What was the reason behind removing the ship upgrade from Neketaka and placing the materials for it in random locations, such as lich's cave? The critical path was perfectly fine and adequately long before the last update.

Is there a way to rollback to v.4.1.2 on Steam (I see this version available on GOG)?

So people won’t complain that game has no content, while not visiting majority of of games locations. That way player either has to engage with the faction or explore for the hull. I believe you can buy the hull itself in the undead isle. 

I,don’t think steam stores old builds, like gog does. 

You now have to search and loot the blackwood logs in order to craft the hull yourself I think. The reason might be that this is more interesting and rewarding. Maybe this was the plan right from the begnning but wasn't done due to time contraints. No idea. There are other nice hull option that you still can simply buy - for example the Red Dream in Dunnage.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The value and the way to obtain the hull became less obvious. I rarely use food/potions crafting and this menu is the only place that mentions it.

I suppose, it does make the ally-free completionist playthrough more rewarding, though.

Edit.

3 hours ago, Boeroer said:

You now have to search and loot the blackwood logs in order to craft the hull yourself I think.

I did not "search" for the logs, I just looted (almost) everything. Hence the comment that the locations seemed a bit random.

3 hours ago, Wormerine said:

So people won’t complain that game has no content, while not visiting majority of of games locations.

I'm surprised that anyone would complain that PoEII lacks content - Neketaka alone takes days to explore.

3 hours ago, Wormerine said:

I believe you can buy the hull itself in the undead isle.

The Dragonwing sails are there, not the hull.

Edited by Hawke64

There were plenty of complaints about it from people who considered “crit path” the only content worth doing: so port Maje-Neketaka-Hasongo-Ashen Maw-Ondra’s Mortar. It is beyond my comprehension but there were plenty of complaints who dismissed everything else as “side content”, and therefore not worth doing. 

from patch notes:

• Anarchist Path - Changes have been added to the Anarchist path to allow for more of the game to be experienced before the player can attempt to finish the game.

Not the most elegant solution, but one has to protect players from themselves. 

11 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

There were plenty of complaints about it from people who considered “crit path” the only content worth doing: so port Maje-Neketaka-Hasongo-Ashen Maw-Ondra’s Mortar. It is beyond my comprehension but there were plenty of complaints who dismissed everything else as “side content”, and therefore not worth doing. 

from patch notes:

I see. Thank you for the information.

• 6 months later...
On 9/14/2019 at 11:49 PM, Hawke64 said:

What was the reason behind removing the ship upgrade from Neketaka and placing the materials for it in random locations, such as lich's cave? The critical path was perfectly fine and adequately long before the last update.

Is there a way to rollback to v.4.1.2 on Steam (I see this version available on GOG)?

What ? I bought this to the harbor master in my first game (1.03), i even asked in the game why we should spend 51200 to craft it instead of buying it with the discount ...
May be this upgrade is present only in the last act of the game, when you side with a faction (i sided with Huanas)...

Edited by fced

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

I bought it at Neketaka during my first, second (completionist) and third (critical path only) playthroughs, as well. The hull turned into 5 logs in the last, "Ultimate", update, regardless of the act.

On the bright side, I purchased another copy of the game on GOG to be able to roll this ..most undesirable change back in my next playthrough, if I ever decide to replay PoEII (not impossible, but unlikely, considering the game's length - 80-100 hours).