Politics Generations

Amentep

2 hours ago, smjjames said:

Because Obama tried to do the relations reset (as botched as it was), which isn't exactly behavior of someone 'basically restarting the cold war'. Maybe I should have said the whole thing rather than the part I did say.

I'm not sure what you think the "reset" accomplished or was meant to accomplish beyond selling domestically the idea that Obama was a fantastic statesman. You don't get to wipe the slate clean in international relations by just saying so. Especially when you keep doing exactly the same things you have been doing that led to strained relations in the first place.

As for Russia invading Crimea, yeah, terrible. I think the US could learn a thing or two, though.

Edited by 213374U
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

4 hours ago, 213374U said:

I'm not sure what you think the "reset" accomplished or was meant to accomplish beyond selling domestically the idea that Obama was a fantastic statesman. You don't get to wipe the slate clean in international relations by just saying so. Especially when you keep doing exactly the same things you have been doing that led to strained relations in the first place.

Potentially meant to accomplish is easy enough: contain China. China was clearly the coming rival, and she's way easier to contain if Russia isn't pushed into her pocket by antipathy to the west.

I'd suspect Obama himself at least was actually genuine about wanting a better relationship- a reset doesn't work for establishing statesmanship credentials if it fails spectacularly, rather the reverse- but yeah, the foreign policy aims of the US and Russia are fundamentally too different and incompatible. Managing to write 'overload' in Russian instead of 'reset' on your big cartoon button gift was hardly a good start either, whether deliberate sabotage or not.

http://news.trust.org/item/20191002165718-bqnd4

Oh why does no one ever try to enviro-shame me? It's been far to long since someone has given me cause to look them in the eye and tell them to go f--k themselves! 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Canadian election sure has boring events.  One of the candidates here is a dual US and Canadian citizen, would be a non issue but he's apparently found that a problem with others.  So far, Canadian politicians seem to be hypocrites...which, is sort of a requirement for the job,no ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

14 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Canadian election sure has boring events.  One of the candidates here is a dual US and Canadian citizen, would be a non issue but he's apparently found that a problem with others.  So far, Canadian politicians seem to be hypocrites...which, is sort of a requirement for the job,no ?

I'd imagine there'd be some embarrassment involved at this point, or is it a nationalism thing?

47 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Oh why does no one ever try to enviro-shame me? It's been far to long since someone has given me cause to look them in the eye and tell them to go f--k themselves! 

You're a polluter with those um.. farting horses! yeah, farting horses.

lol

59 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

You just bought a solar food dryer. You might be the biggest environmentalist on this forum. :p

19 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

You just bought a solar food dryer. You might be the biggest environmentalist on this forum. :p

hard liquor production has a significant carbon footprint. just sayin.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Read about this in a Norwegian newspaper. A Norwegian traveled to the US to surprise his American father-in law on his birthday. He knocked on the door, and jumped out of a bush doing growling sounds to scare/surprise him when the door was opened. The father-in-law was scared, and reacted by firing a bullet in his chest. No charges necessary, according to the Sheriff.

What a ridiculous way to go, and a horrible accident...but still. Some notable lawyers over here think it's quite weird that the sheriff felt no charge was warranted.

In any case, two possible lessons from this. 1. Don't do jumpscares, you never know how people will react. 2. ESPECIALLY don't do jumpscares in the US.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/florida-man-accidentally-shoots-kills-son-law-surprise/story?id=66031955

Edit: Apparently the shooter thought the "banging" noises on the door was from a relative he had gotten into an argument with earlier the same day. Then it's especially weird that he wasn't charged with manslaughter? He admitted he thought it was a relative, and still carried, and fired his gun in response? Must've been some argument...

Edited by Maedhros

Trump blathering on about how he cares about corruption and nepotism is pretty good comedy.  

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

12 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Read about this in a Norwegian newspaper. A Norwegian traveled to the US to surprise his American father-in law on his birthday. He knocked on the door, and jumped out of a bush doing growling sounds to scare/surprise him when the door was opened. The father-in-law was scared, and reacted by firing a bullet in his chest. No charges necessary, according to the Sheriff.

What a ridiculous way to go, and a horrible accident...but still. Some notable lawyers over here think it's quite weird that the sheriff felt no charge was warranted.

In any case, two possible lessons from this. 1. Don't do jumpscares, you never know how people will react. 2. ESPECIALLY don't do jumpscares in the US.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/florida-man-accidentally-shoots-kills-son-law-surprise/story?id=66031955

I'm curious as to what and who notable lawyers thought should have been charged with something. Also, you (and the notable Norwegian lawyers) may or may not realize that Florida has the 'stand your ground' law, which is likely partially why no charges were brought. Still, it sounds like a horrible accidemt that would almost deserve a Darwin award.

edit: The guy was certainly unaware of the confrontation the father in law had with another relative earlier that night.

Edited by smjjames

1 minute ago, Gfted1 said:

Sounds like BS. Who answers the door with a gun in their hand ready to fire the second the dude jumped out of the bush?

People in Florida.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Sounds like BS. Who answers the door with a gun in their hand ready to fire the second the dude jumped out of the bush?

If you read the article, the guy had a confrontation with other relatives earlier that night and the banging was at the back door, where you wouldn't really expect visitors to be.

13 minutes ago, smjjames said:

I'm curious as to what and who notable lawyers thought should have been charged with something. Also, you (and the notable Norwegian lawyers) may or may not realize that Florida has the 'stand your ground' law, which is likely partially why no charges were brought. Still, it sounds like a horrible accidemt that would almost deserve a Darwin award.

edit: The guy was certainly unaware of the confrontation the father in law had with another relative earlier that night.

Notable as in "gets a lot of attention" more than "remarkable" in this case. Anyway, to quote diractly from the Norwegian article (with terrible google translation):

Attorney Brynjar Meling responds strongly that the case was dismissed so quickly.

- This is just proof that wild west conditions still exist in the United States. In Norway and European legal tradition it is quite clear that this 
would be investigated and not immediately concluded in the way the sheriff does. Based on the information available in the media, it took a 
lot for this not to be considered murder, and in any case it must be clearly negligent to act like that with a weapon. The course of events 
earlier in the day does not exactly strengthen the case of the father-in-law, he tells NRK.
Edited by Maedhros

4 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Seems strange to think Norway would criticize the US about not locking the guy up. Isn't the US typically criticized for the crazy amount of people we put away?

Haha, I don't think "Norway" is critizising the US, more like some Norwegian lawyers commented on it, and found it a bit strange that they did no investigation. Killing someone (whether an accident or not) is pretty serious stuff. And since it was a Norwegian citizen that died, it gets extra attention over here

You get criticized for locking up a crazy amount of people for minor crimes, as far as I know. If you're found guilty of manslaughter, that's hardly comparable!

Edited by Maedhros
  • Like 1

Shame we never got a Snake Plissken movie set there.  Escape from Orlando or something

Edited by Malcador