Map does not close, merely turns a bit darker

lampahöjd

Question

Hi, I am an early backer and have been playing as time allows since release on Linux, Solus 4. Never had an issue until this morning when I could not close the map anymore. This effectively prevents me from playing. (Last time I played was perhaps a month ago when everything was working)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start a game or load any save
  2. hit 'M' on the keyboard or click the map icon to show the full screen map
  3. Hit 'M' again or press the x in the top right corner to close the map

Expected result: Map is closed, my party and its surroundings are visible again

Actual result: Map becomes a bit darker but doesn't disappear. Impossible to play the game if I can't see what's happening. If I subsequently open the main menu and try to close it it also sticks on the screen. (It doesn't if I don't first open and try to close the map)

• There is no "output_log.txt" in the steamapps/common/pillars2/pillars2_data folder
  • I've verified the integrity of the local files in Steam, no issues found

Sysspecs: RX580, mesa driver (it's default)

i7 6700

16GB RAM

Linux - Solus

No mods to Pillars 2

Edited by lampahöjd
tags, mention that no mods

2 answers to this question

I am also experiencing this with the addition of it also applying when opening the menu/inventory and trying to return to the game. This is happening on a Vega 64, with the mesa amdgpu driver (19.0.1) on Void Linux.

Edit: After looking at it again today, i've pinned it down to the msaa setting for me. If it's on 1, these problems don't occur for me and menus, maps and inventory disappear like normal.

Edited by RuralBuddha
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2019 at 2:21 AM, RuralBuddha said:

I am also experiencing this with the addition of it also applying when opening the menu/inventory and trying to return to the game. This is happening on a Vega 64, with the mesa amdgpu driver (19.0.1) on Void Linux.

Edit: After looking at it again today, i've pinned it down to the msaa setting for me. If it's on 1, these problems don't occur for me and menus, maps and inventory disappear like normal.

Thanks for the feedback and cheers for the troubleshooting! I tried changing a few graphics options in the game and had no success and then gave it up as probably hopeless.. will uninstall the Windows version and reinstall the Linux version after work in order to try out what fixed it for you : )

(Running it via Steam Play worked rather well too)

Edit. That worked! MSAA set to 1 in the graphics options in game made the map disappear again when dismissed. Thanks!

Edited by lampahöjd
Tried above poster's advice