What are you playing now: The New Thread

Amentep

I am very keen to start playing RDR2 for PC which has some enhancements, what do people generally think about this game?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It's a sort of GTA in wild west.

tl,dr because I wrote about it often already in here - The story is captivating, the characters are very likable, and the game world is full of details, making it feel alive. Combat gets tedious after a while, because the game is just throwing mindless drones at you. The game is also 100% linear. It's a Rockstar game, alright.

PS: If you want the game to look like on PS4(pro), you'll need a beefy PC. The minimum requirements aren't so bad, but it takes a toll on the graphic side, and IMO you'll miss out a lot if you don't run it on very high / ultra settings. A big part of the game is riding through the landscape and be in awe of what you see.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Just finished The Outer Worlds. This is my favorite Obsidian game to date. It is very much a Firefly type setting, and I loved it. The characters were all fantastic and nuanced in a way we rarely get in video games. The ending wrapped up very nicely, with my story being complete, but plenty of room for more mysteries to solve in future games.

• Like 3

Wow, that is quite some praise! I'll wait until the game becomes available on Steam. Getting that Microsoft pass has been tempting, but I decided against it - too much work and still a big backlog.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

16 hours ago, Lexx said:

I couldn't get into Blooborne at all. Played it for a few hours, but it didn't hook me. Also I hated the character movements... pretty sure it was never that sensitive in any Dark Souls games.

We'll see how Elden Ring turns out.  Whilst I'm certainly not a G.R.R.M fanatic, him teaming up with Miyazaki could potentially produce something that breaks the whole industry.  Will remain cautiously optimistic.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MedicineDan said:

I've never tried Dark Souls, but I keep seeing people post about it.  I'm sure that means I'll break down and play it somewhere along the line.  I started Disco Elysium, but it hasn't caught me yet.  Granted, I died of a heart attack in the first five minutes trying to reach for my tie.  That was interesting at least.  Haven't had time to play it except for 10 minutes altogether, but I'll probably dabble latter tonight.

DS requires some dedication and somehow has very captivating combat, once you get the general idea of it. So it tends to remain in memory, otherwise you get stuck pretty early.

---

Got through the Lost Bastille in DSII:SotFS. The Pursuer appeared about 3 times, while I was exploring the place. And there were more phantoms available to summon, than in the vanilla. Now I hope to acquire a bonfire ascetic and the Sinner's NG+ soul for the Chaos Blade. It seems to be the best weapon for a dex build. Currently I'm using Falchion +6.

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2019 at 1:43 PM, Mamoulian War said:

Another game from Stasis universe finished today: CAYNE: Deluxe Edition. It was as good as previous, although much shorter. The puzzles were less complicated, although few of them gave me headaches, while trying to solve them :). The ending was this time much more predictable, but it did not spoiled my enjoyment of the game.

I feel you, homie. I'm considering selling my plasma so I can afford a new GPU for TOW...hehehe.

13 hours ago, Lexx said:

It's a sort of GTA in wild west.

tl,dr because I wrote about it often already in here - The story is captivating, the characters are very likable, and the game world is full of details, making it feel alive. Combat gets tedious after a while, because the game is just throwing mindless drones at you. The game is also 100% linear. It's a Rockstar game, alright.

PS: If you want the game to look like on PS4(pro), you'll need a beefy PC. The minimum requirements aren't so bad, but it takes a toll on the graphic side, and IMO you'll miss out a lot if you don't run it on very high / ultra settings. A big part of the game is riding through the landscape and be in awe of what you see.

The good news is I have a very high end relatively new PC, I invested in the Geoforce  RTX 2080ti and I very keen to push it towards  maximum performance where possible in games like this

Wasnt one of the reasons you invested in a console was to play RDR1, how would you compare the games? 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm playing "Return of the Obra Dinn", multiple murder mystery in the ever delightful ghost ship setting. it makes me feel blind, unobservant, mentally deficient and very invested. I even willingly make scribbles in actual paper notebook! Which is funny because I resent when RPGs want me to do that (I be like, "C'mon computer, if you can throw dice and do other math for me, you can bloody well keep geography pointers and quest giver locations too, you daft thing 😠"), but Obra Dinn is willing to meet me halfway there by also having its own in-game book to fill and somehow it makes keeping paper notes fun instead of annoying. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bugarup said:

I'm playing "Return of the Obra Dinn", multiple murder mystery in the ever delightful ghost ship setting. it makes me feel blind, unobservant, mentally deficient and very invested. I even willingly make scribbles in actual paper notebook! Which is funny because I resent when RPGs want me to do that (I be like, "C'mon computer, if you can throw dice and do other math for me, you can bloody well keep geography pointers and quest giver locations too, you daft thing 😠"), but Obra Dinn is willing to meet me halfway there by also having its own in-game book to fill and somehow it makes keeping paper notes fun instead of annoying. 

Great and convincing endorsement of this style of gaming, I like and I can  appreciate the balance of sometimes you need to take " normal "  notes and hand written observations but the game must also assist in its own way so the experience isnt frustrating in the interests of time

For example I like in some RPG where you first need to discover the teleportation device before you can use them like in the Gothic games

John Milton 

55 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Wasnt one of the reasons you invested in a console was to play RDR1, how would you compare the games? 

Yes. Imo RDR2 is a lot better than the first game. It improves in pretty much every area.

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

1 minute ago, Lexx said:

Yes. Imo RDR2 is a lot better than the first game. It improves in pretty much every area.

I am still considering buying a console for the same reasons, I dont want to be denied playing certain games because they dont have a PC version :thumbsup:

John Milton 

Last night I finished Metro Exodus and it was definitely a fitting and worthy successor to previous Metro games

The game was graphically brilliant and I was able to run everything on maximum settings which added to the overall positive experience. But it also has those components I have come to enjoy about Metro games. For example you have to deal with numerous murderous  human factions and there are  those frenetic battles in the dark with mutants which are always both exciting and brutal 

You also learn how to avoid certain battles because of the scarcity of ammunition and general resources that exist in this post-apocalyptic world  . But overall it was an excellent game and I give it a solid 75/100 8)

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

On 11/12/2019 at 1:03 AM, GhostofAnakin said:

I don't know whether I'll love Death Stranding or think it's the dumbest thing I ever played.

The magic of Kojima games is that they are simultaneously great and exceedingly dumb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I defeated Cannoneer & Blade Bearer in my NG+ Code Vein run. In the standard run I breezed through this battle, completed it first try. This time around I struggled mightily. Part of it, I think, is the glass cannon build I'm using right now. The build is based around buffing the bejesus out of my weapon attacks, but it does leave me extremely vulnerable and with 2 bosses in 1 battle, it's hard to battle 1 and keep track of the other to not get blindsided. Still, I got the job done eventually and I'm now in the final stretch of the game. The Skull King battle, the hardest battle in the game IMHO still awaits, but I think I have an ace up my sleeve. The main difficulty of that battle is when he goes into phase 3 at approximately 15-20% health remaining. My plan is that if I get an opening when he's really close to that threshold and I'm sufficiently buffed up and I can pop Merciless Reaper (next attack ignores defenses) and hit him with Severing Abyss (a slow jumping attack that does roughly 500% damage)I can just outright kill him right there and he never even goes into phase 3. That's the theory, anyway.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

14 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Last night I finished Metro Exodus and it was definitely a fitting and worthy successor to previous Metro games

It certainly has that Russian "survivalist" atmosphere that became prominent in the immediate post Soviet era, however I do not like the steep system requirements, as I can play pretty much everything else on High+ w/o difficulties whilst I have to tone it down to medium on this one.  Still worth it though.  My favorite part of the game is when they are on the train and Miller orders his crew to shoot the infiltrators and someone (forgot who) responds "Shoot them?  What is this, the Reich?" xD good times.

Anyway still playing Code Vein, this game has some tough boss battles that's for sure!  I do love the character creation though, as I can make myself look like the ultimate Comrade and semi play the part to.

• Like 2

I have reached the very last area in my NG+ run in Code Vein. This area is fairly large, has a number of traps, and, as you can imagine, contains the strongest regular enemies in the game, as well as a few mini-bosses and several true bosses. It will be slow going for sure, but I'm  this close to the finish line, so I gotta see it through. I've done everything necessary to get the true ending so far, just one thing left to do, and it's in this area.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Probably should have done hardest difficulty in NG+ Witcher 3.  Motored through Imlerith, shame Aerondight didn't proc on him - although it did light up like a lightsaber so maybe it did and I didn't notice.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I have been playing a ton of Battle Brothers and it is brilliant. I don't know how I missed this originally, but now that it has been fleshed out with 3 DLC's, I imagine it is even better than it was at release. It is kind of a mix of Jagged Alliance and Mount & Blade. You have this medieval mercenary company to manage, and you go around taking jobs. But it is brutally hard, so you will definitely lose mercs along the way. Sometimes they don't die, they just get grievously injured. I have one guy who swings an axehammer like nobody's business, but he has lost an eye and has a weak heart from all the battles we have fought. He sits in reserve now, I don't have the heart to let him go, but whenever he does need to step in and fight, he somehow manages to pull off a couple kills and get hurt himself. He has 30+ kills in about 35 battles.