincts stacks like Safeguard does (so not as high delfection as an Arcane Knight but still high enough defenses). Psychovampirc gives you Steadfast, Eyestrike lowers enemies ACC, so does Secret Horrors. Offensive Parry will give you focus when it hits and WotEP will apply raw dmg to everyone in the cone if you use it with Soul Annihilation.

Also works well with a Trickster/Soulblade.

Another apporach is to stack stellar defenses against disengagement attacks (e.g. Shattered PillarMonk/Soulblade with Fast Runner, Tumbling and Graceful Retreat, Gipon Prudensco, Boots of Speed etc.). It's easy to reach very high numbers with that - and then disengage intentionally. All of those disegagement attacks will miss and trigger Offensive Parry.

I even played that with a single class bloodmage. The defenses are not as high since you lack the passives of paladin or fighter, but stuff like Piercing Sigil or Cloak of Death make up for this. Also Fleet Feet cn be used for the disengagment approach. It 's fun to dish out melee damage while you are casting spells. :)

Edited by Boeroer

7 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

You can use Entonia Signet Ring to gain +10 (stackable) to all defenses - but only if you get engaged by 5 enemies. So not much use against single boss enemies.

A dagger + modal should give you +10 against melee (at the cost of damage dealt).

Bronlar's Phalanx can give you up to +20 deflection (at 0 health, so usually a bit less ;)).

Instead of RES pets you could use Misty (self) & Comet (Edér) which would lead to +6 deflection against melee. 

I thought about Entonia Ring but is only 1 enemy, but with you idea of the Belt of Magran's Chosen it could be more :)

The problem with dagger is the damage you will deal.

Don't know the mechanics of Bronlar's shield. If you go near death and then go up to full hp the deflection will be again lower than at near death?

How can I use both pets if I'm going solo? Anyway with the Magran's Belt+Entonia Ring + pet I could reach 236 def, almost 239 :)

Just now, Boeroer said:

You don't need stellar deflection to make that work. It also works very well if not every thinkable enemy misses you 100% of times. :) Because you can also use Miasma, Chillfog and stuff to lower enemies accuracy a lot, giving you a lot more "virtual" defense. So - you can easily use an Arcane Knight for that, sure. 

But actually a Paladin/Soulblade is much more fun for this. Borrowed Instincts stacks like Safeguard does (so not as high but still high enough defenses). Psychovampirc gives you Steadfast, Eyestrike lowers enemies ACC, so does Secret Horrors. Offensive Parry will give you focus when it hits and WotEP will apply raw dmg to everyone in the cone if you use it with Soul Annihilation.

Also works well with a Trickster/Soulblade.

Another apporach is to stack stellar defenses against disengagement attacks (e.g. Shattered PillarMonk/Soulblade with Fast Runner, Tumbling and Graceful Retreat, Gipon Prudensco, Boots of Speed etc.). It's easy to reach very high numbers with that - and then disengage intentionally. All of those disegagement attacks will miss and trigger Offensive Parry.

I even played that with a single class bloodmage. The defenses are not as high since you lack the passives of paladin or fighter, but stuff like Piercing Sigil or Cloak of Death make up for this. Also Fleet Feet cn be used for the disengagment approach. It 's fun to dish out melee damage while you are casting spells. :)

Minor chime-in, my cipher mod buffs the otherwise-a-bit-sad Psychovampiric Shield to give +20 Deflection along with Steadfast. The old PoE1 Vamp Shield gave +25 Deflection which definitely made it a real defensive tool. Being +Deflection specifically means it can stack with Borrowed Instincts’s +20 All, although in practice I think it will be challenging trying to keep too many transfer buff/debuffs going at the same time (probably also want Body Attunement too!) while still getting any DPS done. When I publish the mod, I would greatly appreciate playtesting of things like tank/cipher solo builds. Trying to find time to work on it has been challenging lately.

I just wrote down every deflection buff I knew from the top of my head. 

I think Flame Blights don't engage (don't remember) so it might be that they do nothing for Entonia Signet. The ring is based on enemies engaging you, not the other way round.

Yes, deflection of Bronlar's Phalanx will drop as soon as you regain health.

Since every point of deflection has increasing returns the higher deflection of a dagger + modal can be well worth the lower damage (I'd say it's always worth it on a tank). Fights will take longer but it will be be safer. Also as Arcane Knight one might want to use some special spells to deal dmg - like Ninagauth's Death Ray for example.  

I've thought about spells to reduce accuraccy of enemies and for sure I'm using them with lower enemies so I can use better weapons/spells/equipmemt and kill them faster (more fun), but with Megabosses is really hard to hit them with spells, that's the reason because I tried to increase defenses by myself. Wizard can increase deflection by 70 so Soulblade without landing Borrowed Instint or other spells is 70 deflection lower.

5 hours ago, Tetsu said:

I don't know how you can reach 310 def

20 start
57 level
15 paladin

50 escape from cape

50 veil from hood 

25 from max resolve

20 safeguard

6 weapon and shield

8 large shield

10 mythic shield

8 Cadhu bonus

10 armor (casita, furrante or gipon- you can "preload" bonus by hitting yourself with missiles before combat)

15 Duskfall

7 bracers

2+2 rings

305 deflection, memory failed me ,

I don't know how Wizard Double would stack with it (+20??)

with WotEP should be 262? so you can bash some heads while casting

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

Could you stack +50 from cape +50 from hood and +15 from sword because they are items? I thought that buffs from items will be considered as spells, and active spells with same description didn't stack. If you are right, is a really nice find! You only need a way to increase the duration of that buffs for last the entire fight with Dorudugan, maybe with WoD and Magran's Belt as we said, but if you find another way you didn't need to be a wizard because the items by itself gives you enough deflection, maybe Rogue for riposte or as Boeroer said a Soulblade and the build could be a lot more fun to play.

Priest/Tactician can stack Unbending heals with Salvation of Time they will heal for several 1000s per tick eventually, and ofc you could also just indefinitely prolong Barring Death's Door.

Maybe not as stylish as stacking deflection (tho Skaen with +50 from Escape can reach some nice numbers too) but much more effective. ;)

Draining Touch is so nice!! I've just tested it and it hits really hard (targets will). You can use club in the offhand to lower will defense by 25 with modal. Umm... thinking about a Pale Elf Bloodmage vampire build :P. Didn't know yet the best multiclass that could boost Draining Touch to the max. I think fighter could be nice because you can use Clear Out to attack all enemies with Draining Touch and use Mob Stance when killing enemies :). Also you can increase penetration with corrode spells with the wizard talent.

High base damage od draining touch synergizes well with lashes and deathblows. I would use steel garrote (sucking even more hp because of weaken from touch) with eternal devotion or streetfighter, or monk (turning wheel). With monk you also get SF/HBD combo or lightning strikes for more lash and blade turning, that lasts forever when used with wall od draining. Don't forget to cast draconic fury for another lash.