Politics Generations

Amentep

I am very interested to see how the rights of a whistle blower can be undermined by Trump, I see he is demanding to know the identity. I dont think he will win this one o:) 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Maedhros said:

Bernie Sanders hospitalized after chest pains. Was found to have a blockage in an artery - two stents were succesfully inserted and he's now resting for a few days.

So that's game over for him, in other words.

I hope he is okay but yes its best on several reasons he pulls out the Democratic race and his supporters start endorsing Biden as the only realistic candidate to take on Trump in 2020 

• Confused 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Are foreign national "whistleblowers" :lol: protected by US "whistleblower" :lol: laws?

I doubt it, whistleblower laws are specific to each country 

John Milton 

8 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

I hope he is okay but yes its best on several reasons he pulls out the Democratic race and his supporters start endorsing Biden as the only realistic candidate to take on Trump in 2020 

Why is that true for Biden?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

1 minute ago, Pidesco said:

Why is that true for Biden?

Its simple, he is not an extreme  left Democratic candidate and he can resonate with independent voters 

Its unlikely an candidate talking about things like  " free Medicare for all "  and  " no prosecution/deporting "  for illegal immigration would somehow undermine the powerful Trump populism and tribal rhetoric and win in 2020...Trump will tear them to pieces 

John Milton 

In duller set of political news

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/02/trump-hotel-empty-rooms-016763

House investigators are looking into an allegation that groups — including at least one foreign government — tried to ingratiate themselves to President Donald Trump by booking rooms at his hotels but never staying in them.

It’s a previously unreported part of a broad examination by the House Oversight Committee, included in Democrats’ impeachment inquiry, into whether Trump broke the law by accepting money from U.S. or foreign governments at his properties.

Story Continued Below
“Now we’re looking at near raw bribery,” said Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.), a House Oversight Committee member who chairs the subcommittee with jurisdiction over Trump’s hotel in Washington. “That was the risk from Day One: foreign governments and others trying to seek favor because we know Trump pays attention to this. ... It’s an obvious attempt to curry favor with him.”

Story Continued Below
The investigation began after the committee received information that two entities — a trade association and a foreign government — booked a large quantity of rooms but used only a fraction of them, according to a person familiar with the allegation who isn't authorized to speak for the committee.

The emoluments clause of the Constitution forbids a president from profiting from foreign governments or receiving any money from the U.S. government except his or her annual salary.

3 hours ago, Volourn said:

"It's not like Trump ever tried to abide by the law or any rules. Why should anyone dealing with him be expected to do so? "

So, according to you, there should be no trials for any accused since  criminals (or accused) tend not to abide by the law or rules. So, there should be no trial, no lawyers, no nothing. The moment youa re accused of something execution is in order. No questions asked. L0L

gonna go out on a limb and suggest gorth were keeding.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Elerond said:

In duller set of political news

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/02/trump-hotel-empty-rooms-016763

House investigators are looking into an allegation that groups — including at least one foreign government — tried to ingratiate themselves to President Donald Trump by booking rooms at his hotels but never staying in them.

It’s a previously unreported part of a broad examination by the House Oversight Committee, included in Democrats’ impeachment inquiry, into whether Trump broke the law by accepting money from U.S. or foreign governments at his properties.

Story Continued Below
“Now we’re looking at near raw bribery,” said Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.), a House Oversight Committee member who chairs the subcommittee with jurisdiction over Trump’s hotel in Washington. “That was the risk from Day One: foreign governments and others trying to seek favor because we know Trump pays attention to this. ... It’s an obvious attempt to curry favor with him.”

Story Continued Below
The investigation began after the committee received information that two entities — a trade association and a foreign government — booked a large quantity of rooms but used only a fraction of them, according to a person familiar with the allegation who isn't authorized to speak for the committee.

The emoluments clause of the Constitution forbids a president from profiting from foreign governments or receiving any money from the U.S. government except his or her annual salary.

I dunno, Trump seems like the person who would get pissed off at booking but not using, if he ever found out about that. Still, it's EXACTLY the type of emoluments violations that would constitute corruption and the kind of thing people were concerned about with Trump not divesting his businesses. I know the founders were actually thinking of stuff like gifts from kings and whatever, but it probably needs to be updated and clarified.

10 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Trump seems like the person who would get pissed off at booking but not using, if he ever found out about that.

Why ? He got paid already, no ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

8 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Yeah, but you have to think in terms of his narcissistic personality, not to mention that they didn't use any of the services and if it happens in big enough numbers, could actually start hurting business.

*doublepost because the forum doesn't show the thread as updated when the latest post has been edited*

Also, I've gotta sympathize with Finland, it has to be embarrassing to have their President be in the room while that press conference devolved into an absolute farce.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/464088-reporter-asks-finnish-president-what-favors-trump-has-asked-for

Oof, that's gonna get asked of every leader that visits isn't it?

Edited by smjjames

17 minutes ago, Malcador said:

No room service/ food/ minibar/ internet/ phone ins/ on demand movies etc. Which unlike the room itself are almost pure profit. You're already paying for the cleaning staff and laundry services in bulk anyway and that's the only negative of a room being occupied.

Someone booking a room and not using it is only good if the room was not going to be used, otherwise he'd usually get more profit from a real person.

hotel rooms is, for the most part, fungible. precluding full occupancy or penthouse suite situations, pay for an unoccupied room is gonna be a boon for the hotel owner. bob shows up at front desk and wants room 2112 and only 2112. will not stay at the hotel unless he gets 2112? possible. unlikely. 2114 or 3112 will likely be just fine for most bobs... and considering how business has been down at many trump owned properties...

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

22 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

No room service/ food/ minibar/ internet/ phone ins/ on demand movies etc. Which unlike the room itself are almost pure profit. You're already paying for the cleaning staff and laundry services in bulk anyway and that's the only negative of a room being occupied.

Someone booking a room and not using it is only good if the room was not going to be used, otherwise he'd usually get more profit from a real person.

While it's reasonable to expect a few in any given year (or month for large hotels) since plans can change and people forget to cancel it; I assume that most hotels have procedures to free up rooms that are booked but not occupied after a certain period of time because while I assume that they can certainly take into account the few random ones that do happen, anything more than a handful is going to cause problems for the hotels.

ehh, massive runon sentence that I'm not sure where to split it.

Edited by smjjames

6 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

hotel rooms is, for the most part, fungible. precluding full occupancy or penthouse suite situations, pay for an unoccupied room is gonna be a boon for the hotel owner. bob shows up at front desk and wants room 2112 and only 2112. will not stay at the hotel unless he gets 2112? possible. unlikely. 2114 or 3112 will likely be just fine for most bobs... and considering how business has been down at many trump owned properties...

HA! Good Fun!

I'd imagine renting an unoccupied room and using it and renting an unoccupied room and not using it would be totally separate things financially for the hotel owner though.

edit: Could have inserted that into my previous post, but eh well.

Edited by smjjames

Just now, smjjames said:

I'd imagine renting an unoccupied room and using it and renting an unoccupied room and not using it would be totally separate things financially for the hotel owner though.

so?

compare individual benefits o' occupied v. unoccupied-but-nevertheless-paid-for ignores fact is better to have more rooms being rented as 'posed to less.

again, full occupancy and non-fungible rooms is gonna be factors, but rare is hotels, particular trump hotels these last couple years, full booked.

HA! Good Fun! 

45 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Well I've a suspicion that they're overpaying a good amount for the rooms.  Probably baseless, but it's what I would try to see have done.  Can't really see him caring much about that ego-wise, granted in the situation where it is not public.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The article does state 'a large quantity of rooms' without specifying the exact numbers. However, if we continue this tangent, without knowing details like how many rooms the hotel has, how many days they were rented for, how much was paid, etc, we can't even begin to figure out whether it would end up being a net loss or whatever.

I can imagine situations that might look similar like booking for some conference and plans change and they somehow forget to unbook, but without plausible and credible explainations like that (though even my explaination sounds barely credible since it'd be quite the financial screwup), it looks pretty odd, especially taken into context Trump.

The inspector general offering ‘urgent’ Ukraine briefing called out politicization of Trump’s State Department this summer

different ig from whistleblower complaint ig.

alternative link

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/state-dept-inspector-general-expected-urgent-ukraine-briefing/story?id=65991911

have no idea what this is 'bout but is newsworthy and hardly typical.

HA! Good Fun!

ps am not gonna bother to discuss the "stable genius" presser. 

Edited by Gromnir
ps

From what that one congressman said, sounded like those at the briefing (or maybe just that one congressman) were a little confused too, I think.

Anyways, The Guardian has some info. Basically it's about, or at least in part, potential political retaliation against career officials over Ukraine.

And yes, that presser with the Finnish President was a clusterbleep all right.

Edited by smjjames

1 minute ago, Malcador said:

try and figure out juries, we dare you.  the jury, for all intents and purposes, didn't believe the cop's excuse that she were in her own apartment. a ten-year sentence seems kinda anemic if you are convinced the off-duty cop's actions weren't the result o' accident or mistake.

HA! Good Fun!