Obsidian now works for Microsoft and Xbox, so let's crap all over on Microsoft and Xbox

ktchong

The #1 trending video on YouTube at the time this is posted.

So, does Xbox really suck? I dunno... I am primarily a PC gamer. I finally bought my very first Playstation last year - a PS4, because I really wanted to play Horizon: Zero Dawn, the Uncharted series, The Last of Us, Spider-man, God of War. All those titles were - and still are - Playstation exclusives that are NOT available on the PC, so I can't play any of them on the PC. As for Xbox One... I don't see any reason to own one when I can just play almost all of its best titles on the PC. What's the point of even buying an Xbox One? So, I can't speak for sure or from personal experience if Xbox One really sucks.

But, who knows, maybe Obsidian will finally make a really good true exclusive for the next Xbox, a real exclusive that is not available on the PC so I will finally have a reason to consider buying an Xbox, something huge like Mass Effect was for Xbox 360 (although Xbox lost the Mass Effect exclusivity) and Horizon: Zero Dawn is for PS4.  Otherwise... don't bother (with any Xbox.) 

It's like, Microsoft has completely given up and is not even trying anymore. 

Edited by ktchong

I own a PS4 and Switch, and barely play those things. Only really go on PC.

Never owned a Microsoft console, the games have never been of interest to me. The ones I did like KOTOR etc, came out on PC so... why bother with an XBOX? 0 interest at all in Halo. 

nowt

I never owned a console. I can’t think of a Microsoft game which I would want to play, while there are quite a few games on Sony and Nintendo platforms which I would be happy to dip into. Just recently was finally able to play The Journey via Epic. Lovely little title. 

When it comes to games, Microsoft’s  record isn’t great. Let’s just hope their recent purchases show an intent to change. 

Never owned a console, never been good playing most things with controllers either (might be some correlation there) and MS thankfully releases through the Windows Store as well so the few games I care about (aka Forza) I can get that way as well nowadays.

Even better now that some things have been coming to Steam as well, because, honestly, the Windows Store isn't exactly good.

Can we get a tl;dr?  Considering the huge pile of money Microsoft is investing into their first-party portfolio, I'm not sure what's forming the basis of any "Microsoft just doesn't care" hypothesis.

They've already acknowledged that this round of the console war didn't favor the Xbox, and are devoting a ton of resources into the next generation of gaming systems.

I am not even sure what's the point OP is trying to make. Sony successfully twisted their arm into buying their junk because their exclusive games are simply too good to pass up, and since MS doesn't do that... they "don't care"? We don't know. He doesn't know, or care. So, again... the point?

I never click on ktchong's videos, so it's possible the clip talks about something else entirely, but it still seems rather out of left field.

After recovering from my initial confusion reading the post, this immediately came to mind:

L82zaVx.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

In terms of cutting edge analysis all you really need to know is that he's forgotten the XBone exists and refers to the 360 being inferior to the PS4 all the time, when the 360 hasn't been sold in years.

(and yeah, it's probably deliberate since making controversial posts with mistakes in doubles down on people who reflexively respond both in terms to console wars/ PC masterrace and those who reflexively have to correct others; though the latter is pointless since there definitively aren't any reflexive correctors here at all, not a single one)

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

In terms of cutting edge analysis all you really need to know is that he's forgotten the XBone exists and refers to the 360 being inferior to the PS4 all the time, when the 360 hasn't been sold in years.

(and yeah, it's probably deliberate since making controversial posts with mistakes in doubles down on people who reflexively respond both in terms to console wars/ PC masterrace and those who reflexively have to correct others; though the latter is pointless since there definitively aren't any reflexive correctors here at all, not a single one)

Sorry, Xbox One, not Xbox 360.

Just goes to show ya how much I don't care for Xbox... couldn't even remember the latest Xbox is One, not 360.

Well every company has their own philosophy to operate their business.  

Xbox was never considered a bread & butter stuff for Microsoft and will not be for them as they have lots of other accounts but currently we have seen that they are investing money in their GAME developing department either buying or opening new Studios.

There are many friends saying I can play Microsoft game on PC, mate you are wrong you can only play these games on XBOX and WINDOWS, both are Microsoft platform.  Microsoft doesn't care either you play on XBOX or on WINDOWS as long as your preferred platform is owned by MS.

This is why they introduce play any where, game pass ultimate and Xcloud, the way they operate it never looked that they consider Sony & Nintendo as their competitor but want to be in GAME business through different points. 

What both Microsoft and Sony "sell" is a walled garden, the hardware is usually sold at break even. Moreover modern consoles are basically purpose built PCs with a custom OS (not unlike a Macintosh, really), so difficulty in porting is mostly a thing because it benefits console makers.

Meaning that if you ignore the hardware what MS and Sony do isn't particularly much different from what Epic is doing. People just accept it because consoles used to be purpose built devices with custom hardware, so the segmentation was somewhat justified. This hasn't really been the case for Xbox and PS for a while now but they've successfully managed to maintain that perception with the general public.

EDIT: and I purposefully don't mention Nintendo because, afaict they still actually do build "real" consoles.

Edited by marelooke