What are you playing now: The New Thread

Amentep

Previous thread: 

Last post

17 minutes ago, SadExchange said:

Long time without a post, so may be winded lol.

Due to time and place, I've mostly been playing my Switch.  Have gone through Trine 1 and 2, Bastion, Transistor, Gris , a bunch of time spent with Slay the Spire, some Torchlight 2, a little of Blasphemous, and started a new game on Divinity Original Sin 2 (how did they get this on Switch and have it run so well).  Honestly love this little machine with a busier life as of late.  

I have Witcher 3 preordered which I cannot wait for.  I've beaten that a few times but its been a while and look forward to it on the go.  I realize in some of these games, downgrades were made, but playing on a smaller screen, it hasn't really been too bad.  Divinity has run superb and plays well on a controller.  Loading times are surprisingly decent and overall really enjoying it on another playthrough.  I know there's mixed feelings about DOS 2 on this forum, but the freedom and overall gameplay is what I've been enjoying most.

As I said, really excited about Witcher 3, but also Ori and the Blind Forest and then Children of Morta.  It's definitely a good time to be a gamer on the go.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I've actually gotten back into The Witcher 3 recently. Man, the game still looks amazing. When I played it originally, I did it using WINE to run it on Linux. It ran with a few minor graphical glitches and a fairly noticable performance hit which forced me to play on low/med settings. Running it now via Steam's Proton is like night and day. No graphical glitches and waaaaaaaay better performance, allowing me to run the game on mostly ultra settings at 1440p. Proton is pretty amazing.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

32 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I've actually gotten back into The Witcher 3 recently. Man, the game still looks amazing. When I played it originally, I did it using WINE to run it on Linux. It ran with a few minor graphical glitches and a fairly noticable performance hit which forced me to play on low/med settings. Running it now via Steam's Proton is like night and day. No graphical glitches and waaaaaaaay better performance, allowing me to run the game on mostly ultra settings at 1440p. Proton is pretty amazing.

I also started a another play-through of Witcher 3. I had beaten it a year ago on GOG and want to have another go at it, since I also grabbed The Witcher 3 on Steam when the GotY Edition was on sale recently.

Edited by wolfrider100

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

Going back and forth between Fire Emblem Three Houses, Greedfall, Dragon's Dogma, and Star Wars the Old Republic. Right now mostly Greedfall. Like it pretty well. I do think its funny how much press the game, seemingly from people who aren't familiar with eurojank. I think a lot of people were disappointed when they found out what kind of game Greedfall is. Frustrating 'cause I tried to tell the people I knew what to expect but they thought they were buying an AAA title.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, the_dog_days said:

Going back and forth between Fire Emblem Three Houses, Greedfall, Dragon's Dogma, and Star Wars the Old Republic. Right now mostly Greedfall. Like it pretty well. I do think its funny how much press the game, seemingly from people who aren't familiar with eurojank. I think a lot of people were disappointed when they found out what kind of game Greedfall is. Frustrating 'cause I tried to tell the people I knew what to expect but they thought they were buying an AAA title.

I'm planning to buy GreedFall sometime next month. Since I have a soft spot for Mars: War Logs, Bound by Flame and The Technomancer and this new game from Spiders seems like something I'll also like.

Edited by wolfrider100

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

For my money, The Witcher 3 sets the bar for dressing up mundane quests/tasks. Pretty much every RPG has kill x monsters and fetch quests, TW3 is no exception here, but what sets it apart is how well they disguise said quests with storytelling and great voice acting. 

I'm definitely getting GreedFall eventually, I've bought every previous Spiders RPG, why stop now? I'm mostly waiting for Proton support for the game to mature (I suppose I could buy it on PS4, but I'd rather get the PC version). As it stands it runs with tweaks and performance sucks via Proton. Still pretty amazing how many games run via Proton on day 1. Give it a few weeks and it will probably be in pretty good shape. I've got plenty of Witchering to do until then. In the meantime, I definitely welcome impressions of GreedFall.  I've seen reviews of the game that are all over the spectrum. Most agree it's definitely not AAA, but the closest Spiders have ever come to AAA production value. Gameplay and story, of course, are more important to me.

• Like 5

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Greedfall: the quest structure is great. Similar to Elex, quests are never really as straight forward as they first seem. The combat now has a full pause button which can make 'timing' dodges trivial, but as a slow paced gamer, I love it. Magic is more varied than it has been in any Spiders game to date. The setting is interesting, though not the biggest attraction for me. The companion characters don't look as physically distinct from one another as they do in either Bound By Flame or the Technomancer, which kinda makes them not stand out as much. The hub levels are larger than in any other Spiders' game. The tutorial is pretty long, similar to White Orchard in the Witcher 3 though a smaller hub with fewer quests. That's about all I can say without going into spoilers. 😄

• Like 1

I might try Witcher 3.  A good friend sings its praises.  I played the... first?  Second Witcher?  Anyhow, I wasn't super impressed, but I'm assured that 3 is the way to go.  However...

Oh my Lord!  Deadfire is better that the first Pillars.  I stalled on the White March after a while, but the base Pillars game was great.  Deadfire is better.  I don't know how much of that is the free DLC or patching, but it's a great game!  I regret the time I wasted on Divinity 2 because I'm getting back into crunch time and things like gaming and forums are going to have to be put aside.  Well, whatever.  Life is all about enjoying what it can offer when it offers it.

• Like 1

The woodwork beckons.

I still haven't finished Witcher 3's Blood and Wine dlc. The game looks great and I love the characters, but I just can't get warm with the gameplay. It took me a while to realize, but.... the game is boring me to death.

Now if I compare that to MGS5, which has a retarded story and is pretty lol half the time... but I can't stop playing that game. It's so much fun just doing whatever. The gameworld and gameplay is simply fun to toy around with. I'm pretty sure if I would boot up that game now and do one of the first missions again, I'd be hooked and won't touch anything else for at least the next two days.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Still slogging about BG. Found the kobold labyrinth; it appears my memory had helpfully suppressed that ghastly abomination but now it's all back. I still do not remember anything about my playthrough years ago, except since now this very godforsaken dungeon of tedium and emptiness. 

But then, it is my quintessential BG experience: dull, dreary, annoying to travel about, no good loot, reload whenever a trash kobold successfully hits you because it's embarrassing to have 50% of total HP (which is 4. 4, Karl!) sheared off by trash, then stumbling upon some random hostile mage and reloading until Silence connects. 

Can't wait to play "Baldurs Gate 2: sans rose-colored glasses" edition. 🧐

Edited by bugarup
There is cobalt, and there is kobold.

10 hours ago, Lexx said:

I still haven't finished Witcher 3's Blood and Wine dlc. The game looks great and I love the characters, but I just can't get warm with the gameplay. It took me a while to realize, but.... the game is boring me to death.

Yeah sadly I have to agree with this. I loved the base game but quit when, after beating the base game, I started Blood & Wine. The DLCs are of excellent quality. It's just that once you are high level the combat encounters become tedious chores to get through. Also, there's just not much, if any, character development left at that point, so ....

Most of my game time is still taken up with the mobile Idle Miner Tycoon tablet game. :p 30-60min. or so a day upgrading oodles of mines to increase "money" and bonuses per second, so next time I open the game I can upgrade even more! Mindless busywork when I wake up and my brain is barely functioning.

Also, still the digital jigsaw puzzles - another hour or so a day. I'm sick of ANY landscapes (sky, mountains, skylines, rivers, trees=puzzle-boring) and thus have become obsessed with UHD quality/pro pictures of food to turn into jigsaws. It's so nice you can find hundreds of such on the web now, I'll never run out. Food pics best pics for jigsaws!

Other than that, not much. Occasionally 15-30 minutes going through that visual novel Psychedelia Of the Ashen Hawk (the one with the funny-bad chr. expressions, sigh). I should really trek through more of Eastshade and DQ:Builders 2 but just haven't been feeling that type of gaming urge too often this summer.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Played little bit more CK1. Started war against Turks aaand it was kind of intense. They were able to pull 50k of troops out of nowhere in no time. They were also defeating most of my troops due to attrition on their territories. So I found out, even if you have more than 600k soldiers in all of your territories, the other big empires can make you sweat with much lower number of troops, if they have much better access and low supply limit in their provinces. In the end, I was able to grab two small provinces from them and with that a title King of Georgia. With lucky random event, I even got to +2 stability with my Kingdom 🙂

25 more years to finish the game.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

9 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Also, there's just not much, if any, character development left at that point, so ....

Character development wise there is a whole new 'ability tree' introduced in one of B&W's questlines. It's not directly advertised in its quest description though, and first time through it ended up being one of the last quests I did.

• Thanks 1

Mafia 2.  Isn't too bad, although never really get to see much in the city - though not like there's much to do anyway.   Also spending time flailing about in EU4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, GhostofAnakin said:

Picked up Borderlands 3.  Way too early into it to even give much opinion on it other than to say it's playing (so far) like the previous game.

I would mostly be curious about performance of the game. I've seen videos of 1080ti's at Ultra/1440 going 75fps and also 2080ti's at Ultra/4k going 50ish average. Probably varies some depending on other rig stats and impact of recording software, ofc. Not that I need Ultra settings with any game (Ultra is just for screenshots, as they say), especially with BL's graphic style. But considering BL2 was fairly undemanding even on my ancient old rig, I wonder what they've done/added to make it so demanding now.

Also, I heard DX12 can cause crashing issues for some. I think I'll be glad to wait the 6 months or year or whatever it is so I'll get a patched  game with all or most dlc already out.  😄

Edit: andddd....75GB install? Come on people/devs, do we really need so much that AAA games have to become this ginormous? In a couple years people will say FFXV's install size is tiny.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

12 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I would mostly be curious about performance of the game. I've seen videos of 1080ti's at Ultra/1440 going 75fps and also 2080ti's at Ultra/4k going 50ish average. Probably varies some depending on other rig stats and impact of recording software, ofc. Not that I need Ultra settings with any game (Ultra is just for screenshots, as they say), especially with BL's graphic style. But considering BL2 was fairly undemanding even on my ancient old rig, I wonder what they've done/added to make it so demanding now.

Also, I heard DX12 can cause crashing issues for some. I think I'll be glad to wait the 6 months or year or whatever it is so I'll get a patched  game with all or most dlc already out.  😄

Edit: andddd....75GB install? Come on people/devs, do we really need so much that AAA games have to become this ginormous? In a couple years people will say FFXV's install size is tiny.

I'm not going to be any help to you.  I'm playing the PS4 version.  ;)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'm currently going through the Bloody Baron quest chain in TW3. I've been looking forward to this. You know a series of quests was well designed when you remember all of it vividly years later and yet still look forward to going through all of it again despite knowing all the plot twists beforehand.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

5 hours ago, GhostofAnakin said:

I'm not going to be any help to you.  I'm playing the PS4 version.  ;)

Yeah...I'll be slightly constantly tempted to buy it there so I could at least check it out, but then I'd still need to buy it again (twice) on Steam so hubby and I could play, so ... nah.  I better not. 😄

Edited by LadyCrimson

I was randomly inspired to pick CK2 back up again but I guess some patch had come out and my saves are broken because the main mod I was using is not compatible and whatnot. So I fired up a new game as a custom Doge of Amalfi since that's my wife's most favorite place that we've ever been.

Less than 50 years later I control a good chunk of Italy and I'm married to a Byzantine princess (though I'm no where near strong enough to press that claim yet). I forgot how much bigger retinues can get for a republic and I have a large one, retinue that is, and a nice standing army at my family mansion. I'm also l really, really rich so I can afford mercs as needed.

I've had some pretty lucky breaks so far because there have been a lot of nearby revolts which I have taken advantage of by attacking whichever side was losing or I didn't have a truce with and taking a province here and there. The only thing I really have to worry about there is that I have to win before either side does but it's been mostly easy pickings otherwise.

The only really close call was when I tried to take Rome from the pope. Luckily for me the other Catholic nations took their sweet time before joining in and the Pope surrendered just before their stacks of doom made it to me.

• Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

18 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I'm currently going through the Bloody Baron quest chain in TW3. I've been looking forward to this. You know a series of quests was well designed when you remember all of it vividly years later and yet still look forward to going through all of it again despite knowing all the plot twists beforehand.

Dandelion's quest chain is even better (though a lot of people skipped it).

• Like 1

I still need to play TW3 but I've been dragging my feet because the second game put me off the series pretty hard and I'veheard you have to play different characters at  some points in the game which is an instant turn off.

Edited by ShadySands
Is my text partially highlighted for anyone else?

Free games updated 3/4/21

52 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I still need to play TW3 but I've been dragging my feet because the second game put me off the series pretty hard and I'veheard you have to play different characters at  some points in the game which is an instant turn off.

Yes, yes it is.

My Witcher 3 playthrough has been dragging on since its release. Not sure why but it doesn't seem to drive me forward. When I do play it it's a case of "Whoa, is it that late already?" but once I quit the game I feel no urge to pick it up again. Kinda weird.

Anyway, so far I've only ever had to do sections as Ciri, which wasn't bad at all, and none of those have been particularly long.

Edited by marelooke