What are you playing now: The New Thread

Amentep

2 minutes ago, melkathi said:

One of these days they'll make it work without Windows 2000 compatibility mode ;)

Wasn't the issue that it couldn't deal with multi-core CPUs? I seem to remember having to force it onto a single core to stop the game from crashing to the desktop.

Awakening otoh, I ran into a game breaking bug. Given the state that expansion launched in I guess it was already a miracle I made it that far in before encountering issues, but I digress... I decided to wait for a patch for the issue, which took a long time to arrive so I never actually got back to that playthrough.

Heh, I still have that game on discs too, so I actually wonder how that's going to work now that all the BioWare infrastructure is gone, can I even still get the DLC to work, for example (there's download on EA's site, so I hope they have that covered)? Could be a fun ride just to get all that working again 😛

I was waiting for them to address the issue were quite a few people could only run it in win2000 compatibility. All the other issues were just icing on the cake for me. So I never bought it.

Months later someone necroed a post of mine with speculations about the expansion and told me I had been right in every point and didn't need to buy it 😛

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

A mix of Star Trek Online and The Outer Worlds

TOW is really not my kind of game but I just finished starter planet and am still enjoying it so far but I fear that I'll be over it before I can finish it. Makes me wonder how much I'll get out of Cyberpunk and Bloodlines2 which are also first person only

Free games updated 3/4/21

3 hours ago, melkathi said:

I was waiting for them to address the issue were quite a few people could only run it in win2000 compatibility. All the other issues were just icing on the cake for me. So I never bought it.

Months later someone necroed a post of mine with speculations about the expansion and told me I had been right in every point and didn't need to buy it 😛

There was a lot wrong with DA:O but the newer installments still managed to "fix" everything that wasn't broken.

If only a better studio (well, or one not managed by EA, at least) had gotten its hands on that engine, the things that could have been. I think I...need a moment. *sniffle* :(

On anything other than supernova, you can basically ignore companions.  I only have Parvati at the moment, but she manages to get killed regularly then pops up after combat.  You can anchor them if you need to stealth.  On normal level, the difficulty is trivial.  Actually, I think I have it set at veteran or one down from SN.  I can't remember.

• Like 1

"Not for the sake of much time..."

Truth told, the hardcore mode in FNV felt a lot better to me. Primarily (I guess), because it was a lot easier to have companions not die on you all the time.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

4 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

TOW seems to have a fair amount of perks for not having companions with you, so I plan on playing through that way after my first friendly run.

Yeah, same here.  I like the banter, though.  I'm actually fond of Parvati.  I finally got Max into my party, but I put off doing his quest til last.  Something about the guy just gets under my skin.

"Not for the sake of much time..."

12 hours ago, melkathi said:

Do you have companions in TOW? I hate having those in first person games.

You can solo if you want.  When you leave your ship, you can decide on zero, one, or two companions.  I mainly bring two along because their banter is kind of amusing.

Been leaving Parvati on the ship because I ran into a bug that's causing her to be considered "dead" when one of her companion quests starts up, so I don't want anything to do with her until that's patched.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I don't really like "like" any of the companions so far. But for some reason that started after I realized most of my cast is female... and most of the boss guys are female. Didn't made a statistic for it, but I have a feeling most of the important characters in the game are female. Not that that's inherently wrong, but... it just feels so artificial to me. I remember FNV being much more balanced in that area.

It's the same I had when playing Battletech the last time. Felt like all I did was getting jobs from female politicians, killing female pirates (do they hate woman??? Or is that an attempt at presenting stronk woymen?).

I really should have made a tally sheet when starting the game.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

yes Lexx, come to the dark side :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Obsidian are clearly SJWs,  Avellone was the only one holding them back.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

12 minutes ago, Oner said:

Are you saying Avellone was the reason Tess Treadwell left?

No idea who that is, so no.  Wasn't being serious, obviously 😛

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Oner said:

and pushes for gay/lesbian companions

You sure about that? I can't remember anything in that direction.

I meant Tess saying that. Back in the FNV days, I've read through / watched almost any interview related to the game, and right now I'm feeling like this would have stuck with me. Especially because I never felt like "FNV is too gay" (which is what certain other folks were saying a lot).

Edited by Lexx

"We certainly didn’t intend for New Vegas to change anyone’s outlook on life, but if it did so for the better, then we’re happy for them – for you. Although I’ve been out for a very long time, I made a conscious effort to be out with relation to this project, as I wanted to be visible as a lesbian in the game industry. New Vegas itself is, I think, one of (if not the) best games out there in how we treat homosexuality – and all of that is very intentional. If my work on FNV, if my being out has helped even one gay person, then I have succeeded."

It's not the same quote but the intended message is pretty much the same.

Yeeeeaaahhh... I dunno. I'm interpreting that as "we are trying to handle homosexuality in the game more realistically than other games" ... and I'd say that succeeded. I never felt it to be over the top, because nobody is beating this into you unless you ask for it (ask the NPCs I mean).

Now let's take that one Mass Effect game... don't remember which one (probably the first), where when you talk with a certain character, suddenly the whole dialog atmosphere turns gay. Now that one wasn't very subtle at all.

Edited by Lexx