There's nothing, then a glimmer... Then you're dead!

Build Name : The Glimmer Man

Class : Swashbuckler (Fighter/Rogue)

Subclasses : Tactician/Assassin

Introduction : Pure sniper build using the interraction between invisibility and Brilliant Tactician. Firearms ensure that you can use Smoke Veil instantly and avoid any damage. If you don't play with Berath's challenge activated then Smoke Veil will just end the fight - use it at max range, run out of the enemy's sight, then  restealth and come back to finish the target. The build starts working as soon as you get Smoke Veil.

Game Version : 5.0

Difficulty : PotD

Solo : Yes (or keep your party out of the fights)

Race : Island Aumaua

Culture : The Living Lands

Background : Scientist

Attributes : 21Mig/3Con/15Dex/18Per/18Int/3Res

Skills : max Arcana (for Spearcaster - required for Dorudugan)

Equipment : weapon - Dragon's Dowry (Eccea's Arcane Blaster vs pierce immunes), helmet - Acina's Tricorn, necklace - Charm of Bones, armor - High Harbinger's Robes, cloak - Ajamuut's Stalking Cloak, gloves - Woedica's Strangling Grasp/Gloves of the Dungeon Warden/Killer's Gloves, Ring1 - Ring of the Marksman, Ring2 - Ring of Focused Flame, Belt - Sash of Judgment, Boots - Footprints of Ahu Taka

Abilities (required) : Disciplined Barrage - Disciplined Strikes+Escape, Backstab, Smoke Veil, Dirty Fighting, Fighter Stances - Conquerer Stances, Penetrating Strike, Fast Runner, Arms Bearer, Confident Aim, Two-Handed Style, One-Handed Style, Weapon Specialization, Quick Switch, Fearless, Armored Grace, Uncanny Luck, Tough, Improved Critical, Unbreakable, Weapon Mastery

Temporary Bonuses : Sharksoup, Nature's Resolve, Alchemic Brawn, Alchemic Guile, Alchemic Wits, Adratic Glow, Rabyuna's Boon

Other Recommended Abilities : Gift of the Machine, Effigy's Resentment: Sagani, Savage Cunning, Infamous Captain, Cauldron Brew - Might

Pet : Harley (10%dmg/3acc ranged)

How it works : Invisibility + Brilliant Tactician

Observations : 

Persistent Distraction doesn't work with ranged. Deep Wounds (and all dots) will keep you in combat preventing Brilliant Tactician from triggering. Deathblows could work in theory (use sparcrackers) but in practice is not worth the effort. 

Belt of Magran's Chosen is good too, but the blight it summons can prevent Brilliant Tactician from triggering, making you waste more time.

Sometimes enemies get stuck in a loop preventing the combat from ending - staying out of their sight and becoming invisible again will usually fix it.

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 5

Ha - clever! Very safe and laid-back solo approach. :)

One thing though: the combo of Smoke Veil + Brilliant Tactician doesn't do anything for you if you end the fight with Smoke Veil, correct? In that case your resource pools should get a reset.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

7 minutes ago, Enoch said:

Why Armored Grace?  You've got the character in Robes, so it would have zero effect, right?  Or do you recommend armoring up for certain fights such that it would be helpful?

During boss fights you start to feel the self damage from Dragon's Dowry and I was thinking about using Devil of Caroc's Breastplate/Fleshmender to have some passive self healing instead of potions. But you're right, for the base setup is not needed.

24 minutes ago, 3x0du5 said:

I am missing something how do you trigger brilliant without boss getting flanked ?

This is a weird hacky corner case. The exact implementation of Tactician is that no allies are flanked, and all enemies are flanked. But if you de-aggro via invisibility, the number of enemies goes to zero, and every one of those zero enemies are flanked! QED!

• Haha 1

If the enemies lose aggro they're not considered in combat anymore. While invisible (or out of their sight) nobody flanks you and there are no enemies (in combat) left unflanked either. ;) For the same reason Brilliant Tactician triggers at the end of the combat, when all enemies are dead.

17 hours ago, 3x0du5 said:

I guess just usual obsidian error anyway you should do ultimate like this and get yourself on that board 😄

It would be a nice build for the Ultimate - if one could somehow cut Hylea's Challenge out of it. ;)

And Abydon's, too...

Edited by Boeroer

Abydon is not a problem - when you're using abilities the weapons don't degrade. Vela is probably manageable if you withdraw her out of the enemies sight (you can also use Out of Fire to move her to a safer spot).

The big problem is Hauani O Whe because it seems the Essence Interrupter isn't reliable to prevent the splitting...

• Like 1

Super cool build/concept. How does it work vs large groups especially OP ones like the Fampyrs/ghouls before you enter Splintered Reef castle, or the Fampyr Cave, of the Sea-lashed Crypt?  Is it always shoot, retreat, stealth, repeat for these big groups?  And what about space-limited areas like Sissak nest?

And how did you tackle the ultra-boss with the obelisks? 

Thanks!

3 hours ago, brasilgringo said:

Super cool build/concept. How does it work vs large groups especially OP ones like the Fampyrs/ghouls before you enter Splintered Reef castle, or the Fampyr Cave, of the Sea-lashed Crypt?  Is it always shoot, retreat, stealth, repeat for these big groups?  And what about space-limited areas like Sissak nest?

And how did you tackle the ultra-boss with the obelisks? 

Thanks!

I didn't test everything, but as long as you can find a spot out of the enemies sight you will be able to restealth and repeat the procedure until you kill all of them. 

The Splintered Reef is however more tricky because there are many enemies immune to pierce. If you play in normal mode you can use repeatedly Thunderous Report from Kitchen Stove. With Berath's challenge activated you will need the Hand Mortar or the Arcane Blaster to kill them.

Auranic is no different, however it will take a little bit to destroy the obelisks because you have to use the Arcane Blaster vs them. The only dangerous obelisk is the terror one, but the Fearless ability will ensure you will be affected by fear at best which won't prevent you from using Smoke Veil.

The most tedious is Belranga because if you kill the spiders without her seeing you she doesn't get angry and her defenses won't go down. Each time you shoot her the spiders have to check near her and they become stuck from time to time preventing the combat from ending and you have to use Smoke Veil again. Of course you have always the possibility to use Gouging Strike + Lover's Kiss on her, then wait until she's dead...

Like I said previously, only Hauani can't be killed reliably because destroying it won't prevent the split every time.

• Like 1

Updates:

1.  After more testing it seems that dots don't prevent Brilliant Tactician from triggering, thus Deep Wounds and Gouging Strike become important additions to the build.

2. Lover's Embrace + No Quarter (Rakhan Field Boots) become a nice combo to use at the start of a fight to apply an infinite bleed to a powerful enemy (if you switch the weapon after applying the dot the damage of the dot will be cut in half  however 😕)

3. Another good ability to use at the start of a fight Thunderous Report from Kitchen's Stove - it can severely damage/kill multiple enemies.

PS. Can't edit the initial post anymore :(

Edited by Kaylon

Did you know that the pet Harley (+10% dmg to ranged attacks) applies to the dmg of True Love's Kiss? I just found out 2 minutes ago. I now wonder if it gets influenced by other stuff that is not straightforward. 

Edit: Gouging Strike as well. I think it's because I moved away from the target and am now "at range" while my DoTs still work. This needs further investigation I think...

Edit2: it seems all DoTs get the bonus from Harley. Sweet somehow...

Edited by Boeroer

13 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Did you know that the pet Harley (+10% dmg to ranged attacks) applies to the dmg of True Love's Kiss? I just found out 2 minutes ago. I now wonder if it gets influenced by other stuff that is not straightforward. 

Edit: Gouging Strike as well. I think it's because I moved away from the target and am now "at range" while my DoTs still work. This needs further investigation I think...

Yes, I discovered it also a few days ago. Also if you stay invisible all the time the damage of Gouging Strike is increased - I suppose the sneak attack bonus is also applied (besides of Ajamuut's Cloak bonus).

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Not sure I understand. Does the 10% dmg get added once your character is a certain range away from the enemy experiencing the DoT, or does the bonus apply to all DoTs unconditionally for some reason?

7 minutes ago, Jayd said:

Not sure I understand. Does the 10% dmg get added once your character is a certain range away from the enemy experiencing the DoT, or does the bonus apply to all DoTs unconditionally for some reason?

It applies unconditionally.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kaylon said:

It applies unconditionally.

Indeed. First I thought the logic was that you have to go away a bit - but it just always works no matter what.

At least with True Love's Kiss and all of the Rogue's DoTs (Gouging Strike and so on). I did not try Druid's or Wizard's DoT spells, Brand Enemy etc. 

I mean it's cool - but on the other hand it's "only" 10% - so not gamebreakingly good. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

@Kaylon @Boeroer

Turns out Harley's damage bonus applies to every single damaging spell I have on this Druid: Insect Swarm, Maggots, Plague, Relentless, Nature's Terror, and Venombloom. The bonus shows up right in the tooltip. They also get +5 accuracy from Acina's Tricorn. 

Funny enough, I don't see the damage bonus listed on Scordeo's Trophy. Can you confirm that it actually effects ranged weapons like it says? I also don't see the +3 to accuracy anywhere (neither spells nor weapons).

• Like 1

Yes, Shootist and Harley's damage bonus work with any ranged attack, spells included.  The accuracy bonus works only for weapons.

6 hours ago, Jayd said:

Funny enough, I don't see the damage bonus listed on Scordeo's Trophy. Can you confirm that it actually effects ranged weapons like it says? I also don't see the +3 to accuracy anywhere (neither spells nor weapons).

You should look on your character accuracy/damage with Scordeo equiped, not on the weapon's description.

PS. The Sky Dragon Wurm pet gives accuracy against all distant enemies (works with spells too), but the damage bonus affects only ranged weapons.

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 1