Backup drive needed

Lexx

Oi fellow Obsidianites, 

I'm working with large files (~8gb) and I need a place to backup them daily. Thought about an external drive, but I'm unsure what to go for here. It needs fast reading / writing speed and it shouldn't get too hot when files get copied (had that issue with an old external hdd.. the hotter it got, the slower the data transfer.. impossible to work with).

Something about 500gb should cover my needs for now. Best would be if I could simply hook it behind my router as well, so that others could access it via internet connection.

Anyone got ideas?

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

If it's mission critical I'd at least get a 2-bay off-the-shelf NAS. QNAP or Synology products are the most common recommendations I see.

If you're willing to get a bit more hands-on, you can build your own NAS of course, and it'd be cost effective if you had an old PC lying around to repurpose with the further advantage of being able to fit many more drives in future.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

What kind of connections do you have? If speed is a priority and you have a thunderbolt connection then I can recommend the Samsung Portable SSD X5. I have the 500GB variant and that drive is blazing fast, faster than most internal drives. It gets pretty warm when heavily used but not crazy hot and I've never noticed the temp impact performance.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 9/26/2019 at 11:23 AM, Humanoid said:

If it's mission critical I'd at least get a 2-bay off-the-shelf NAS. QNAP or Synology products are the most common recommendations I see.

If you're willing to get a bit more hands-on, you can build your own NAS of course, and it'd be cost effective if you had an old PC lying around to repurpose with the further advantage of being able to fit many more drives in future.

Depending on your needs the supported file systems are also something to look at, modern Synology products supports Btrfs which can protect your files against corruption, the only other file system with that functionality is zfs, as far as I'm aware.