Politics Generations

Amentep

At last the mask slips.  You're all Illuminati.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

14 minutes ago, Malcador said:

At last the mask slips.  You're all Illuminati.

that would be reassuring. am not particular worried 'bout a cabal comprised o' obsidian board regulars. you?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 10/12/2019 at 10:33 AM, 213374U said:

Hello, Hurlshot. Welcome to Internet. Here, there's no middle ground between pull-yourself-up-by-the-bootstraps 100-hour weeks FREEDOM without social benefits and FULL COMMUNISM where the state gives you boatloads of free stuff and lines you against the wall*.

Better even, this thinking seems to be becoming more and more widespread as people are more interested in scoring points than get anywhere in a conversation. There comes a point where you're more likely to get through to the person in front of you with your fists than with words. I think we reached that point cca 2016.

Enjoy your stay!

*not necessarily in that order

Hey I'm a big fan of nuanced and rational analysis but those kind of posts tend to be long. And tedious to write sometimes. Sarcasm is a blunt instrument. Why use a glass cutter to make a nice precise hole when you can just heave a brick through it?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

@Gromnir As you already know I am not terribly worried about the outcome of the next election. Or the next, or next or next for that matter. The worst thing that will happen is one party gets control of both houses of Congress AND the White House. That is bad. But it's also temporary. They will overreach, piss everyone off and lose at least half of Congress. Then the cycle begins again. As long as power is divided we will all sleep more soundly. 

When Barack Obama was elected I WAS worried. I thought we had finally gone and elected a genuine ideologue and revolutionary. Of course he was none of those things. In the end he was an average President. He did not leave the country any better or worse than he found it. He left the Executive Branch with more power than it had and that is a bad thing. But certainly no worse than many of his predecessors and not nearly as bad as some. 

Trump is an aberration. Generally speaking political candidates know the limitations of the Executive Branch. And while they will not bat an eyelash at trying to exceed them they will not be so brazen or corrupting in the process. If you will recall in 2016 I said a possible benefit of a Trump Administration would be for Congress to remember it is a co-equal branch of the government. That much at least has happened if not in the way or to the degree I hoped. I was sure his abuse of tariffs would convince Congress to rescind that power it "loaned" to the Executive back in 1916. I've also been disappointed at the way the GOP has defended Trump. But I guess I should no be. It would be no different if he were a Democrat. The Dems would defend him even if the knew he was wrong. Like I have always said there are naught but villains here. 

My lifestyle and my investment portfolio are, by design, not going to be significantly affected by any political changes in this country. And even if they were in the end I can and will just not obey any law I find morally objectionable. Firearm "buybacks" for example. Not going to comply. If they want them so bad come and take them. If they don't they can pass whatever laws they like. IDGAF. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

5 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Honestly, its a bit hilarious and weird to me.

Random presidential candidate *proposes something*

Gfted1 *enthusiastically endorses said idea*

Some posters *redassbaboon.jpg*

I thought the sarcasm in your posts (and my concurrence) was obvious. Hopefully everyone else did too. 

Thomas Sowell

Obama did campaign on the populist strain somewhat though, that's probably where you got the impression. Nowhere near the same tappage as Trump did, obviously.

Pretty sure we've had genuine ideologue and/or revolutionary (the Founding Fathers aside, though William Henry Harrison was the last President to grow up during the Revolutionary War) Presidents before though, it's just that we have 20/20 hindsight and can thus interpret 'ideologue' and 'revolutionary' in different ways and nuances.

35 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I thought the sarcasm in your posts (and my concurrence) was obvious. Hopefully everyone else did too. 

gd sarcasm would indeed be obvious 'cept for fact you were agreeing with somebody who insists they are serious.

disconnect. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

8 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

gd sarcasm would indeed be obvious 'cept for fact you were agreeing with somebody who insists they are serious.

disconnect. 

HA! Good Fun!

I just figured the insistence was just part of the shtick. 

Thomas Sowell

Just now, Guard Dog said:

I just figured the insistence was just part of the shtick. 

keep in mind, we know you ain't a member o' the lunatic fringe.

"state, "time for them to pay my way," or "i want free stuff" is nothing but a sardonic way o' poking fun o' the folks selling patchouli scented smoke being blown in our faces.  Gromnir sees it and am certain gd does too. others?"

the thing is, every time somebody suggests that the "redassbaboon" is throwing p00p at zoo onlookers, he digs in, becomes offended, and insists he is 100% serious. 

trying to out vol vol? perhaps. doesn't matter.

regardless, only reason we posted was 'cause we knew gd were keeding, and we could tell gd thought he were part o' a joke response rather than serious.  

HA! Good Fun!

29 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Who doesn't want a COLA? Even our military provides one (or at least they did in the 90s).

And I thought you were referring to Cocoa-Cola earlier, given your propensity for sarcasm, I thought you were being silly by talking about Cocoa-Cola.

Edited by smjjames

20 minutes ago, smjjames said:

And I thought you were referring to Cocoa-Cola earlier, given your propensity for sarcasm, I thought you were being silly by talking about Cocoa-Cola.

as good a place as any to remind

AP FACT CHECK: Trump’s false statement on military pay

the fib 'bout trump being the first to provide military personnel with a raise in a decade, often goes hand-in-hand with his lies 'bout VA choice.

Trump Takes ‘VA Choice’ Lie To Next Level With Bonus Lie That McCain Failed To Pass It

but at least trump is (not) building an effectual wall on the southern border.

HA! Good Fun!

7 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

COLA = Cost Of Living Adjustment

At that time, based on your rank and number of dependents, you would get additional monies if you lived off base.

At this time, its blowing minds, and Im the mayor of Crazytown. :lol:

I figured that out when I checked wikipedia after looking at your post, but you saying 'sweet, sweet COLA' earlier kind of threw me off.

• Like 1

More Syria developments, Trump is now ordering most of the ~1,000 troops are being withdrawn (using a plan made back in Feb) primarily to avoid getting caught in the crossfire of opposing armies since the Turks seem to intend to expand further south than thought and the Kurds are trying to get the Russians and the Syrian government to help attack Turkey.

Various sources:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/13/politics/us-troops-syria-turkey/index.html
https://www.axios.com/us-forces-withdrawal-syria-turkish-attack-052a464c-0535-4af1-b25a-704b213afd41.html
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/13/trump-us-troops-northern-syria-turkish-assault-kurds
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50034802

Trump is running the risk of possibly needing to come back into Syria some way or other in the future, but given that Syria is starting to become almost unrecognizable compared to when the civil war started, it'd probably be an even worse clusterbleep the next time around that we have to go back in. Trump even stated that if ISIS resurges, he's willing to go right back in. Plus, it's not likely that the Kurds will ally with us again

The Syrian Army is definitely moving in and has been for a few hours, it's been acknowledged by everyone now (Turks, SDF/ YPG, their civilian leadership and the government itself). What exactly that means for the future is decidedly murky. It's also unclear whether the US withdrawal is a complete one from Syria entirely or if they're just moving back further back from the border as they did last week since Esper (Trump) and rump DoD are saying different things. Their supply route is basically gone though, unless they get transit via Turkey, so remaining would be difficult. They'll likely stay at the Al Tanf border post in southern Syria though, even if it is kind of pointless without also holding the post at Al Bukamal.

Lots of rumours at the moment, including mutually exclusive statements from usually reliable sources. It's unclear whether the Russians are going in too, SAA sources are definitely claiming they're moving in in small numbers (eg 3 vehicles (!) in Manbij- but those were almost certainly already there, under a prior agreement and they would say that Russians were moving in as it would make Turkish attacks less likely). Whether the Turks will actually attack the SAA who knows but their proxies will anyway which is the intrinsic risk of using loon jihadi mercenaries. Reports of a US airstrike on an SAA column (debunked), reports of US troops blocking SAA troops from entering Manbij (unlikely, not enough of them there without SDF backing and they could simply be driven around), Turks are definitely going to attack the Syrian Army, Turks are happy with the SAA deploying...

Looks like the direct clashes between Syria and Turkey have been inevitable for a long time, especially with Turkey trying to do the land grabs around Aleppo. Russia and Iran will likely support Syria to a degree (probably limit overt support from Russia). Turkey seems to want to free the IS fighters, guessing on my part entirely, to re-arm them and sic them on the Kurds. Question is, will Trump aid Turkey militarily against Syria/Russia in such a conflict, especially if the conflict spills over the border into the Turkish side of it? Of course, Trump being the moron he is, I do not doubt that he would happily support Turkey, Saudi Arabia and their IS allies, and claim it was his plan all along for a better and brighter middle-east (regardless of how many billions of dollars he has now wasted trying to suppress IS).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I wonder if the 'safe zone' would qualify as a land grab? After all, they're imposing a 'border' where they think the border should be. I've also read in some places that some people are worried that the conflict might spill into Iraq, though I'm not sure what that would entail, the Turks trying to impose a 'safe zone' in iraq?

re Turkey pulling the US in: I've seen some commentators saying that Turkey might draw the US back into it via NATO obligations or something, but the relationship between the US and Turkey is pretty low right now. I don't think Turkey would be eager to extend a hand to the US and ask for help and Trump would be under pressure to not get involved in wars again from his base, especially in an election year.

Edited by smjjames
  • Like 1